[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /an/. I got my first dog. He is a lab/dachshund mix. Whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1458095445417.jpg (23 KB, 530x360) Image search: [Google]
1458095445417.jpg
23 KB, 530x360
Hello /an/.

I got my first dog. He is a lab/dachshund mix. Whenever we go on walks, he just sort of exists in his own world. He doesn't really pull too much. I've tried a choke chain and I've tried doing some of the stuff Zak George recommends, but I just cannot get him to pay attention to me. I try "leave it" and "watch me" and sometimes he will briefly break his concentration, but for the most part, he just merrily trots along until I let him freely sniff about.

Am I just sort of out of luck? I've read other people having similar issue with hound-type dogs who weren't trained to walk on a lead from a very early age. Do I just keep working with him positively and hope for progress?
>>
>>2089397
Well if he doesn't pull I don't really see the problem. He's just having fun and sniffing stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it
>>
>>2089411
So its okay he doesn't pay attention to me? That he just sort goes forward like a zombie to get to a point where he can have fun sniffing?

I just feel weird about it.
>>
>>2089411
It's okay for dogs to be observant of the world on walks, but they should be paying enough attention to you to stop when you stop. Start training him for eye contact when you stop, basically stop until he looks and quickly mark and reward (either with food or with getting to keep walking). When he starts to do it on his own reward intermittently with jackpot rewards (lots of treats and/or loud praise and excitement). And if he ever does pull, stop immediately and make him come stand next to you with eye contact before continuing forward.

It will take some practice, all of this, and you'll look like an idiot at first stopping and starting a lot on walks, but it will pay off when you have a behaved dog.

When he gets this down start looking to train the heel command, this is useful during those times you need him directly next to you closely responding to your movement. You shouldn't expect this behavior on a normal walk, but it's really handy in crowds or if you're walking past something that might be tempting/dirty/dangerous.
>>
>>2089495
I do a lot of this. Instead of stopping, I walk backwards until he makes eye contact, praise and move forward. I once in a while catch him glancing to his right (as I walk him on his left). I cannot tell if he is looking at me or looking at his surroundings.

A lot of the time when we stop, he just stares forward in this unbreakable concentration (especially if there is a distraction). I hold a treat to his nose and nothing. "Leave it, leave it, leave it" will sometimes get his eyes to mine, but they immediately go back into the trance. I do my best to mark, but he usually refocuses his attention so quickly I cannot do it properly.

It doesn't feel like I am doing anything wrong, but he is just so stubborn and set in his ways. I just hope he enjoys the walks instead of views them as a chore or something not fun. That's all I really worry about.
>>
>>2089471

He sees you all day, let him look at what he wants.

I know a lot of people are strict about how they want their dogs to walk; some want loose leash, some want taut leashes without pulling, some want no sniffing or marking at all etc

When I take my dogs for a walk, I let them do what they want, with very few rules. No jumping on strangers, no serious pulling and try to avoid peeing/pooing on the lawns of homes (there is a convenient school lawn along my walking route if they need) Other than that they can walk how they want, sniff what they want, meet other dogs etc. The walk is for them to enjoy.
>>
>>2089541
That is an interesting perspective, thank you for sharing anon.

I guess I am just really overthinking how a walk needs to be. I suppose he doesn't need to walk perfectly in heel every moment, and it is okay he is enjoying himself and not paying much attention to me. Maybe I'll come up with a handful of rules for our walk and let it be his time. I do let him sniff and mark every now and then to his heart's content (which he seems to really be into both), but I should focus on making it a good time for him.

The only thing I am conflicted on his habit of planting himself with all his strength to sniff a spot while it isn't his free time. What do yall think? Is that okay behavior and I should just let him sniff the smell, or keep walking (Which is what I do now)?
>>
>>2089714
Posy pics of your dog and I'll advise you further
>>
File: 20160213_144857.jpg (355 KB, 1688x3000) Image search: [Google]
20160213_144857.jpg
355 KB, 1688x3000
>>2089716
This is the doggo in question.
>>
>>2089397
i have a beagle who i have had since puppyhood and personally i can say that they arent very good leash dogs. hounds are meant to work independently from humans which is why they are mostly poor on the leash. i have a catahoula who is 11 weeks and already out performs the beagle on leash
>>
>>2089714
Its depends. Its nice to let him sniff and enjoy himself, but he shouldn't be allowed to be too stubborn.

I think your concerns will be worked out with time and bonding. When he's being stubborn, just continue walking and he'll start to learn that he needs to pay attention to what you are doing, and when you want to leave.

If you work on training your dog, he'll start to be more in tune with you, and more aware and focused during walks.
>>
>>2089725
You should let him run your life desu
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.