[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh God, I don't know how I should explain this. I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: pic related.jpg (12 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
12 KB, 274x184
Oh God, I don't know how I should explain this.

I bought two keets from my neighbor last summer, we wound up with two girls. Everything was going well until a few days ago when I noticed one egg in the nest box I placed in their coop. I knew Guineas don't lay year round, so I was interested in seeing how their eggs were. When I got home from work today, I noticed one of my girls was walking funny. I picked her up to have a closer look at her, and I discovered her vent had prolapsed. I was fucking horrified. I didn't to prolong her suffering, so I put her down and buried her in the yard. I feel horrible, I was at work for most of the day, so who knows how long she was like that? That first egg was laid two days ago, and there weren't any more eggs from either of them after that. Could the prolapse have had something to do with the egg, assuming she was the one who laid it? I don't know how frequently they lay, these are my first and only guineas. I'm just trying to figure out what happened. This has never happened with any of my chickens.

Pic related, but not my bird.
>>
>>2086589
How bad was the prolapse?
>>
>>2086589
What do the two parakeets have to do with this story? I'm confused. ...
>>
>>2086596
It was pretty fucking bad. Stuck out a good four or five inches, maybe a little more. It was really gruesome. Not only her vent, but a bit of her intestine as well. I'm sorry I don't have pictures, I didn't think to take any before I buried her.\

>>2086598
Young guinea fowl are called keets
>>
Well, the eggs are totally delicious so OMG, eat it! Seriously. I miss my guinea fowl just because of those eggs. The shells are insane hard though so you really have to wack them to break them open. And why didn't you eat the one you killed? And you better get more soon or your one lonely guinea will fly away.
>>
>>2086954
I don't know, I didn't eat the one I killed because I was kind of in shock I guess. I buried her, and that was that. The remaining guinea hen goes in the chicken coop to sleep at night, but during the day she wanders around my property, exploring as usual. The chickens don't seem to mind her, can guineas socialize properly with chickens? I can't get another guinea at the moment, and I have six chickens including my rooster.
>>
>>2087119
I had a guinea that stayed in the same pen with one of our chickens and they got along well.
>>
Is that not fixable? I was under the impression prolapses were readily fixable.
>>
>>2087730
this was definitely not fixable, she ripped part of herself off when I was trying to catch her, but even before that she was dragging her intestines all over the ground;
>>
>>2086589
I'm glad you killed your guinea hen. That was super humane and kind of you.
>>
>>2086589

Could be egg bound, never had anything like that happen to mine before.
>>
>>2087754

That's fixable.

>get tube
>place tube in butt through the prolapse
>place elastrator band over prolapse as near to the assholes as possible

Never bothered doing it to a bird cause they are cheap enough to replace it's not worth the effort, but prolapse is easy to fix.
>>
>>2089475

Ripping a part of her innards off and having her actual intestines dragging on the ground is NOT fixable. Her insides would have gone septic from all the bacteria, even disemboweled humans have a hard time escaping infection from that kind of injury.

The bottom line is that this didn't just sound like a prolapse.
>>
Here's my remaining Guinea, she still hasn't laid an egg yet, so I'm hoping she turns out fine.
>>
>>2089514
If this wasn't just a prolapse, what do you think it was? None of my chickens have ever gone through that, so I've never seen it.
>>
>>2089623
Aw! You even put in a nice perch for her! She's totally adorable. You should get a couple more to keep her company. I'm not sure if chickens will be enough to keep her from flying away.
>>
>>2089514

Dig her up and show me, it sounds pretty damn fixable to me. I've had some goats prolapse bad enough to warrant a vet, and he has literally ripped off the bad flesh shoved it in, and sewed the anus up enough to stop the prolapse from being pushed back out. This isn't exactly rocket science.
>>
>>2090396
Sorry, I'm not going to dig up a week old corpse.
>>
>>2089860
I've made an arrangement with my neighbor, she wants to give me two guinea hens to replace the one I lost. She has hundreds of chickens and guineas, so it's not a huge deal to give one or two away for free.
>>
>>2090396

>>2090396

I'm a veterinarian and I can attest to the fact that this is indeed exactly how we fix such problems. We rip off the bad flesh, shove it in, and sew the anus up. Nothing goes wrong, it all ends up well, and it is in fact not at all rocket science.
>>
>>2090600
Does this procedure work the same way for birds? The anatomy is quite different.
>>
>>2090589
Damn! I like your neighbor. Can I move into the neighborhood?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.