[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cat General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91
File: exotic shorthair.jpg (96 KB, 472x539) Image search: [Google]
exotic shorthair.jpg
96 KB, 472x539
Old thread got archived >>2066485
>>
Hahaha
>>
File: DSC_0088.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0088.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
I adopted this cute little furball two days ago . Very cute and friendly but so far has spent the entire weekend under my bed and the couch.

Hasn't eaten or drinken much so I worry about that.
>>
>>2080732
Just make sure food and water is always available and he/she knows where it is.
>>
I was relaxing and my cat came up an licked and rubbed himself on my armpit (gross yes), he started to lick it a couple of times, then outta nowhere he bite me.

He doesnt often bite and I got angry and pushed his face down into the bed since I dont like being bitten.

Is it normal they bite armpits after smelling ?
>>
cats r gay
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 639x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 639x1136
Here Is James, the chillest motherfuck of all. He likes looking straight in your eyes, like a real person. :^)
>>
>>2080880
You are lucky I am not your friend.
whenever I would come to your place I would go to that cat and look in its eyes, completly ignoring you.
That blue is so gorgeous :O
>>
>>2080896
I know right. Heck, his eyes aren't even at their best on that picture ;^)
>>
>>2080768
Sometimes cats get them selves worked up over certain smells(like catnip). My cat does it to me after I exercise. He will rub his face all over my feet and then bite. It's like he doesn't know how to act once he has gotten that excited so he bites. But this is also playful behavior, if he wanted to hurt me his body language would be totally different and wouldn't of let go. So yes it's kind of normal but the bitting should be discouraged.
>>
File: 1205150338c~2~2.jpg (167 KB, 1080x1708) Image search: [Google]
1205150338c~2~2.jpg
167 KB, 1080x1708
I have some cat food questions, please help?

>I've been feeding "I and Love and You". What are your opinions on this brand (both wet and dry)?

>I've been feeding them 50/50 dry and wet food mixed together. Is this good, or should I ditch the dry altogether?

>Are there any better brands of wet and dry I could get that aren't very expensive like Orijen and Nature's Variety?

I want them to eat good food. But I don't want to buy into anything that might be gimmicky or have a lot of useless fillers.
>>
>>2080732
Some cats get super scared when moving into a new home
Leave out some kibble and water by the couch and bed, and just leave the little dude to himself. He's overwhelmed, and cats respond to being overwhelmed by just sort of shutting down.

>>2081530
Never heard of that brand.

Wet is best, but also expensive. 50/50 is a reasonable comrpmise.

No.
>>
>>2081530
I'm not too familiar with the brand but I can say mixing dry and wet isn't bad. Too much dry food can be very dehydrating for your cat. And I would avoid anything that is too heavely dyed. Most cats do not do well with foods with red dyes. Wet food will help keep your cat hydrated. Too much wet food will allow plaque to build up which is why having dry food mixed in is good. The dry food is abrasive which should help with the plaque build up. Hopefully that helps
>>
Do your cats like each other?
Mine do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NLnycyydjc
>>
File: spiderowl.jpg (48 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
spiderowl.jpg
48 KB, 300x350
Rescue kitten won't stop trying to breastfeed on my shirt
He's well-fed and has food available
What do
>>
File: 1446685810959s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1446685810959s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>2081612
>>
>>2081612
He will grow out of it. They say that when a kitten tries to nurse on you after they are supposed to be done with nursing may mean he was separated from the mother too soon. My two kittens did the same to me for about a month.
>>
>>2081633
My cat did it when she was 10 years old.
I think they just like doing it if you are squishy enough.
>>
File: 35813k0.jpg (77 KB, 688x430) Image search: [Google]
35813k0.jpg
77 KB, 688x430
I applied to adopt a sweet older kitty from the shelter and finally got approved today! Pic related, sort of looks like her. I'm super excited to pick her up on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm going to be shopping for her. I'm 20 and I grew up with cats, but I've never had my own pet before.

These are the things I'm buying tomorrow:
>Litter box
>Scoop & bags
>Food/bowls
>Toys
>treats
>scratchy post
>pet carrier
Am I forgetting anything?
And does anyone have any advice for helping an older cat settle into her new home comfortably? (She's 7).
>>
>>2081815
Buying cat toys is a waste of money. Just crumple up pieces of paper, give her hair ties, milk rings, etc. My car is obsessed with cheap cotton winter gloves.
>>
>2081824
Yeah, the toys are more for me than for her. In the past, though, cats I've played with have always loved those plastic balls with jingle bells in them. But mostly, having cute kitty toys lying around will make me smile.
>>
Everytime I play with my cat she quickly runs out of breath and starts panting. Her breathing is sometimes really fast and her voice is sometimes hoarse.
This is getting me really worried and I'm thinking about taking her to the vet. Is it something I should worry? She's about 5 months old.
>>
>>2081836
Is she panting like a dog? When my cat was young she used to do this as well because she tired herself out or got too excited. As she grew older and lazier, she stopped.

If it sounds like she is struggling to breathe, definitely take her to the vet.
>>
>>2081838
Yes, just like a dog.
That's a relief. It doesn't looks like she's in pain or anything, but I'll still ask the vet.
>>
>>2081815
You forgot a bed, anon! Kitties need nice and comfy beds.

How did she get to the shelter, anon? Was she a stray? An owner surrender? How well an old cat settles depends a lot on her background. Both my little ones were old when I adopted them. My girl was 5. She came from a home where she was well loved but just couldn't be cared for anymore. She pranced about the house like she owned it the second she came home. My older boy was about 9, and it took him a week to finally explore, but I also suspect he was abused or neglected at his prior home (he has big trust issues and will not let new people touch him).

Basically, it depends on the cat. Take it at her pace. If she is hiding under the sofa or bed, don't bother her and leave her alone for the most part. You can offer her a treat every now and then and leave food, but don't pressure her to come out or anything. But if she is exploring and exciting and wanting cuddles, then give them to her.
>>
>>2081857
You're right! I should get her a bed and make her a cozy corner by the window. We actually know nothing about her background other than the fact that she's been up for adoption for a long time. We'll get to see her and learn more about her past on Wednesday when we go in for our interview. We do know, however, that she's a "priority adoption" and bounced from another shelter where she may have lived for years. It's been a long time since she's been in a forever home, although she's in foster care now.

Thanks so much for your long and thoughtful reply! Did your boy ever warm up enough to be a cuddler?
>>
Is raising a pair of kittens in a small apartment feasible for a single who works a 9-5? Or should I look to adopt an older shelter cat?
>>
>>2081882
Do you have a neighbor or someone who can check in on them during the day? Leaving two kittens alone to wreak havoc on your apartment all day every day sounds like a bad idea. They need supervision.
>>
>>2081886
Probably not. I won't have any furniture that I really care if they scratch up or not. I will have a TV and desktop monitor though. Do cats mess those things up? Would coming home during lunch break help?
>>
one of my late cats had an obsession with grooming...me.hair, eyebrows, etc.anyone else's cat do this?
>>
>>2081882
shelter cat, seriously. kittens can be difficult to deal with, especially in apartments.
>>
>>2081899
I second the vote for giving an older cat a home!
>>
My 8 month old cat that I have had for five months is still scared of me and will runaway if I go near it and fear purrs when I hold it How do I get it to be unscared? Can I trade it in for a non scared cat?
>>
I have one of those yoga ball chairs; does anyone have suggestions for catproofing it?
>>
>>2080765
>>2081542
Well a couple of days has passed now so I can tell that the cat does eat, however she doesn't seem to like dry food that much as she only seems to take very small amount of it. Now wet food that she ate like a champ when I gave it to her, going to try a different brand of dry food and hope she will like that one more.

Having said that I also have no idea where and when she sleeps, at the moment my guess is under my bed when I'm as sleep or on my bed when I'm at work.
>>
Hey /an/

I recently took my 12 month old cat to the vet and the veterinarian (who is amazing btw) gave us a couple months worth of Advantage Multi for cats (the gel kind you put on the base of the skull). Well even though we applied it as stated since my cat has pretty short and soft hair it eventually made a greasy spot. We read it takes 2-3 days to fully soak into the skin so we don't want to wash it off however we were wondering if it is okay to get on our hands if we pet him? It's been a day and for the most part it has "dried" but it is still definitely there and while we try out best to miss the spot as we rub him, he loves running his head into our hands/legs and running it down to his back (which inevitably drags the hand or leg on the spot).
>>
>>2083856

I think I should clarify, but "getting on our hands" we are more concerned about spreading it rather than it irritating our skin. It isn't enough were if we touch it our hands feel greasy (but it does seem oily so that may be misleading), however if we rub it, and then rub his body we don't want him getting sick.
>>
Soon to be first time cat owner here.

Is there any reason to not adopt a cat from a shelter? I'd prefer to get a cat that is already litterbox trained, but is that hard to do if there aren't any available?
>>
How dirty should the insides of my cats' ears be ?
They were extremely dirty and scratching at them, so I took them to the vet and they scooped it out with a qtip and gave me antibiotic ear drops, said the cats had ear mites.

I've given them the eardrops for the 3 weeks they were supposed to take them but now I'm noticing their ears getting dirty again.

Does this mean more mites?
>>
Hey lads I've a cat at home which had really bad experiences with other cats when she was younger (she's 4 months nowadays). At her previous home she used to be bullied by the older cats.
I've started to help a stray cat that comes to eat early morning in front of my house and I've been thinking about adopting her too. What should I do to make her introduction as smooth as possible for everyone?
>>
>>2083856
You don't want it to touch your skin. Is not s big deal for it to spread, since the oils of his body do that naturally but it is bad if he can lick it up.
It's applied to his neck so it can spread slowly without him being able to ingest it orally.
>>
>>2082107
You can't just trade your cat in at a shelter because you don't like him. They'll probably take him for you, but you'll be put on a list and won't be able to adopt from them.

>>2084025
Unless you plan on going to the pound, most shelters WILL tell you if the cat you are interested was feral. In the paperwork, there should usually be a section for behavioral issues, which includes litter box stuff and temperament. Or at least, the shelter I got mine from did. As far as training a cat who's never used a litter box before, it really depends on its age and its personality.
>>
File: 294769691_dec5cf1beb_b.jpg (179 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
294769691_dec5cf1beb_b.jpg
179 KB, 1024x683
My cat has back problems and the vet prescribed Gabapentin to him for relief. However, he's still in quite a lot of pain and I can only administer that medication a few times a day. I was thinking of getting a heating pad to put on his back, but the only ones I can find are for cats to sit on. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
>>
>>2084025
Almost every older cat you can get from a shelter that wasn't a feral will know how to use a box. It is instinctual to them. All you need to do is show them where the box is and you should be good.
>>
>>2084302
Maybe a nice electric blanket would work? On the highest setting, mine gets really hot, and you could wrap him up in it to make sure it's on his back. They tend to be kind of expensive though. A nice one might run you about 50$.
>>
>>2081547
>Too much wet food will allow plaque to build up which is why having dry food mixed in is good. The dry food is abrasive which should help with the plaque build up.
Except dry is even worse for dental health because of the high carb content. There's absolutely no reason to feed dry except it's cheaper/more convenient
>>
>>2084203
Possibly, have them checked by the vet again. What do you feed? Too much carb content lends to yeast overgrowth, go for a low-carb (<10%) canned food.
>>
are persians nice cats?
>>
Guys is there ANYTHING at all that helps cat allergies? I'm literally dying right now. I can barely breathe and see.
>>
>>2084818
You probably shouldn't have a cat if you have bad cat allergies. Have you taken Benadryl or other allergy meds? They help me a lot when I'm visiting friends with dogs.
>>
>>2084845
I don't have a cat, I'm just taking care of one until I find a home for it. Pet it for a bit because it was lonely and now I'm fucked.
>>
>>2084818
get a pet rock instead
>>
>>2084816
The nicest. They are sweet and social and love to be around their people.
>>
>>2084878
>They are sweet and social and love to be around their people.

What cats don't fit this description?
>>
>have an aging cat
>ask yourself "Is it cancer yet?" over every slow day, sneezing fit, weird poop, etc.

Man, having my last cat die by cancer that was lethal because it took forever to diagnose isn't doing me any favours.
>>
File: aikki3.jpg (305 KB, 1000x1107) Image search: [Google]
aikki3.jpg
305 KB, 1000x1107
>>2084912
>forgot to resize picture

Fuck that
>>
>>
>>2081530
Dehydrated commercial raw is a LOT cheaper than those expensive kibbles. http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/how-much-does-it-cost-to-feed-my-cat-or-i-can-afford-to-feed-commercial-raw/ Consider. Or make your own. Cheaper, and you have total control over what your cat eats whether you're feeding it 50/50 to dry or on its own.
>>
>>2081857
don't know about you but my cat will sleep anywhere but the cat bed, it's like they know. but I don't mind, I just bought it just to see if he'd like it
>>
>>2084302
just a thought, combine a small rice pillow and a pet vest. you microwave the rice pillow and there's your heating pad, pet vest to keep it on his back. don't know how your cat deals with clothes though, plus you'd have to rigg it somehow so that it doesnt just fall to the side
>>
My Maine Coon just died. I woke up, let him out of the bathroom and he jumped on bed with me and my wife like he always does. Kitty biscuits on the bed until I got up to go downstairs and have breakfast.

We go back upstairs and put him back in the bathroom. I leave for work, wife tries to get back to sleep in bed. She can't, so she goes back about 20 minutes later to check on him in the bathroom.

He's already dead. Drool/foam out the mouth, not breathing. Nothing choked on, no blood, no signs of struggle. Just dead.

I come home having left work in a hurry at the distressed call drom my wife and now I'm a wreck. I suspect it was HCM, which I've never had to deal with, but he was my buddy and always wanted to hang around people and now he's suddenly gone forever.

I can't deal. I'm stuck back at work after taking him to the vet to be cremated on the same morning he was chilling in bed with me as always.

It's not ok. I'm not ok.
>>
File: 81GRRUNWwZL._SL1500_[1].jpg (166 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81GRRUNWwZL._SL1500_[1].jpg
166 KB, 1500x1500
What's the opinion on LitterLocker here?
>>
>>2085001
I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing a cat never gets any easier. Just know that you gave your little furry friend the best life he could have had. Try and focus on all the good times you guys had together. I wish you and your wife the best anon.
>>
>>2085268
I bought a medium sized plastic trashcan with a top that seals on and it works pretty well. I never smell the litter unless I open it.
>>
>>2085268
what the fuck is that
>>
File: rosie after a bath.png (792 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
rosie after a bath.png
792 KB, 600x596
>>2084912
;_; same feel, my cat is turning 15 next month and idk if i'm being too worrisome.
>>
File: produits_img_steps_02intl[1].jpg (47 KB, 909x260) Image search: [Google]
produits_img_steps_02intl[1].jpg
47 KB, 909x260
>>2085302
Litter garbage bin.
>>
>>2085307
rofl
>>
My parents have a half-persian/half farm cat of 18 years old. They took him to the vet because he keeps having these seizures where he will spasm and pee all over the place. The vet said it just comes with old age. But Im worried for the little guy. He usually just sits behind the couch unless Im around (He likes sleeping on my lap). Yesterday he had another spasm and gave me a nasty cut.
I've tried convincing my parents to see another vet about it, but they think there's nothing that can be done.

Anyone have any experience with old cats like this? Ive known that cat since I was a teenager and really want him to enjoy his old age. Im worried he's in pain. Cats tend not to show it.
>>
>>2085268
I have a litter genie, it's the same thing really. Works great... I love it.
>>
>>2084816
depends on what you are looking for. not a cat you will want if you are too lazy to groom it
>>
>>2085307
can i get a fucking link or sauce you cant just POST THAT and not tell me
>>
>>2085511
http://www.litterlocker.com/

>>2085320
Do you use their refills or just normal plastic bags? I heard that works as well.
>>
>>2085316

Sounds like the little guy's quality of life is severely affected. I don't have any experience with that but if it were my currently 18-year-old cat, I'd start thinking about euthanasia if the vet said there's nothing that can be done about it. Cats really are good at hiding their pain and if you can see it in their behaviour, it could be pretty bad.

For example, when my cat last had her teeth treated and it turned out that tooth resorption was quite a bit worse on one of her teeth than it had seemed in the last checkup, my cat pretty much transformed overnight after it was taken out. I hadn't even realised there was anything wrong -- I just thought my cat was getting a bit sluggish because of the winter and because her age is finally catching up with her -- but the vet said that the tooth must have caused her quite a lot of pain. And the difference in my cat's behaviour was huge: she immediately got cuddlier and more playful and more active overall, like several years just got sloughed off of her, and she's been that way since. She just ninja'd all over the couches during her after-poop crazies and skittered all over the house, almost speeding straight into the opening door when I got out of the bathroom, the goof.
>>
>>2084243
bump
>>
File: 1431061671934.jpg (443 KB, 2048x1332) Image search: [Google]
1431061671934.jpg
443 KB, 2048x1332
Just brought my male cat back from being fixed, his legs are rubbery but he seems wide awake and aware. There was a few spots of blood, called the vet to ask about it and she said spotty bleeding shouldn't be anything to worry about. Soon as my friend gets here to watch him I'm going to get a clean litter box and newspaper, apparently litter dust can infect the incision.

I'm mainly worried about him roaming all around the house, specifically jumping down from stuff since he's drunk. I'm trying to get him to sleep but he's having none of that so far. Is it alright to keep him in a reasonably sized box for a night, or until the anesthetic wears off?
>>
File: 20160323_121646.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160323_121646.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Button says hi
>>
>>2087036

Well scratch that idea because when I turn my back he wants to lick that incision wound which is a no-no.

Is this something I'll have to stay up all damn night monitoring or are the odds of him causing actual damage pretty low?
>>
File: IMG_0661.png (1023 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0661.png
1023 KB, 640x1136
how do i make a stray cat like me?
pic related has been coming to my house for around a year, but has never let me pet him
but, he started bringing over this other cat, and i pet that cat all the time
>>
>>2080506
Im new to cat care. My adopted girl tabby has a sore on her back that she will not let heal. What preventative care or deterrent can I give her to leave it alone until I can get to the vet?
>>
How are Maine Coons? Does anyone have experience with them?
>>
>>2087103
Did the vet not tell you to pick up a cone of shame?
>>
What do you guys think of bell collars on cats?
>>
>>2087356
useful, if you want to know where your cat is
to some people the jingling gets annoying
>>
>>2085001
That's what happened to my maine coon a few years ago. Just outta the blue like that. He had that maine coon heart defect. Shit killed me. He was the grearest cat. Fearless. He acted more like a dog than a cat. He'd even rush to the front door ready to attack if someone knocked.
>>
>>2087325
I had one, see the post above. Best cat ever. The one single complaint i had was that he talked and talked and talked. He never shut up. Sort of like how siamese are supposed to be but I've never had one of those.
>>
>>2087103
As >>2087327 said, get a cone. Also be prepared for him peeing randomly. Two of three cats did, for me. The third was already perky on the way home. He did pee on the vet though.
>>
>>2080506
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/uocm-pwr031816.php
>People with rage disorder twice as likely to have latent toxoplasmosis parasite infection
>"Our work suggests that latent infection with the toxoplasma gondii parasite may change brain chemistry in a fashion that increases the risk of aggressive behavior," said senior study author Emil Coccaro, MD, Ellen. C. Manning Professor and Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience at the University of Chicago.
Wtf, cat owners?
>>
Do your cats do retarded random shit?

Whenever I go to the bathroom to wash my hands, my cat attacks my feet. Like not playing around, he goes for it. Outside of that he's nice and cuddly. What's up with that?
>>
>>2087475
does taking a dump on IRS papers count?

or grooming me (every time he gets near my hair)?
>>
My male neutered moggy just turned 4 years old a few weeks ago. I noticed he decreased in appetite and lost a little weight. He was previously overweight.I thought at first he just got tired of his food so I switched brands but he still doesn't eat as he used to.

Activity levels are still the same and nothing's wrong with his behaviour, disposition, and elimination habits.

Is this normal?
>>
>>2087475
My cat tries to attack my phone whenever she sees me using it.
I've also a cat that is a total spaz and will dash from one end of the house to the other over and over if he even gets the least bit excited.
>>
>>2088030
don't think that's normal, no. bring 'im to a vet, i guess.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ew71aDXhWk

This is my kitty Maria. I raised her since I was 9, when my neighbor got cats and hired me to cat-sit, and she eventually began following me back home and ate on our porch, and eventually lived in our house. I cannot describe her sweetness, she was always running up to people and rolling over, would jump up into your arms if you patted your chest, or onto your back if you bent down. She never attacked or got in a foul mood, even when you tripped over her, and she loved to sit and knead.

She had to be put down today because of invasive squamous cell carcinoma, but she was beautiful to me till the end. Sleep well, baby sis.
>>
>>2088339
Sorry for your loss anon.
>>
File: IMG_20160315_232659.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_232659.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
Garbage is his name
>>
File: IMG_20160324_155459.jpg (297 KB, 1090x1315) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_155459.jpg
297 KB, 1090x1315
Just wanted to share a picture of my cat. Her name is Scout.
>>
I got two black cats. And my youngest one got this very pointy face, almost like a race-cat. She also got a very small body and never meows.

What kind of breed can her ancestors be?
>>
>>2088452
>>
>>2088452
>>
is it safe to leave a cat with a dog all day alone?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1437639891054.jpg (43 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1437639891054.jpg
43 KB, 540x960
My little Tiki is roughly around a year old. Nice enough cat but not real playful.
>>
>>2088478
There's always a tiny risk for harm. I personally separate mine while I'm out, better safe than tragically sorry.
>>
>>2088478
Depends on the dog and cat. If the dog is large enough to shake the cat, I would separate... better safe than sorry.
>>
Has Erebus anon showed up lately? Just found the archived link in my bookmarks and got curious.
>>
Overall newfag regarding cats (and pets, really) here. I just got myself a 8 month old cat last Thursday. She's somewhat timid. Does anybody know about a good introductory guide to raisimg cats? Anything I should reaaaaaally kmow about? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2085001
I'm sorry anon ;_;
>>
File: IMG_20160316_222025~2.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_222025~2.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Here is my very beautiful ket
>>
Does anyone else feed their cat EVO? The vet recommended it to us as a high protein/low grain option to help the little chubster lose some weight and it seems to be working so far. I am curious if anyone else has had similar results.
>>
I finally adopted a cat and had a few questions

After bringing him home I noticed he did a bit of gagging but didn't vomit. His meow is light and very short, I've barely heard him speak even though he's obviously tried. Googling around points towards post upper respiratory/post cold and maybe just some phlegm he's trying to cough up. The rescue didn't mention anything like this however and I'm worried they overlooked something. They noted that he has a "variety of meows" though.

I plan to contact the rescue in the morning to ask if he or other cats near him were sick recently and then a vet to ask about a general check up.
Is there anything I can look for the rule out anything or get some hints? There's no nasal discharge, sneezing or coughing but I'd rather have the reassurance from a vet.

Also, any recommended brands for litter/canned food? Any other foods your cat particularly likes?
He has some kibble and clumping litter, but I plan to switch in wet food and possibly homemade stuff very soon.
>>
Hey /an/ I just had something odd happen, my 4 year old indoor cat just started meowing constantly for no apparent reason when I said his name, which then made my two older cats jump down and start sniffing him, which, again made him to start meowing in an almost wailing manner and move underneath a seat that he sits in a lot. I brought him his bowl of food to him from around 5 hours ago that he never came for, making this my first time seeing him since before I fed him an hour beforehand. Around that time I noticed him for the first "biting" his claws on his back legs due to an audible snapping sound. I also noticed that he was lifting up his back legs a bit when he was sitting down during the meowing, I don't know if it's possible he could've hurt himself doing that but I couldn't find any blood.

He does have some trouble with Cystitis and was on them for around a week and half, which he finished maybe a week ago with no signs of bloody urine anywhere, so I don't know if he could've developed a blockage or something in 9 or so hours since I seen him peeing last.

I'd take him to the vets but every single one nearby is shut.
>>
>>2081815
Make sure there's a quiet place for her to hide if she wants. Get her blanket or favourite toy from the shelter if you can so she has something that smells familiar.
>>
>>2081836
My cat would pant like a dog the first few times I took her outside. There's nothing wrong with her.
>>
>>2085305
I worry now and my cats are only 2 and 3. I'm dreading when they are older.
>>
Hey /cat/, this is cat related and I'm just so excited. I took in a stray queen so I could getter and the babies taken care of properly once they were born. We're two kittens in now and I'm excited about Easter babies. I plan to spay her soon and already know a few a few homes for them, as I said she was a stray and already pregnant when I took her in but kittens are always exciting!
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2089684
Just a follow up and a bump, she had five babies! So far they all seem healthy and happy, mama cat went up for some food so I changed the bedding and took the pics while she was away.
>>
File: 5164161.jpg (62 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
5164161.jpg
62 KB, 960x960
>go to work
>cat is running everywhere while purring, as usual
>go back to work
>my cat is dead on my bed, with foam around his mouth, the body was still warm

he wasn't even 10. fuck this.
>>
>>2089241
hey anon, is it okay if I use your cat's image for a project ?
>>
File: Fuckyespetme.jpg (3 MB, 2310x2165) Image search: [Google]
Fuckyespetme.jpg
3 MB, 2310x2165
At my grandmother's for Easter. Every time we come here my mom acts like a huge cunt to my grandma and just yells at her over nothing so I usually go outside and pet her cat to get away from it. She's just called "kitty" and I think that's lame so I named her Chi Chi. She's an attention whore.
>>
>>2089894
They have the best awful faces.
>>
>>2089863
Oh man that's terrible anon, so sorry to hear about your loss.
>>
hey guys I need your help

I live with my parents and a cat, he is not allowed to go out (big house np), has food always available since he just eats as much as he needs he is not overweight. A pretty chill and well educated loving cat.

My gf on the other hand has 3 cats, they are allowed to go outside and roam who the fuck knows where. They are always nagging for food, as soon as we stand up for something they all follow us hoping for more, if she were to free feed them they would eat until they are almost puking. Honestly I hate them but dont care much since they are not my problem.

Thing is we might be moving together soon to a big house with a patio, we agreed to enclose the patio so that they cant go beyond the house limits and to feed them all at the same time.

Will my cat become a fucking beggar as them?, I fear he will become a pain in the ass not because he is really hungry but because the other fucktards do it.

Should I not expose my civilized cat to these plebs?
>>
File: Hubert.jpg (454 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Hubert.jpg
454 KB, 1600x1200
How do you make peace with a really aggressive and scared cat? My father has had this big guy since he was a kitten, and he's always been really afraid of people. I've seen him regularly for a couple years now but he still hasn't gotten used to me and mostly just hides whenever I come over.

I've got him kind of figured out and just pretend to ignore him, which causes him to let his guard down. He'll come out of hiding and chill nearby, but the moment I look at him he gets really nervous and he won't even come near me if he knows I'm aware of him. He'll occasionally take treats from me, but he gets spooked really fast and starts hissing and smacking my hand (he used to just straight up scratch me, so the pawing is some minor progress I guess). The only time he'll let me pet him is if my father is holding him.

My father has been out of town for a couple days, so I've been stopping in every day to check on the cat and feed him. I thought he might warm up to me some more since I'm his only source of food for the time being, but he's still spooked whenever I'm around. He even got really aggressive when I tossed a few treats to him today. I almost got him relaxed enough to take one out of my hand, but then he started clawing at me and freaking out again.

Is there something specific I should be doing to make peace with this guy?
>>
>>2089863
Dude, I'm so sorry. Jesus.
>>
>>2081612
Thats the cat version of sucking your thumb.
>>
File: KSCJiW8.gif (2 MB, 700x306) Image search: [Google]
KSCJiW8.gif
2 MB, 700x306
>>2088398
Im dying
>>
File: 2016032.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2016032.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Very comfy
>>
File: 2016-02-18 11.37.10.jpg (1 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18 11.37.10.jpg
1 MB, 1632x1224
Guys, why is my kitten trying to eat me?

She's a few months old. Tonight I was petting her and she seemed to be really into it, then she started basically chewing on my finger.

She wasn't really biting down or anything, just kind of chewing. I wasn't really sure what to make of it so I walked away.

Is this normal? Is she actually trying to eat my fingers, or is she mistaking my fingers for food (I feed her treats by hand)?

She's not very cuddly usually except when she's starved for contact (meaning early mornings mainly), but in this case she was purring and happy to be cuddled.
>>
File: 61ZwQncta4L._SY500_[1].jpg (39 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
61ZwQncta4L._SY500_[1].jpg
39 KB, 499x500
My mom bought one of these the other day and I just remembered that Hartz products lead to kidney failure. I immediately removed it from Chico's neck and I'm worried that the damage has already been done. I left a note while I'm gone for anyone that notices him vomiting to take him to the vet while I'm gone for the day.
He seems normal at the moment and touching his neck doesn't result in any strange reaction so it might be nothing.
What flea collar should I replace it with?
>>
>>2090133
depends, soft bites can be signs of affection or that the cats overstimulated, in this case it sounds like it was affection
>>
>>2090089
Is that a Maine Coon?
>>
File: 20160328_011925.jpg (876 KB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20160328_011925.jpg
876 KB, 1494x2656
>>2090145
pic related, this is Chico
>>
>>2090145
You shouldn't use them at all, even if they aren't actively harmful to the cat, and a LOT of them are, flea collars are like way down at the bottom for effective flea treatment, get some front line or advantage
>>
>>2090150
http://www.amazon.com/Frontline-Plus-for-Cats-Kittens/dp/B00HDGKB7G/
Is this what you mean? The only reason we ever gave him flea collars was because of his tendency to sneak outside his whole life.
>>
>>2090148

American bobtail
>>
>>2090151
yes, you use it every 2 or 3 weeks, brush the cat the day after and dead fleas will just start falling our of their fur
>>
What does it mean when a cat raises its but when you pet it?
>>
About how much do you spend on a cat per month? Thought about getting a cat but want to be sure I can afford it including any surprises
>>
I just adopted a cat and he's great, I want to be the best home this guy can have. I have a few questions though

Has anyone ever had a cat that can't really meow? He makes a very short, almost chirp meow with his mouth very wide. He also seems to be gagging a bit at times, like he has a hairball.

He doesn't care to play much but likes things that make sound (plastic bags mostly).
He doesn't have much in terms of toys or furniture (homemade bed and toys he ignores) and I was wondering what other anons' cats liked.

I need to get him a cat tree as well, any recommendations on a brand or specific tree? I'm thinking of getting one with a condo top around 6'. Is there anything I need to look out for?
Is it worth it to get a second scratch post if he can scratch the tree?

Thanks guys!
>>
>>2090367

It wants to mate with your fingers. Stick them in, even if male.
>>
>>2090367

It expects you to lick its butt. No, really, that's what the mother cat would do to it after grooming her way down its back.
>>
I have an outside cat that literally just doesn't give a fuck any more.

He's 16 years old and he will no longer move for cars, sleeps out on the road, which is even worse these days because I live right next to a school track and fuckers part all over our fucking street for track season/football/etc, despite school policy "disallowing" it.

A lot of the time when I come home I have to get out of my car and physically remove him from the road/drive way.

He seems perfectly fine other than that. He moves a little slow but doesn't seem to have trouble getting around.

I dunno if I should do something.
>>
>>2090479
The cats around my niece's house do that, I hear they get run over often
>>
File: 2-1-oz[1].jpg (162 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
2-1-oz[1].jpg
162 KB, 900x900
Now that I know their flea treatment is dangerous, are their cat treats also deadly?
>>
>>2090507
Most of them are awful

Just give them some raw tuna or chicken as a treat
>>
File: 20160324_132554.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160324_132554.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Late night comfy kitty
>>
>>2090616
Looks comfy

Want to pet
>>
>>2090616
looks like my old cat that died five years ago. My landlord won't let me get a new one.
>>
>>2080506
Vets i need to know, do some vets rush and fuck up feline hysterectomies? Because my current cats spay wound looks eay too huge, the stitches look fucked up and the staples also used dont look any good either.
I also wanna know if i can go to a different vet and have them fix the fuck up i think this vet made, or do vets look after each other?
I'd take a pic but she doesn't wanna roll over
>>
>>2090807
Yes there's a lot of shitty cheap vets depending on the area
Try find a different one who looks more professional and gers good reviews on google
>>
>>2090706
Sorry for your lose, anon. I just got her 9 months ago and I can't imagine living without her now
>>
Soon-to-be first time cat owner here.

I'll be feeding my cutie a mix of wet food and dry food, with dry food always being available.
How much wet food should I feed her then? Half of the recommended portion? Less?
>>
>>2090875
>always being available.
Not a good idea. You want set meal times. I don't think dry food is a good idea at all. You should only ever buy it if you're really strapped for cash. If you're worried about healthy teeth because of an all wet food diet then just give them some chicken breast every other day. Bonus points if you can find chicken hearts, they're extra chewy.

https://youtu.be/I5ZeNLUEHKY
>>
File: abyssinian-cat-description.jpg (67 KB, 605x482) Image search: [Google]
abyssinian-cat-description.jpg
67 KB, 605x482
cat master race
>>
>>2090879
Well, the cat is 8 years old and always was fed like this, so I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to change it.
>>
>>2090891
Then slowly ween him off dry food by increasing the amount of wet food in the mixture. The cat will get used to the feeding schedule and will be a lot healthier. No cat will refuse warm chicken.

If you don't want to put the effort or extra cash into feeding them right then that's whatever, I can't convince you. But trust me they'll be a lot healthier if properly fed.
>>
>>2090904
I am actually considering changing to feeding only wet food.

Since she's been free fed for at least the last year, what do you think would be the best way to change it without confusing her totally?
She'll be already confused by the new environment and new people.

Also, I would only be able to feed her two times a day (or maybe 3 times, with morning, evening and before I go to bed). Would this be okay?
>>
>>2090906
>best way to change it without confusing her totally?
Leave out less and less dry food each day while increasing the wet food in the mixture for her proper meals. She will get used to your schedule. My cat eats every 6 hours but if I'm busy I'll feed her later in the night and she will be fine with it. I recommend tiring her out with some toys she can chase to work up an appetite. It also helps with the idea that she hunted the food herself. Check our Jackson Galaxy's channel on youtube, he's got some good videos.

https://youtu.be/sh_PzBx1MVs
>>
>>2090906
Forgot to mention in case you didn't know, prepare a small room, preferably yours just for the cat. That way she can make that her home base and get used to the rest of the house at her own pace. Jackson's videos go over most concerns cat owners could have.
>>
I got a young cat a few months ago, and had to stop free-feeding the cats because the new one has no stop button and was getting fat. So now they receive measured portions twice a day. Problem is the young one still looks like she's getting chunkier. Any ideas? She's acting perfectly active and healthy, but she's constantly crying for more food, and keeps getting fatter despite me not caving in.
>>
>>2090922
How young? Mine kept gaining weight until she was about a year old then her belly started losing a few. Perhaps she's stealing some from your other cat? I wouldn't worry too much about her if shes playful/energetic and uses the litter box properly.
>>
File: Pets 082.jpg (163 KB, 923x864) Image search: [Google]
Pets 082.jpg
163 KB, 923x864
>>2090925
She's close to 8 months old now, she was 10 weeks when we got her. Pic related, she's the tabby.
>>
>>2090929
Then she's going through her last big growth spurt, the meowing for more is natural. Doesn't look chunky to me.
>>
Cat died last night. I feel like shit.

Started out with her one day sobbing and pising everywhere. Vet visit. Renal failure. One kidney is shriveled, dead. Other kidney is ballooned, has blockage, maybe cysts, maybe cancer, maybe stones. Prognosis: ass.

I took her in to be put down, she fought. I lost my nerve. In hindsight, I realize I was afraid of death the most. I couldn't face abrupt nonexistence, so I couldn't let her face it either.

Had her in kitty-ICU for like a week. Gets out, much better, not 100%. Requires an insane regimen of fluids and meds. She fights the entire way. I can't keep up, and she's making it so easy to not try. I say, "OK, I'm willing to help you as much as you let me."

Despite fluids she seems to crash one day. The fluids just aren't helping, the appetite stimulant doesn't draw her to the dish. This time she doesn't cry at all, just sleeps a lot. Sits on our laps. "Am I doing the right thing?" I know I should take her to get euthanized but I try to convince myself that's not what she wants, or that I'll wait until she's too tired to fight. She wants to leave on her own terms, right? "This is technically not even my cat, why did I sink so much time and money into this?" (It was actually my brother's cat, I've just always looked after her.)

Found her on her side, stiff as a board. Looked like she could have been sleeping. I was waiting for her torso to bulge with inhaled breath, but nothing. Her body was so cold.
>>
>>2090917
>>2090920
Thanks for the tips, and some of those videos seem to be pretty good. Will watch more.
Also, do you think leaving some cardboard boxes out in my room as possible hiding spots for her would help?

Do you think a feeding schedule of
>6:45
>18:30
>22:00
would be acceptable?
>>
>>2090953
We've all been there. I had a diabetic cat die on my lap at home, and had a cancer kitty euthanized on my lap. I'm sorry for your loss. It's normal to feel sick and miserable for a while. Let yourself feel awful, it's part of the process.
>>
>>2090956
Sounds good
she's going to be meowing like crazy when you get home though
I'd try giving her a bigger portion in the morning then the two smaller portions at night.
She might not eat the third meal if it's too close to the last one.
>>
File: DSC_0120.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0120.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>2090439
>>2090453
A cat is not fine
>>
Hey guys I really want to get a kittie but I've got a bleeding condition that is hereditary. Is there any new developments in cat declawing or is it still 100% wrong?
>>
>>2091095
No, just no.

What about bites? There are cats who nip when they play or when they're pissed off or even when they just think you're lower on the hierarchy.

I've seen my cat swipe and bite my dad on multiple different occasions. The cat was unprovoked too, just chilling when my dad happened to walk past. He was especially aggressive to him only and not to the rest of the family members or the other cat.

Just get a fish for fuck's sake.
>>
>>2091095
I never get clawed unless I intentionally piss him off by rubbing his belly or something.

Git gud
>>
>>2090089
nice house
>>
>>
File: IMG_20160329_181915.jpg (253 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_181915.jpg
253 KB, 1200x1200
At what point does feline acne warrant a trip to the vet?

Pic related, my 9 year old. She's had occasional issues with minor acne in the past, but I've always just picked the crap off her chin and it's been good. I came home today and noticed this. Never been this bad.

She's acting perfectly normal, but I don't want this to get any worse.
>>
File: IMG_20160329_181931.jpg (267 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_181931.jpg
267 KB, 1200x1200
>>2091256

Hard to tell from the pictures, but she's got a big sore and a missing patch of fur.

Anything I can/should do about this?
>>
Would it be good for my cat to feed him only frozen/thawed mice?
>>
>>2091256
>but I don't want this to get any worse.
Then you already know the answer to your problem. When in doubt, vet.

>>2091332
Not unless you supplement the missing nutrients, no.
>>
>>2091095
Just get a cat with a friendly temperament. My cat would never bite or scratch me without me going out of my way to provoke her, and provoking her seems to be touching her belly, and even then she only pushes my hand away, never outright scratches. But there are cats that can be way less predictable and sometimes wig out. It's kind of on you to find a cat that's not a dick.
>>
File: IMG-20160310-WA0000.jpg (146 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160310-WA0000.jpg
146 KB, 900x1600
Recently my cat, returned home after being missing for 2 months, she seemed pretty well fed too. I have a feeling she has been catnapped during the Chinese New year period (it's common for people to adopt new pets and then just throw them away during the CNY period) and released.

She has a really good temperament, but now when she returned home she gets very aggressive and starts hissing at everyone... What should I do?
>>
How do I know when it's my cat's time?
He puked bile quite a few times tonight. Will lick laxatone if I offer but won't eat/drink and wants to be comfy alone in the dark.
He's extremely old but seemed completely healthy yesterday.
>>
File: IMAG0105.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0105.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
Have you guys ever spayed your cat and their personality changed drastically?
>>
>>2091432
Don't let her out in the first place
>>
>>2091515
That's a common case
A quick Google search will show you a ton of stories from similar people.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-30+at+06.39.12).jpg (152 KB, 898x943) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-30+at+06.39.12).jpg
152 KB, 898x943
Can someone tell me what breed of cat this is?
I saw this from a cooking video and it is too cute for me to ignore.
>>
>>2091627
Orange medium hair tabby
Tabby = mutt
Most cats don't have a specific breed and are just mutts, even if they have a nice color scheme like full white socks with pink paws.
>>
File: 20141218_161825.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20141218_161825.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2087325
I have a maine coon currently. His name is Hamilton. They're very nice cats, and are deemed a "gentle giant." I can confirm this. They shed a lot, so I'd be careful. They're very shy, but are nice to little kids. My niece once pulled Hamilton's tail when she was 2, and he just gave her a polite meow.

The only problem is that maine coons leave fur everywhere, and meow a lot. My Hamilton wants me to walk him to his food and water bowls every day, and will meow at me until I do. So they're very social animals.

They're great family pets, and love attention. Also very nice looking.

Pic related, its Hamilton. Note the long fur that takes a while to groom. He's an old guy, but a goodie.
>>
>>2091876
>but a goodie
More like a cutie
>>
File: CeFRag7WoAEr6E9.jpg (22 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
CeFRag7WoAEr6E9.jpg
22 KB, 600x338
>>2080506
>>
My mom got a cat today, she's 2 month old, we got her canned tuna (for cats) and the hard stuff that look like dog food
Anyways, my problem is while petting her I saw a brown insect crawl back into her fur, I suspect its a flea
What immediate action should I do other than confining her to a room? I'm planning a vet visit within the next few days to get her vaccinated
Is there any sort of special shampoo I have to wash her with to get rid of the fleas? (I know that human shampoo should never be used on animals)
>>
>>2092030
The vet will take care of it. Store bought shampoo and flea collars are potentially harmful if you don't know what you're doing so just sit tight until you can take her to the vet. Also if you plan on making dry food her regular diet instead of wet foid, consider mixing it with Luke warm water to make it mushy. Dry food is pretty bad unless it's for economic reasons and canned wet food is too expensive for you. Careful with the tuna though, use it as a treat or once a week meal, not a daily thing.
>>
>>2092060
Thanks, I'll be sure to look up more tips on Google and by reading this thread
>>
>>2092089
You can use plain, original, dawn dish soap (being very careful not to get it in the eyes or the ears) to try to get rid of some of the fleas, but this won't get rid of all of them. The cat needs a flea preventative from the vet. BUT, using dawn once or twice before you go to the vet is good because fleas can easily infest your house...so better to get them under control now while you wait to get flea meds.

In regular circumstances though, you should never bath a cat or dog with any kind of soap more than once or a week, or every other week, unless your vet says otherwise for medicine or something.
>>
File: cat.jpg (46 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
46 KB, 650x433
>>
File: 1455572246519.jpg (54 KB, 540x472) Image search: [Google]
1455572246519.jpg
54 KB, 540x472
My cat straight up vanished on Monday and I'm losing my mind. I never thought it would affect my as much as it is. I feel like a broken man.

I've been all over the neighborhood, put up posters, our counties Humane Society is in my town so I go their daily. I'm so fucking devastated. He was an indoor cat who never went outside, never even tried to get outside when presented with an open door.

Hold me.
>>
I'm not a huge fan of cats, also happen to be very allergic.

I have a GF with a cat and were considering moving in together.

What can I do to minimize my expose to the thing on a daily basis? I don't think it's fair to lock the thing in a single room, but could I limit him to just the upper floor of the house without traumatizing him?
>>
>>2088665
http://desustorage.org/an/thread/2078221/#2079388
http://desustorage.org/an/thread/2078221/#2079665

these are his last posts
>>
>>2092139
probably, but it'll require consistent training from both of you (meaning, if she's letting it out into the rest of the house when you're not there, it won't work.) keeping doors shut, putting up barricades and deterrents- cats won't want to walk across sticky or painful things, so some of those plastic mats you put under computer chairs (the ones with a bunch of pointy nubs underneath) flipped upside down in a hallway could work. I stapled contact paper sticky side up to cardboard and put it on my parents countertops to train their cats to stay off, they learned quickly.

If they're scared of bigger animals, an item like a blanket a big unfamiliar dog's been sleeping on or something will ward it off. Got my kitty to stop scratching my door by laying a rug down that a bunch of stray cats liked to lay on outside.

Also, vacuum frequently to cut down on dander.
>>
>>2092133
Did you check the basement or places you'd never think he'd be in the house? Might sound silly but it'd happened to me
>>
>>2092192
This. One time I thought my cat ran away, but he just found a new privacy hole under a bed's matting.
>>
File: 1451235983118.png (405 KB, 390x607) Image search: [Google]
1451235983118.png
405 KB, 390x607
>>2092192

Yeah, It's been almost a week now. His food hasn't budged.

I put some of his litter in a smaller box outside, along with this cat house he loved to sleep in.
>>
>>2092491
; _;7
>>
File: Missy.jpg (61 KB, 720x1136) Image search: [Google]
Missy.jpg
61 KB, 720x1136
Why does my newly adopted kitty hide under my bed and refuses to come out during the day and only comes out to play at night? What can I do to make her come out during daytime and reduce her nightime activity?
Pic related, her name is Missy
>>
>>2092764
During the day if shes awake and hiding, try laying down on the ground and look at her for a bit. Do the slow blink a few times then look away so you don't make her nervous but keep laying on the ground for a bit. I give all my friends this advice and eventually the shy kitty will warm up to you and gain confidence around you.
>>
>>2092764
Also you're probably free feeding her with dry food. Don't leave out food all the time. Have a set feeding schedule and she will adjust to your schedule.
>>
>>2090929
that's funny anon

I have a tabby just like that who is about 9~ months old who is also chubby

she has a little belly on her
>>
Just had to put my 3 year old cat down today. I'm so bummed. I didn't want to do it but she started pissing on everything and my furniture and clothes were all being ruined, and I couldn't take it anymore. Still I feel bad and I miss her...
>>
File: DSC00483.jpg (355 KB, 1010x758) Image search: [Google]
DSC00483.jpg
355 KB, 1010x758
>>
>>2080506
why do people think cats like this are cute?

It's literally retarded
>>
>>2093373
it's worse when people post very sick cats because they look like they're crying haha so funny
>>
>>2092764
cats are nocturnal bro
>>
This big fellow is Scratch, he's almost 14.
He's super friendly for a male cat
>>
is Peppo a cute female cat name? or is it stupid
>>
>>2093631
yes
>>
File: 20160402_120619.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160402_120619.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2093601
White chest/paws are my favorite

>>2093631
sounds cute to me
>>
File: scratch.jpg (546 KB, 597x999) Image search: [Google]
scratch.jpg
546 KB, 597x999
>>2093633
Same, I do love the saimese colors too
He's got a little diamond on his brow to match :3
>>
Made a thread about this a while ago
>Had to put cat down (tldr; liver issues crept up suddenly and got REALLY bad quickly, completely inoperable or treatable)
>Ready to adopt
>Not sure if I want one or two

Anyway what I loved about my cat was she'd spend a LOT of time with me and was really affectionate but I'm worried if I adopt two cats they'd be more interested in each other and I wouldn't be able to create as strong of a bond as I did with my old cat. At the end of the day it was just really nice lying down and watching TV with her there snuggled up to me and I'm concerned two cats would complicate this. Regarding the cat being socially fucked in regards to the absence of a second, I have two dogs that get along with cats so there's that at least. Can anybody weigh in on this?
>>
>>2093657
completely inoperable and untreatable***
>>
>>2080880

Sounds like a typical ragdoll, best housecats ever.
>>
>>2093657
With one cat (if you adopt from kittenhood) they'll obvious be more drawn to you as the mother figure and food provider. With two they'll both be a lot more independent and you can never go back from there. If you have a lot of free time and enjoy spending time with your cat, get one. If you're more of a busy person and can't be bothered to play with them multiple times a day, get two. Even if you get two they'll both still snuggle up to you occasionally just perhaps not as much if they were alone. For the cat's sake I'd get two as that means you're giving a good home to two poor animals instead of those small cages. Plus they'll have a buddy to play with.
Also sorry to hear about your cat.
>>
File: IMG_0234.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0234.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Every fucking morning she'll climb up my curtains, walk along the curtain rail and just onto me to wake me up. She has a perfect fucking aim for my goddamn kidneys when doing it too the fucker.
>>
>>2093670
>100 gigs
uh
what's this
>>
I'm taking care of a cat until I find a home for it, but he's being a big stupid fat asshole. Keeps scratching and biting at me hard when I walk around. It's not like I'm ever mean to him, and he has everything he needs. And he does let me cuddle him sometimes.

How do I fix this?
>>
>>2093854
He sounds bored. How often do you play with him? Get him some toys and run around the house with him. Cats need mental stimulation the same as humans do.
>>
>>2093856
>run around the house with him

I live in an apartment, and I also don't want to get mauled and die. What toys do cats like to play alone?
>>
>>2093857
Depends on the cat. My last cat loved playing with those small mice by himself. He'd play for ages just batting them around. The cat I have now has no interest in toys that he has to move around himself, the minute they stop he gets bored and looks for something else to do. But he loves chasing me around playing hide and seek and goes crazy over wand toys. I'd suggest buying a couple different kinds of inexpensive toys so you don't waste your money. The cheapest wand (or shoe laces or suede lace) you can find for interactive play and to be put away when you're not around to prevent the cat eating it and a couple of balls or mice the cat can play with buy himself once you've thrown it.
>>
>>2093834
I'd be able to give them a good amount of attention but it does feel a bit selfish not getting them a companion
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1184x802) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1184x802
>>2080506

my cat
>>
>>2093857
wand toys or laser pens.
>>
File: IMG_20151205_180237.jpg (2 MB, 2363x2363) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_180237.jpg
2 MB, 2363x2363
Moved out almost a year ago and I can't stand how much I miss this fattie. The only reason I don't take her with me is because my apartment is very small and I'm gone all day. At my mom's house she can go outside and run around. I miss cuddling with her at night ;'(
>>
>>2084302
I am sorry to hear about your cat. Hope it gets well soon really fast. I wish you both the best. And I hope one of the comments actually helped you.
>>
File: bugger2.jpg (29 KB, 506x899) Image search: [Google]
bugger2.jpg
29 KB, 506x899
her name is bug, she is almost a year old, and she had never smelled money before
>>
File: bugger3.jpg (28 KB, 506x899) Image search: [Google]
bugger3.jpg
28 KB, 506x899
>>2094063
she soon lost interest in the money and started rummaging around in the place the strange smell came from
>>
I think my parents' outside cat has dental disease of some kind.
He started dramatically losing weight about 6 months ago. We ended up giving him anti-parasitic powder about 4 months ago, and then a pill (which was a nightmare) 2 weeks after that.
Nothing really seemed to change.
Anyways, noticed a couple days ago that his teeth are yellowing and he has bad breath. He still has an appetite as far as I can tell though.
He does get fed wet food as well as dry so maybe we should switch to just dry?
Taking him to the vet is a literal impossibility with the way he acts.
He's 13 or 14 by now.
What do
>>
>>2094085
i doubt it's an impossibility, it's just a question of how fucked up you're willing to get in order to take your cat to the vet. it always boils down to a value call. which to you value more?
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 500x500
>>2094085
Order a bottle of LEBA III and administer religiously. Also, cut the dry food, dry food is much worse than canned for dental health due to the higher carbohydrate levels. Finally, give him some raw chicken wings or necks 4-5 times a week. The slicing/tearing activity, combined with live enzymes, is ultimately what he needs to maintain healthy teeth once the LEBA III clears out the built-up tartar.

Lastly, I will add these steps will clear out the bacteria and tartar that cause periodontal disease, but if the gums are severely receded and teeth roots exposed/degraded you will need to take your cat in for extraction surgery.
>>
>>2094262

Alright, I'll see what I can do.
Unfortunately I think if it comes to vet bills (besides general examination), the cat will probably be put down. Financially they can't really handle expensive surgeries right now.
>>
>>2081633
Sometimes, they don't grow out of it. I've had my cat since she was 3 months old (former stray), and she still likes to knead and/or suckle on buttons and blankets. She's 5 years old now.
>>
>>2084854
Get an OTC allergy med, one that works for indoor and outdoor allergies. I'd recommend Benadryl or Sudafed, if you want to go cheaper. Zyrtec also.

Talk to a pharmacist if you want to be 100% sure what's a good fit for you, though.

Alternatively, depending on your insurance, you could probably go to your doctor and subject yourself to allergy shots - which, overtime, will decrease your sensitivity to cats, instead of just treating the allergy symptoms like meds will.
>>
File: Pugcat.png (495 KB, 485x484) Image search: [Google]
Pugcat.png
495 KB, 485x484
This is my cat. He eats flowers and the next door neighbours kid likes to pour dirt on him.
>>
Hey guys, question for any owners that have experienced death with their cat before. My cat is doing okay right now (visually), although he was diagnosed with kidney failure. I haven't thought about it too much, but he seems to have gotten lazier recently which has been concerning me. I just want some tips on how you guys have dealt with death and what you did after your cat has died. I've been with this cat all my life, and I know he is going to die, but I still can't mentally prepare for it.
>>
>>2092030
Had a flea problem with my cat before. The vet provided a shampoo that kills the little buggers.

Check where she usually sleeps for flea poop and eggs. The poop looks like black flecks and the eggs look like tiny grains of rice. Be sure to vacuum the whole house thoroughly (eggs/fleas can actually drop wherever she goes) and change her bedding.

Good luck. At least fleas are way easier to get rid of than bed bugs.
>>
>>2093261
I honestly cannot tell if you're just trolling.
>>
>>2093835
That's hilariously cute.

Like she figured just walking onto you ain't enough. Better have momentum plus gravity for that extra oomph!
>>
>>2094107
Gotta agree with you on that.
>>
File: cat.jpg (2 MB, 2987x3535) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
2 MB, 2987x3535
My roommate X has this cat who's like 6-7 months old that used to hang out in my room when his owner wasn't home even though I'm a dick to him (my room has the most natural light and when I'm home I play with him). Recently however he spends most of his time either in his owner's room or meowing at roommate Y's door throughout the day.

I'd get into the laundry list of petty drama that's happened in my house (all girls 2bh), but basically X and Y hate each other. X is a self-absorbed tactless moron while Y is a psycho suicidal/bulimic bitch. For a while Y would see Xcat chilling in my lap and say "I'm so jealous, why does he like you so much" and shit like that. One time she went into X's room and gave the cat different food and tried to say someone broke in our house to feed the cat. Come winter quarter around finals week and I play with him less. The cat begins to stay upstairs (many times quietly right outside Y's door) and the old broken earbuds I used to play with him disappeared. Even more recently a new cat appeared in roommate Y's room, she claimed to be catsitting for someone on vacation (in the beginning of the quarter in a university town). She wants Xcat to have nothing to do with "her" cat because it's a girl and the Xcat is a spayed male. Nowadays he spends an inordinate amount of time yowling at Y's door once she leaves or sitting quietly in his owner's room.

I feel bad for the little guy because his owner seems to spend more time trying to discipline him by exiling him from her room than playing and the introduction of the new cat and 2 overly-playful dogs seems to be making him more depressed and aggressive since now he bites a lot when petted.

How does one discipline a cat without isolating him?
Are cats supposed to be horny if spayed?
Is there reason to believe that Y is abusing/abused the cat? Or am I just being a butthurt jealous fag about someone else's fucking cat?
>>
>>2093958
She's really fat. Maybe being in the box makes her look even fatter.

I know it's hard. Hell, I had bad days where I just wanted to go home and see my cat because she just brings a smile to my face and it feels like all the day's shit is truly over.

Anyway, you did it for her sake and I hope she's truly happier due to you making a sacrifice. Hang in there, bud.
>>
>>2081815

Never had a cat bed for my cat. She usually likes sleeping (in descending order of preference): couch, floor, top of old CRT TV, cardboard box on top of fridge, my lap.

She doesn't sleep directly on top of the tiled floor, though. We have various towels of different textures laid out on the tiny strip of space between wall and bed. I'm not able to explain the towels as another family member was responsible and it gradually grew to some 5, 6 towels. We've tried giving her a cushion; she wouldn't have none of it.

Cat toys are a hit or miss as it depends on the cat. For toys your cat feels meh about, you can consider exchanging them with another cat owner or selling them off. I've had a friend exchange canned food with someone because the cat stopped eating that particular flavor. Literally stopped one day and refused to touch it anymore. Eh, and my friend tends to buy cat food in bulk so she had a box of it leftover.

If you use laser pointers, don't do it too often as it can lead to frustration because they can never catch it. I stopped shining mine on the floor when I realized the tiles were too reflective. Now I only point it on the walls but I switch it off immediately if my cat glances in my direction because I don't want her accidentally looking into the laser.

If you're gonna let your cat play with hair ties, do it with supervision whenever possible. Some cats do end up swallowing them.

Do update us on how she's settling in.
>>
>>2084025
Cats are very easy to toilet train. Like someone mentioned, it's instinctual to them. It's less of the box but the sand that gets them scratching and doing their business.

Had 3 cats and never had a problem with any of them. I pretty much got them from all over. One was an abandoned kitten in a box found by a neighbor; another from a friend's cat's litter and the last was a young adult stray I lured home.
>>
>Cat broke the screen on the window and got outside today

Sadly, she's probably already gone, there's a serious coyote problem here
>>
So basically I have a cat that can't leave my room most of the day for a while as we're slowly introducing him to our dog

What can I do in the mean time to make sure he's content?
He's pretty mellow and doesn't play much, he has maybe three times since I adopted him a few weeks ago
He likes to hunt bugs
He likes to eat
He likes to be pet
Any suggestions besides constantly petting him, varying his diet and bringing bugs into my room?
>>
File: IMG_20160405_061656.jpg (119 KB, 737x983) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160405_061656.jpg
119 KB, 737x983
Guys....I'm at my limit.

About a year ago, I adopted this orange tabby cat off someone on craigslist. He was documented for, had all his shots, and was in good health, so I gave him a good home. I have a pitbull and it was shaky at first introducing them, but now they are good enough to sleep together and sometimes occasionally give each other a lick or two. Everyone loves my cat because he is social and trusts humans and is not afraid of them. I even gave him the name Optimus.

He still has his testies and I was gonna get him the surgery over the summer but I'm not sure I can handle the following months anymore. He's attacked me out of nowhere and each time has left me with severe scars on my arm before. Today I realized that he was being aggresive and meowing alot, and if I tried to pet him he would scratch me, so I left him alone for most of the night. As I'm about to go to bed, I trick him (I pretend to open his favorite can of food so he can come running) so he can come inside my room for the night, and lo and behold, he's still meowing and looking to pick a fight. I ignore it and go into bed and the moment I went in, he came in for a severe bite. I tried to push him off but he clawed deep into my hand and I could feel the force he pushed into biting me. I tried to restrain him but he just flipped out and bit even harder. I felt as if he was trying to actually kill me. I panicked and grab my nearest shoe and started to hit him over the head with it. He looked as if he was rearing up for another bite so I hit him with the shoe as hard as I could over the face. And nothing. He didn't even flinch.

/an/, I don't think I'm emotionally stable enough now to keep taking care of him. I looked into his eyes and realized that all that progress I made meant nothing to him, I saved him from possibly being killed at a shelter and this is how he repayed me.

What do I do? Send him to a shelter? Release him into the wild? I'm so lost..
>>
>>2095175
That's because he's a horns af intact tom. Take him to get his balls removed and things should be fine, and I little reinforcement conditioning should fix up what remains of his angsty behavior.
>>
>>2095175

Some more background, the cat is very affectionate towards me and constantly tries to lay on my chest and cuddle up with me. In fact, moments before this happened, he layed on top of me for a little before going back out my room again. He is up to date on all his shots, and the only thing he's missing is the surgery to neuter him.

I'm out alot so I leave a full dish of Science diet dry food and water for him to come to whenever he gets hungry, and about once-twice a week, I treat him to wet food as a weekly treat.

Right now he's in a mesh cage I got for him a few months back. I can't look at him right now, as a part of me wants to wring his neck. But I don't want this cats life to be ruined, yet at the same time, I know no one who could possibly take him and I don't want to give him up to a shelter.

Pic is him and my dog, he looks fatter there, but he's not that round, just long.
>>
>>2095175
And my fault for not reading the last part of your post before giving advice, but you should never, ever hit your cat like that. That's a little fucking 6-pound animal, get over yourself and shoot him into the next room or something. Maybe you should look into rehoming him if your temper drives you to physically harm something under your care.
>>
>>2095179
*shoo him
Pls don't shoot him
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.