[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixed rabbit pen with grass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: rabbit hutch.jpg (119 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
rabbit hutch.jpg
119 KB, 653x490
I'm going to build a new rabbit pen soon and I wanted to use grass mats as flooring. Because I don't want them to dig out or destroy the grass, I was thinking about putting a wire mesh on top of the grass mats. I will ofcourse leave them a place to dig holes without being able to escape.

What thickness should the wire of the mesh be and what size the holes considering my goal is to prevent damage to both the grass and their paws? Has anybody here tried this already?
>>
I'm not sure if pen means what I was trying to say. I am ofcourse talking about a rabbit run!
>>
Don't use wire mesh as flooring. It's bad for any animal. Even if you go with a thickness that you think would be 'safe', it's better to just not do it.

If you don't want them to destroy the grass, either move the pen around more often or have them on some type of matting akin to the picture you posted instead.
>>
>>2079446
The thing is that the plan is to have a fixed pen. Don't rabbit breeders use cages with purely wire mesh flooring? Ofcourse here the rabbit wouldn't only rest on the wire mesh but also on the grass and soil that is right below it.
>>
>>2079447
The wire will still create pressure sores on the feet.

I only know one rabbit breeder, and they don't use wire mesh. I can see it being easier for cleaning purposes, but I wouldn't want to myself over the risk of bumblefoot or even a foot getting trapped if the rabbit gets spooked and panics.

I've seem some great outdoor pens which were concrete or tiled underneath, with a few inches of sand in one section and shavings/other type of substrate in another. The sand can get raked up and cleaned daily with no issues, the other section being spot cleaned in the area they pee and fully cleaned weekly/twice a week depending on size and amount of rabbits. I've seen this used at 2 places I have worked, and in a few farm parks I have visited.

pictured is a great looking pen too. Similar concept to what I have seen, just without the substrate covering the whole pen.

http://best4bunny.com/bunny-care/housing-ideas/ This site has a number of outdoor pen options, all of which look good.
>>
>>2079454
zzz forgot to attach the image
>>
>>2079456
this is what rabbit heaven looks like

Damn the feels again. i have to put mine to sleep tomorrow morning
>>
>>2079456
>>2079454
That looks amazing indeed. Would a few nice digging pits stop them from digging in the grass areas?

Maybe dividing the grass part in two would allow to give the grass some rest to regrow.
>>
>>2079464
Looks lovely, doesn't it? If I keep an outdoor rabbit, I would do so in something like this.

Sorry to hear about your rabbit, it's horrible to have to put a pet to sleep, but you need to take comfort that it's the best option

>>2079483
Possibly, as it would be easier to dig in the pit.

I wouldn't say for certain though. If it's a pen just for them, I wouldn't worry so much about them digging the grass in there. It's just what rabbits do! Like I said, you don't need grass in the enclosure, but you wouldn't want wire covering the floor.

You could try pits with different mixtures of substrate too, your bun may have a preference in digging in something else!

Don't forget to have something that can cover the pen in either bright and hot weather, or cold and wet.
>>
>>2079486
I was looking for more ideas but some websites that look really seem to care about bunny welfare don't seem to have any issues with lining the floor with chicken wire for example (http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/rabbit-care/)

>Females are more likely to burrow than males, but some males will still dig, so this must be taken into account if you intend to put your rabbits out on the grass. If your rabbit is a proficient digger, you will need to line the run with chicken wire to prevent an escape.
>>
>>2079503
I've honestly never seen it nor seen it recommended here. Personal feelings is that I wouldn't want any risk of bumblefoot or feet getting caught. I work in animal management and through work know even more people who keep both indoor and outdoor rabbits, and I don't know anyone who does the wire flooring thing.

I personally try to avoid wire flooring in most animal enclosures.

If you really want to try it, go for it, as long as you're aware of the risks. I don't think it's needed if you do a pen like in the examples I linked. The site you linked does say:

>Wire mesh used on hutches and runs should be of strong quality (not chicken wire). The whole structure should be sited on patio to prevent burrowing out by the rabbits or burrowing in by foxes.

So it seems they recommend patio flooring over wire mesh anyway, and the page also states no wire mesh for giants or rex breeds, as it's inevitable that they will get problems(Due to size and lack of fur on the feet). I'm guessing you don't have a rex or a giant, but you need to be aware of the possibilities of bumblefoot or feet trapping if you cover the flooring with wire mesh.

Perhaps if you bury the mesh down underneath the ground, but then the rabbit will dig until it reaches the mesh anyway, and not letting them dig the grass seems to be the reason you want to do this.
>>
>>2079486
Are you the furry artist "fossa"? He's pretty cool dude, maybe legit the only sane furry
>>
>>2079524
You convinced me, I'm going to try it with a digging pit and maybe switching up between two grass parts so maybe we can even reseed if it's needed.
>>
File: Fossa-animals-32849887-500-332.png (441 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
Fossa-animals-32849887-500-332.png
441 KB, 500x332
>>2079526
Nope! I just think Fossas are cool. At least if I'm sharing a namesake with a furry, it's a sane one!

>>2079527
Glad I could help, anon!
>>
>>2079442
Unless you have only 1-2 rabbits, they're going to destroy the grass with their piss and shit. Usually pens on live grass get moved around to a new patch.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.