[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of spider is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: IMG-20160310-WA0002.jpg (205 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160310-WA0002.jpg
205 KB, 900x1600
What kind of spider is it guys? It was up on my leg and i was scared as fuck.
>>
It's in the Theridiidae family. Looks like a babby black widow. Keep precious babies safe and warm, OP.
>>
>>2079055
Some sort of orb weaver.
>>
>>2079068
Maybe a Western Spotted Orb Weaver? It'd be a lot easier to tell if you had a pic of its back.
>>
>>2079070
Wait my mistake, I thought it was dead on its back.
Whatever it is, its probably an orb weaver. Look for a large, pretty and strong web nearby.
>>
>>2079068
>>2079070
>>2079072
Wrong fuckin family.

I retract my juvenile babby comment from earlier and am fairly sure it's an adult or subadult Latrodectus geometricus, Brown Widow.
>>
>>2079191
>Latrodectus geometricus,
Thanks dude. Is it dangerous?
It's a cute spider but i don't want it near me.
>>
>>2079285
It's technically dangerous, but practically not. Serious envenomations rarely happen with brown widows despite having medically significant venom. They inject less than the proper spooky L. mactans that fucks people up, and even those are mostly reluctant to bite unless you're poking fingers into a web with a large mother and her eggsacs.

If you don't want to kill it, just scoop it up in a cup and put it in your neighbor's yard. They'll ball up for easy transportation outside of their web.
>>
>>2079191
Oh, whoops. Where I'm from the only spiders with such pretty abdomens are all orb weavers.
Good eye anon
>>
>>2079291
Very thanks. Looks like you know a lot about spiders. Thanks for answer everything.
>>
Black widows are painful, not deadly.
But like, SUPER crippling systemic pain.
Brown widows are less painful.
Also, Brown widows kill Black widows and are completely displacing them in places, like reverse killer bees.
>>
File: 1452900659243.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1452900659243.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>2079068
>>2079070
>>2079072
>Decently clear picture of the most easily identifiable brown widow in the history of anything
>Orbweaver
>>
File: 1453792608799.jpg (38 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1453792608799.jpg
38 KB, 400x388
>>2079415
To be honest, I think this is one of those weird cases where despite something being really common you've never seen or heard of it. Like someone mispronouncing a common word. I've heard OF brown widows but I've never seen a single one where I'm from, nobody I know talks about spiders, and they're so unremarkable nobody discusses them here. I've just never seen one before and assumed it was an orb weaver because it had a big round ornate abdomen. Gimme a break, I'm already embarrased as it is.
>>
>>2079478
The key is in the legs. And the eyes, though not in that picture.

The anon who thought it was a juvenile black widow at first was more understandable but the brown widow-specific patterning is very clear on this one.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.