[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do get a pet crow? Do you steal an egg in the woods or can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 232-277.jpg (31 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
232-277.jpg
31 KB, 500x334
How do get a pet crow? Do you steal an egg in the woods or can you buy them?
>>
>>2078557
Don't. They're social animals. Feed a flock instead and over time they'll become very friendly.
>>
>>2078565
This. Look into attracting a flock. You can even name them if you're good at telling which is which. As a bonus, they'll be much livelier and happier than they'd ever be in a cage AND you don't have to deal with all their random noise all hours of the day. I'd imagine they'd be easier to train when they're surrounded by stimuli. That's an uneducated guess, though.
>>
>>2078593

Yep. You make friends with crow you have crow friends forever unless you stop the gravy train of food.

Put dried mealworms in dishes around your yard. You will have crows and likely magpies too. You will have corvid army.
>>
>>2078599
Any reason to do dry over live?
>>
You just buy them.
>>
>>2078602
Either is fine.
>>
>>2078557
>I heard that these animals are really intelligent and social
>so awesome!
>I better imprison one of them for life, just so I can reaffirm my identity
>>
>>2078638
>animal intelligent enough to require friends of the same species and constant stimulation
>just fucking buying one on a whim
I bet you own a fishbowl. You do, don't you?
>>
File: _81210316_gifts-purple-624.jpg (68 KB, 624x400) Image search: [Google]
_81210316_gifts-purple-624.jpg
68 KB, 624x400
Now I wanna see if I can befriend some in my neighborhood and reel in some of those sweet crow gifts.
I'm not in it for the love. I'm in it for the cold, hard broken glass.
>>
>>2078712
>>2078593
Maybe I'm retarded but I was imagining having it on my shoulder like a pirate, not having it in a cage.
>>
>>2078718
That's really cool
>>
>>2078731
You'd have a better chance with a parrot if you want a pirate look. Plus they need a place to sleep and a separate place to eat/drink/poop. They're cute but also a massive responsibility and no matter how well you train them they shreik loud and often. As far as I know crows/ravens are in the same boat in that aspect.
>source: grandparents gave me a yellow-naped Amazon that came with a house because the neglectful, shitty previous owners lost interest. She was in a fucking parakeet cage when they got her
>>
>>2078718
I wonder if they'd accept gifts back. I doubt they'd eat coins or pretty stones. Maybe I'll try doing that if I ever get lucky enough to get close to a flock.
>>
>>2078753
Maybe just put out extra tasty treats for them? I'd be worried they might choke on small objects, especially if they're used to you giving them food
>>
>>2078731
You're going to have a shit streak going down your back
>>
>>2078557
>pet crow
holy shit you're edgy
>>
>>2078796
Pirates didn't wash very often. He could accumulate the process.
>>
>>2078716
>Asks whether you steal one from the wild or purchase one is main question
I just answered his question absolutely no one should own one as a pet because they are not pets . I doubt anyone dumb enough to ask this question has 2k to drop on it anyway and if they do the crow will probably end up in a rehab place eventually.
>>
>>2078557
Not that I'm condoning it, but Corvids and pretty much most raptors should NOT be raised from a hatchling if you want to keep it around. If they see you as a parental figure they will verbally harangue you for food INCESSANTLY. They are programmed to do that. In the wild, their parents would eventually stop feeding them and ignore them and that is the signal for the crow to bugger off and start his own life.

You might have more luck with a fledgling that has already imprinted on his own species and doesn't see you as a parent, but I don't know what kind of success rate that method has. Mostly, you'd want to befriend an adult.
>>
>>2078804

Sailors are covered in guano head to toe anyway, yes.
>>
>>2078802
>It's edgy bcuz it's black! XDDD

Holy shit you're autistic.
>>
>>2078557
I've been feeding crows near a mall and there's more each time I go there. I named a few of them. Trifle seems to be some sort of leader.
Along with Coco and Vanille.
They are the first 3 to eat anything and the others don't seem to interfere.
They live on top of the local mall, I'd say there are 12-14 crows?
>>
>>2078712
But isn't that what people do with parrots?
>>
You can legally (in the U.S.) buy a pied crow, a white-necked raven, or a hybrid of one or the other with another legal corvid. They are over $1,500 each from what I've found. Plus all of the negative stuff anons in the thread are telling you about "pet" corvids are true, you probably don't want one inside your house.
>>
>>2078823
My mistake. I thought you were encouraging him.
>>
File: 20160310_145325.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160310_145325.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2079043
It's all good, was at work so gave a short answer I've worked with crows. Theyre no pets at all if you're really interested either befriend a wild pack by feeding or volunteer at a wildlife rehab center.
>>
>>2078731
Any bird you have is going to need a cage. It's like their room where they can go to relax. You take them out regularly but they should always have a cage
>>
>>2078712
so people shouldn't own parrots either, who are just as intelligent and even more social? fact of the matter is we traded one extremely common species of native scavenger for exotic species and caused the endangerment of parrots around the world as a result. i would've preferred people just bought crows.

in this country it's legal to shoot a crow if it pisses you off enough but as soon as you put it in the cage (or even take one of its feathers) oy vey federal action time for fuck me in the ass prison

no, it don't make much sense to me.
>>
>>2079417
an outdoor aviary would actually be recommended for corvids
>>
>>2078979
Checked in on them, wow there's like 30 crows now.
What have I done?
>>
>>2082095
What you feeding them if you don't mind me asking?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.