[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it securing a recreational scuba diving job. like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: 1443583206622.jpg (89 KB, 634x480) Image search: [Google]
1443583206622.jpg
89 KB, 634x480
How hard is it securing a recreational scuba diving job. like what are the requirements and how good of a job is it.
>>
File: 1441567267794.gif (12 KB, 159x206) Image search: [Google]
1441567267794.gif
12 KB, 159x206
>>2076639
1. take a scooba class

2. ask instructor
>>
Depends on where you live. It would be almost impossible for me since the diving isn't nice where I live but I could get a job as a diver for an oil field. Pay is nice as fuck but it's dangerous. I'd rather just finish my Masters and work in my own field
>>
>>2076639
Any SCUBA instructor I've asked regarding career opportunities involving diving (be it recreational or commercial) has pretty much replied in the same vein; It looks fun from afar, but once you get into the thick of it, most people get tired of it before too long.

For recreational diving instructors, it's a saturated market, and you're essentially responsible for the safety of your students/customers; Not a terrible problem if said students/customers are sensible people who'll actually pay attention to and follow your guidance, but as in just about any service industry, there's no shortage of irresponsible fuckwits who can't seem to comprehend the inherent risks of diving, and why safety drills and measures should be taken seriously as a result. The pay is mediocre as well I'm told, so unless your job satisfaction is soaring, you eventually find yourself thinking about better fields of work.

For commercial diving, I was told the pay is much better, though not as great as it once used to be. Picking up the required certifications isn't as tough as it once was, and there's a lot more competition in the industry as a result, which naturally drove the salaries down. It's also not exactly glorious work either, as you're not exactly diving in pristine corals and sea beds with fantastic views, but usually murky oil drilling platforms in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but the barnacle-encrusted struts of the platform as your scenery. More inherent hazard-risks as well, seeing you usually end up diving much deeper than recreational depths. Again, if you enjoy the experience well enough, it's supposedly not a bad gig. But once more it's about job satisfaction trumping the cons.
>>
File: banana.gif (339 KB, 432x432) Image search: [Google]
banana.gif
339 KB, 432x432
>>2076639
Sounds like something that might take years of getting your name out there and even then may vary greatly from coast to coast. Maybe you could start out as an underwater welder or diving instructor (after obtaining proper credentials) and hope you make friends in the job range you want who might help you out. Both those jobs are probably bad examples though since they'd take ages of training but if you really want this job you'll have to go through similar one way or another.

Odds are they're 99% cartilage and the tiny scrapings of meat you'll get are acrid, but since 3rd grade I've really, really wanted to eat a mola mola just to know what it's like. They're fascinating creatures and I feel like the last things I need to do to learn all I can reasonably learn about them would be to swim with one and find out how they taste.

Anyone else here study a single species or genus and then suddenly want to eat one?
>>
File: 1446249111215.jpg (114 KB, 700x423) Image search: [Google]
1446249111215.jpg
114 KB, 700x423
>>2077953
maybe its gills will cure my cancer
>>
>>2077953
>Not only was William Buckland's home filled with specimens – animal as well as mineral, live as well as dead – but he claimed to have eaten his way through the animal kingdom: zoöphagy. The most distasteful items were mole and bluebottle fly;[24] panther, crocodile and mouse were among the other dishes noted by guests. The raconteur Augustus Hare claimed that "Talk of strange relics led to mention of the heart of a French King preserved at Nuneham in a silver casket. Dr. Buckland, whilst looking at it, exclaimed, 'I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before', and, before anyone could hinder him, he had gobbled it up, and the precious relic was lost for ever." The heart in question is said to have been that of Louis XIV.[25][26
>>
>>2078025
Oh wow. All I know about the guy is that he was an asshole with a priceless relic and already I like him.
>>
>>2076639
Thank you Animal Crossing, for letting me know what monstrosity of an animal that is
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.