[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always been told that whenever you train a dog, you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 1320x729) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 1320x729
I've always been told that whenever you train a dog, you should always ignore bad behavior and reward desired behavior, but never to hit or yell. I was wondering if /an/ has experience with dogs who respond more to negative attention than positive.

My dog whines in the crate whenever I'm not in his line of vision, but whenever I reward him for being quiet, he whines again whenever I leave. Finally, I firmly told him to be quiet, and he was quiet for the rest of the time he was in the crate, and I rewarded him.

Other than this, I don't ever yell or hit my dog, but I was just curious if punishment would work in addition to positive enforcement.
>>
>>2075390
There are a few schools of thought to dog training, from my observationS and research.

Purely positive, Caesar Milan-ing a dog into submission, and aomething between the two i call correction training. What you did is more in the correction school of thought. Nothing wrong with it. Different dogs respond to different things, and folks have their own preferences.
>>
punishment in the form of isolation or removal from the situation can be helpful depending on the situation and the dog. but physical punishment is just a shitty thing to do
>>
do you guys ever think a dog is beyond help?
dogs that have been enabled for most of their lives
>>
>>2075481
No.

There's a dog sanctuary in my city that often takes in dogs that have previously been deemed unfit for adoption. They have rehabilitated some of them into perfect family pets and some have even gone on to become service animals
>>
I think light verbal punishment is necessary in training when bad behaviors are displayed (not when the dog refuses to do somethig you ask). Simply ignoring your dog when he poops on your carpet and hopes he does it outside next time isn't going to work.
>>
>>2075390

>using a crate
>>
>>2075535
are you serious?
>>
>>2075536

I'm not American, so yes.
>>
>>2075539
what does being american have to do with using a crate? not sure if I'm responding to bait
>>
>>2075541

No one besides Americans uses a crate, because it's completely pointless to anyone that can competently train a dog. Literally no one I know in my country has ever used a crate.
>>
I don't think theres anything wrong with "yelling" at a dog, if you do it to surprise them, make them stop what they're doing, but not to scare them or to intimidate them.

But maybe my definition of yell is different.
Don't make it sound angry, just firm. Try a loud "ACK" like some Mars Attacks type shit.
>>
>>2075541
some places get triggered by the concept of crates because they have no idea how to use them properly
>>
>>2075541
People who think that those who use crates 24/7 or whenever they can't handle a dog use it as an insult because most of 4chan is American
>>
>>2075535

I'm sorry if using crates triggers your autism, but believe it or not, there are people who use them properly.
>>
>>2075390
Depends on the dog, some breeds are so stupid that hitting them does nothing, some breeds will slowly want to kill you if you hit them, and some breeds will obey without hitting. You have to realize its a freaking dog your human speech is just gibberish to it and it only recognizes certain sounds like sit or fetch for example so if it is ignoring you all the time thats because it has no fucking idea what you are trying to tell it.
>>
Read some stuff by William Koehler.
Dont reward the dog in the crate.
Leave him until he stops whining, then allow him out. His freedom is the reward.
A sharp "no" if he has any familiarity with the word is fine to encourage him to stop whining.
>>
>>2075612
Thank you. I was told to pay absolutely no attention to him if he's whining in the crate. I thought rewarding him while he was in the crate would help him associate it with something good.

His whining comes in 5-10 second intervals. Do I wait till he stops whining altogether?
>>
>>2075398
My sister's dog is really weird. She cusses he shit out of that dog like calling her a "fucking slut" an saying shit like "You're mommy's little disgrace" when she does something wrong but I have never seen her hitting the dog. The dog on the other hand acts incredibly trained. Once when I was over my by sister she said out lout "Where the fuck did that little slut go? Did she go for some <racial slur> dicking?" Sure enough the dog scampered out from where the fuck it was and sat in front of her and started wagging her tail. It's really bizarre. She doesn't talk like that to the dog while out in public though.
>>
>>2075619
Give him something good when you put him in the crate. Ie: a pig ear, a kong stuffed with goodies.
Dogs will vary. You can try letting him out as soon as thr treat is gone, before he stops whining, or maybe before; to entice him into willingly staying in thr crate.
If you cannot get him to stop whining for several minutes at a time, leave him for very long. A few hours maybe. Eventually he will grow tired of whining.
Combine with the above; hopefully he makes the connection.
>>
>>2075621
The dog understands tone of voice and inflection. Word choice hardly matters.
>>
Thanks guys. I needed a clear indicator for my dog to know that I don't like what he's doing. Ignoring doesn't seem to work, but I think a firm "No" or "Stop it" might work.
>>
>>2076125
I just treat my dog like I would treat my child-knowing it's limits, knowing when to be firm and when to praise, and not putting up with it's crap, but also not using fear and power to control. Just dominance in the way that you MUST be dominant over your kid.
>>
i'm not american an my dog is crate trained

.. his metal house crate is now a bunny habitat but the training is useful for if he has to go anywhere they don't allow unconstrained dogs like a bus or plane or a ride on my motorcycle with me.. i also use one to sneak him into restaurants or movie theatres etc.because it just looks like a duffle bag and since he's trained to be calm and quiet no one ever figures it out (except dog people, and they don't care)

i also know if there's an emergency he won't have additional stress at the vet from being crated
>>
>>2075543
Ausfag, I'm Canadian and I use a crate. It's not for punishment, and my dog actually prefers to sleep in it over sleeping on the bed.
The reason I have it is so my pupper doesn't destroy my house while nobody's in it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.