[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need resources on training my sister's dog she stopped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151102_121625.jpg (4 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151102_121625.jpg
4 MB, 2368x3200
I need resources on training my sister's dog

she stopped caring about him once he grew up, and has since left him with me. He's about 2 1/2 years old

>pit/boxer mix
>lover at home, asshole everywhere else
>cannot walk him without significant trouble
>aggressive towards other dogs and small children
>anxiety problems

I love him very much and don't want to perpetuate the pitbull myth via carelessness
I'd be very grateful for any links or book recommendations
>>
>>2071749
Just go to dog training.
>>
>>2071754
no, I don't have any money
>>
>>2071755
Give up dog to rescue so they can find a suitable home
>>
>>2071761
he has a suitable home, kill yourself
>>
>>2071749
Google is your friend, I don't think you're likely to get a sensible answer here. Asshole he might be though, he's gorgeous. 10/10, would pet if he'd let me.
>>
>>2071763

Not him, but >>2071755 isn't a suitable home for pretty much any animal. It's all fine during the good times, but if there's an emergency, what are you going to do? Love isn't enough to save a dog that's sick or injured.

Anyway, the dog sounds like a legal battle and a court-ordered euthanasia waiting to happen. I'd keep it as far away from well-populated areas as possible until you can afford a trainer. Aggression toward children is hard to treat because no one really wants to volunteer their kids to help you socialize your shitty dog and potentially get bitten or badly frightened, and your dog is one unknowing child away from being put down.

Until you can get help, just walk your dog in places where there are few children or other dogs. Try hiking trails. Or maybe muzzle him when you take him out.
>>
>>2071749
Youtube:

Kikopup

Zak George

JollytailsInc

Aggression issues often stem from fear, if none of these youtubers can help you with most of your problems, seek an actual dog trainer for help.
>>
>>2071755
You're either underage, NEET, or both. Dog training is not that expensive. Here's hoping your dog attacks a small child and gets you a juicy lawsuit
>>
>>2071783
OP didn't say they couldn't provide for him, but they probably can't afford the extra for training classes as well. It's not like they have many options here, it's the sister that fucked him up and left OP to sort out the mess. You aren't exactly going to find a home for an agressive pit mix. The only options in this situation are to seek help or euthenise, but in true /an/ fashion no one seems to have a shred of useful advice and would rather just be assholes.
>>
>>2071749
>>2071788
Oh, and just keep the dog out of situations that you know are going to be a hazard until you have him more under control. You can take him on walks with a good strong harness and leash where there aren't people.
>>
>>2071749
its like youre describing my old boxer i used to have. redzone dog owner hack: get a HALTI-COLLAR, choke chains and shock collars are for tards. walk him as often as u can, avoid crowded places at first, then gradually take him around other dogs and ppl. dog/hooman aggression never fully goes away, especially with strangers. boxer confirmed= skin problems imminent. also seizures and bloat are common for boxers, especially in old age
>>
>>2071797
>no one seems to have a shred of useful advice

Funny, but I have advice right there. Right in that post you're quoting, which I would've assumed you had read if you were quoting it, but I guess you just stopped at the first sentence because you were too distracted by your knotted panties to keep reading. >>2071788 also has advice, but I guess you just skipped over that, too.

Like I said, no one is going to want to volunteer their small child to help socialize an aggressive dog, and usually you train through exposure. OP's best bet is to get a trainer, his second best bet is to just try his damnedest to keep his shit-tier dog away from anyone and anything it would maul. There's not going to be much he can do on his own without children, and again, most parents would not put their kids at risk like that. Aggression toward children is one of the hardest things to fix in a dog, and usually a dog that's like that will never be fully trustworthy, because on top of the unpredictability of the dog, you have the unpredictability of a young child that doesn't understand much about the world in general, and certainly doesn't know how to interact properly with a dog.

What do you faggots want, a failsafe method to fix assholishness in dogs? It doesn't exist.
>>
>>2071788
>>2071800
>>2071807

thanks for your advice. I walk him on sparsely populated trails and will continue to do so. I will look into those youtube channels and the halti-collar as well. I'll post an update soon!
>>
It's not a myth if it's a fact about your dog.
>>
>>2071828
Halti collars are ok, but use caution if he lunges because it controls his jaws, you can end up yanking his head back pretty badly. Try to get his energy out BEFORE you do any training, it will help a shit ton. You should invest in a good strong harness and maybe a clicker which helps you to communicate to the dog exactly when they did something right.
>>
first of all learn how to resize pictures
>>
>>2071763
>lover at home, asshole everywhere else
>cannot walk him without significant trouble
>anxiety problems

that is not a suitable home. a suitable home with a suitable owner would not have a dog that has problems like this.
you shouldn't own a dog if you can't afford things like vet or training when it's needed.
>>
keep a muzzle on it when you go out
>>
>>2071793
That's pretty mean, why would you say that?
>>
>anxiety problems
have it put down.
>>
>>2071749
Google some of the newer books on training, then go to the sticky on /lit/ to get the book for free. Definitely do a lot of reading before really tackling the aggression issue. I'd recommend an easy walk harness to better control him on walks, make sure the leash is attached to the collar too as a back up. The only training books I have are pretty old by now, and may not be suitable for your aggression case. But anyhow, for a place to start, try Underdog by siegal and Margolis and Dogs: breeds, care and training by Shirlee a kalstone. One deals with training the unknown that is mutts, the other deals with training methods with different drives of breeds, since you have a mix of two different breeds.

But like I said, try to just Google some newer books. Both of these books are probably woefully outdated by now
>>
>>2071749
If that's your dog, looks like an American Bulldog to me. Often mistaken for "pit/boxer mix". I have one and he can be a handful. I would definitely absolutely not put a halti on him - he will lunge at the drop of a hat and you would risk hurting him badly. Get a harness instead. And if he's super aggressive a cage muzzle. He'll get the idea pretty quick I'd imagine.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.