[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know about chinchillas? Mine is being a faggot and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Standardchinchilla.jpg (24 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Standardchinchilla.jpg
24 KB, 512x384
Does anyone know about chinchillas? Mine is being a faggot and I don't know what to do about it. It's really bumming me out.
>>
>>2061131
What do you mean by being a faggot?
>>
>>2061131
Well what exactly is it doing?
>>
>>2061131
Did it decide it prefers chinchillas of the same sex?
>>
I just got him a few weeks ago, and so I understand he's still adjusting, but he really doesn't like being held. He still won't let me hold him or pick him up no matter how gentle I try to be. So trying to move him around like to clean the cage or to a play area is really annoying. And he always tries to escape when I open the cage, but won't get into my hands, he just goes around them and jumps out and then I have to chase him around the fucking house. It's really starting to piss me off.
>>
>>2061140
And then when I do catch him to put him back in the cage, he gets all pissed and squirms and makes noises at me. He hasn't bitten me hard enough to hurt yet, but he gets all confrontational when he knows I'm trying to catch him, chirping at me and facing me aggressively to try to bluff me.
>>
>>2061142
He's cool with being petted, so I always pet him gently every day and talk to him to try to build trust...but he still acts this way.
>>
>>2061145
It sounds like you didn't do any research before getting one. No chins are pets that you observe, not hold. Look up some caresheets and make a room specifically for the chin. Let him out in that room or a puppy pin when you need to clean, then leave his cage open with food and wait for him to go back in. Also get it a fucking friend, it's not going to bond with you and will only get more scared as time goes on because its lonely and has no companion to encourage it.

I honestly suggest you just rehome it and either get a pair of rats, or a pair of guinea pigs.
>>
>>2061148
I did do research, so just stop with the assumptions. I watched a ton of videos and read plenty of information about behavior, habits, needs, etc. If you knew anything about chinchillas, you would know that they aren't simply pets that you observe; unless you want a really lonely chinchilla. Why the fuck do you think I'm on here trying to get advice?
>>
>>2061140
this is chinchillas. this is what they do.
>>
>>2061131
Hmmm. My friend recently got a rabbit that was hostile and distant at first. I've also heard hedgehogs are like this. I guess ting animals have awhile before they get used to you. Try talking to it softly and let it get used to your voice. Or look up how to tame a reclusive/aggressive chinchilla on YouTube.
>>
You're literally trying to grab a rodent, they are programed to be squirmy when a predator is holding them.

Despite that, you've only had him for a few week, he is still trying to get used to you, he needs to build trust, if he ever does, because small mammals are flighty like that.
>>
>>2061152
That's why you get it a companion. I don't understand why it's accepted by pretty much everyone that rats are highly social and need the company of their own kind, but somehow chinchillas, which are just as highly social, don't. They live in groups of up to a hundred in the wild, of course it's not going to be okay singled out while a large predator tries to pick it up.
>>
>>2061232
1. He's 6 years old; it would be hard for him to adjust to having another chinchilla in the cage with him at this point.
2. As long as he's provided plenty of daily social interaction and physical contact with members of the household family, he doesn't need another chinchilla to feel like part of a group.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.