[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, I just got a 14 week old puppy today. He ate one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: ss (2016-01-31 at 10.33.09).jpg (113 KB, 926x517) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-31 at 10.33.09).jpg
113 KB, 926x517
Hey /an/,

I just got a 14 week old puppy today. He ate one small can of puppy food at about 7:30pm and we took him outside 10 minutes later, but nothing happened. We let him play for a bit and eventually he did pee but never pooped.

It's 10:30 and still nothing. He has peed on newspaper a few minutes ago but does nothing outside.

Normal? Should I be concerned? Is it just new house/diet? The foster fed him 'beneful' but we got him merrick grain free puppy food.

Is it detrimental to housebreaking to let him use newspapers? He seems to know what they're for, which is better than nothing, though he did pee outside twice.

It's only day 1 so I'm not super concerned but everything says he'll need to go within a half hour of eating. I'm sure much better wet food will affect him differently, I just don't know whether or not to wait it out or to just put him in the crate to sleep.

Also at 14 weeks should I let him out in the middle of the night, or is he good to wait 8 hours? The foster agency person said it was ok to leave him overnight but they all said different stuff and I'm not sure what's right.
>>
Just relax
>>
>>2051541

he's sleeping in a bed next to pc what do I do

oh god he heard me typing and he's looking at me
>>
>>2051546
Have you had a puppy before?
>>
>>2051522
No to newspaper! Have you had him checked for intestinal parasites? Yea could be that he's just stressed and nervous. If he doesn't poop in the next 24 I would call your vet
>>
He's probably fine Op but you always want to switch foods slowly, mixing in the new stuff with the old stuff over a period of 2-3 weeks. Also keep his age in mind and ask your vet if pups need anything dietarily different then adults.

Also, don't use papers if he's already going outside, but also monitor him constantly.
>>
>>2051704

We've been taking him outside but sometimes he runs over to the paper. He peed on the carpet before we put any out so this is better. Today I put the used paper outside and he went after smelling it so hopefully he doesn't need it after long.

He finally pooped too so I guess he's healthy.
>>
>different food
>new living arrangements
it's normal for a dog to be irregular in this situation, especially if it's a puppy. just keep an eye on him, he will probably start acting differently when he's about to poop. then rush him outside as quickly as possible.

>Is it detrimental to housebreaking to let him use newspapers?
you should be training him to only relieve himself outside.

rule of thumb is a puppy can hold his bladder an hour for every month of age, so a 14-week old dog should go out every 3-4 hours.
>>
he's likely stressed from the huge change that's just happened in his life. that can cause a dog not to poop for a day or two. experience.

it can also cause him to have terrible diarrhea. that, and the fact that you've suddenly switched him from shitty, dry beneful to a totally different brand of grain-free wet food have created the perfect storm. ask your vet--you DO have an appointment for a checkup with your vet, right?--for something to help calm his stomach so you can ride out this literal shitstorm you've created for yourself.
>>
>>2051844

He's going to the vet in a few weeks for his last shots.

He has now pooped twice and it was normal. So I think he's alright now. Thanks for the advice guys.

I have helped with puppies before, my family members have owned lots of dogs but never my own full time. Just cats. But he can already sit and seems to be getting better at going outside already so I guess it's going OK
>>
>>2051522
Just a tip for everybody, canned pumpkin is healthy to give puppy's and will help in getting the puppy to poop!
>>
>>2051955

Actually while I've got the thread up, I bought him Merrick's food because it had good ratings online, but I wasn't sure if I should get the back country variety or not. Both are puppy food grain free, but the back country has freeze dried raw in it. I figure that's probably better but I went with the normal kibble since they probably closer to what he's used to for now.

Is the freeze dried raw worth it? My cats never liked that shit but they eat real meat usually. I figure grain free is probably good enough but idk.
>>
>>2051968
Merrick just recently got bought out by Purina and will likely experience a quality drop in the near future. Look into Instinct, Farmina N&D (grain free), and Orijen. Much better dry options. Or, better yet, consider moving to a vet-balanced raw diet. Your pup will thank you.
>>
>>2052430

Apparently purina is owned by nestle, which I'd prefer not to support so thanks for that info. I'll switch him once this food is gone.
>>
>>2052459
Huh no, you don't switch when it's gone, you switch with hit and slowly give more and more of the new one.
>>
>>2054189

Ya I know, that's what I meant. The wet food is the real thing I need to get through. I'll ease him onto the next kibble.

He handled this switch fine I think, regular poops.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.