[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Which would be the best pet in a zombie apocalypse? Considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: l7t4myP.jpg (19 KB, 361x287) Image search: [Google]
l7t4myP.jpg
19 KB, 361x287
>Which would be the best pet in a zombie apocalypse?

Considering said animal is still susceptible to acquiring the zombie plague through biting someone infected.
>>
>>2022746
Probably some bacteria that kills zombie viruses.
>>
Pomeranian.
>>
>>2022746
Chihuahua.
Tie it to a random streetlight, up high.
Let it bark for hours.
The rest of the town is now zombie-free as they all gather below the piƱata.
>>
Probably a female horse or pony for very obvious reasons.
>>
A shark that wields katana and that can use mind control to summon other cool animals like bears and, turtles with eyes that shoot lazer beams.

Easy question honestly.
>>
Meat rabbits.
>>
>>2022748
Do you commonly keep bacteria as pets? Also I'm pretty sure it's rare or nonexistent for bacteria to destroy viruses, it's viruses that usually infect bacteria.
>>
>>2022746
>Implying a zombie disease would become pandemic
>>
File: TOKYO-JUNGLE1.jpg (99 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
TOKYO-JUNGLE1.jpg
99 KB, 640x358
>>2022750
>>
>>2022871
Even if it's just endemic.
Also, that doesn't answer the question
>>
>>2022863
This.
-quiet
-easy to move
-requires little food
-reproduces quickly
-not inclined to inbreeding depression

Two does and a buck can produce 150 pounds of dressed out meat a year.
>>
>>2022863
>>2022898
I was gonna say border collie or some other smart breed, but-

>thread
>>
>>2022900
Do you plan on herding sheep through the zombie apocalypse?
>>
>>2022908
Haha, no. But you would need a dog that's easy to train with good recall so it doesn't just run out and attack the zombie and get infected. Or carry the virus.

And you know, dogs are basically our ultimate tools plus companions. Meat rabbits are great, but not much for company.
>>
>>2022935
Meat rabbits don't really strike me as pets... More like livestock.
>>
>>2022961
They can be both, just like chickens.
>>
>>2022935
The biggest draw back to a dog (in this particular situation), is what to feed it. Dogs need a good amount of meat in their diet. They also need vegetables. That means the dog is eating YOUR food.
Rabbits eat weeds. You could harvest stuff *inedible to people (weeds, small branches, brush) and turn it into meat by feeding it to the rabbits.

>*nb4 hurr you can eat weeds
We can eat some wild found greens, but why survive on dandelion when you could eat rabbit?
>>
>>2023040
Keep the rabbits and herd them with the collie /thread/
>>
>>2023040
Well if you want a healthy dog yes, but dogs basically survived by our sides by eating whatever scraps we gave them. Combine this with the fact that the dog will actively be hunting any small animals it can find, and you have a companion that can basically survive on very little and whatever you give it.

I honestly would much rather have the dog and train it to help me hunt then have rabbits. There would be plenty of wildlife, bugs, fish, wild plants, and basically scavenging material to keep you fed. More so if your in a city with access to grocery stores.

The dog would be a companion plus an alarm, PLUS a possible tool to help you hunt.
>>
>>2023157
I don't think modern dogs instinctively hunt animals for food the way say, cats do
>>
>>2023178
Sure they do, you ever had dogs on bigger properties like farmland that they can just wonder? They'll try to catch rabbits and stuff, though its usually more for play because they aren't really starving.

Now take that and combine it with hunger+some training on your part and I bet they'll be at least OK at getting their own food.

Dogs can also digest some things that we can't, like rotting meat and garbage.

I'm just saying, a medium sized, or even 100 lb dog, doesn't need much food to survive and would be a much more useful pet in general.

Of course, everything is situational, and if I were stuck in the middle of a city full of zombies, I might prefer a horse to ride out with-though cars would be much more practical.
>>
Depends. Is this talking about it in realistic terms, or is any living animal fair game, just assuming it won't kill you?
>>
>DOG VS RABBIT
Pig is best of both.
>>
>>2023185
In realistic terms. Which animal would be less of a problem and more of an advantage. I didn't really consider eating said animal as some suggested, but I guess that works too.
>>
>>2022841
Underrated post 40 keks
>>
>>2022863
>>2022898
Except that rabbit meat does nothing for you. It doesn't have anything humans can use, in fact it's better to eat nothing just so your body won't waste time and energy digesting worthless shit.
>>
>>2022746

Get a raging bull. The hell a zombie going to do? Good food source too, could salt the meat if power is gone and feed for a month.
>>
You really can't eat rabbit too often, you'll get protein poisoning. The human liver can't handle the post-apocalyptic bunny diet.
>>
Ferret, teach him to get rabbits for u = permanent food
>>
>>2022863
>>2022898
>>2022900
>>2022935
>>2022961
>>2022978
Rabbits are a shit food source if you're trying to survive. You'd be malnourished as fuck in a week if you can't supplement. You'd really have to dig into the organs as well, not just muscle.
>>
>>2023497
if you ONLY eat rabbit, for extended period,of time. however if you ate say a mentos a day and maybe some folliage youd be aight. rabbit osnt poisonous, just lean.
>>
>>2023497

You can eat rabbit every single day without any issues. It's true that you can't live on rabbit alone, but the same applies to a lot of healthy food sources. You'd also end up malnourished if you tried to live solely on kale or beans or apples, but it's not because you can't eat these things regularly, they're just not a complete food source in themselves.

The reason why rabbit is specifically noted is because during famines and survival situations, lean wild game (often bunnies, but this can happen with any lean meat, it's not that rabbits are toxic) is often the ONLY food available after everything else has been eaten- and those animals are extremely lean themselves as they're struggling to eat too. So starving people are frantically eating rabbit for every meal because it's all there is, but they're getting an excess of protein and not enough dietary fat. They'd still die faster eating nothing at all, and they'd be fine eating rabbit regularly if it wasn't their sole food source. Farmed rabbit also tends to be much fattier than wild rabbit, so raising them yourself would be helpful in that aspect.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.