[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here have experience owning seahorses? Any advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 9-1-13-63.jpg (2 MB, 2376x3158) Image search: [Google]
9-1-13-63.jpg
2 MB, 2376x3158
Anyone here have experience owning seahorses?

Any advice?
>>
No, but I heard that you have to be very careful with the decor, since they can easily injure themselves with sharp edges.
Also they can only be kept with slugs or other seahorses.
>>
>>2021853
Yeah I've read the same. I don't plan on getting some anytime soon but I've always liked them and would be interested in owning a herd one day when I have enough time and money
>>
I am a professional aquarist and one of my clients has a seahorse tank, as far as water quality goes they are pretty easy to maintain as far as marine aquariums are concerned, however you need to have minimal water flow (need to under stock the aquarium, so their shit doesn't poison them), "perches" for them to grasp onto, you can only keep other seahorses and pipe fish as anything else will out compete them for food and you need yo be able to culture brine shrimp and mysis shrimp to feed them daily. My advice: hire a pro to maintain them for you or don't keep seahorses as they are pretty boring and better choices for marine aquariums exist. Get some captive breed clown fish they are easier to keep and far more interesting to watch.
>>
>>2021853
>only kept with slugs or other seahorses
Why?
>>
>>2021889
I don't really like clownfish though. I plan on hiring a professional to do most of the shit since I can't into fish. It will be a smaller tank but I plan on having at least 2 salt water aquariums
>>
>>2021936
Seahorses are extremely slow eaters, almost everything can outcompete them for food.
Also lots of commonly kept fish are a potential threat.
>>
>>2021941
I charge close to $200 an hour to keep difficult aquariums, also I always round up to the nearest hour, the seahorse tank I maintain takes 2 - 3 hours a week to maintain also I offer a unique service where a portion of my personal fish room can be rented out for quarantine, fry rearing or in this case food cultivation ($75 a week). So my client that keeps seahorses is paying me $475 - $675 a week for me to come into their house 2 - 3 hours a week. Then there were the start up cost which were very high, but to save cost we used a 125 gallon tank (not a custom size or drilled aquarium) ~$1,000, then I built a custom sump with a refugium ~$250 + labor, substrate was ~$300, live rock and decorations came to nearly $500, and full set up labor was 6 hours at $100 per hour (I have a cheaper set up rate than maintenance rate). So the set up cost ~$2,700 which isn't too bad all things considered. Now onto livestock seahorses ain't cheap, a good seahorse will set you back about ~$80, they have 10 seahorses, that's $800 in fish. $3,500 just for an aquarium with a weekly cost of $475 - $675 every week.
>>
>>2022096
Not that anon, but thanks for the insight. Do you have any pictures of the aquarium that you could show by any chance?
>>
>>2022096
Is this a full time job for you? How many clients do you have? Is this something you started on your own or what? I'm just curious.
>>
>>2022101
Some clients allow me to use their aquariums for promotional materials, mostly aquariums in public spaces, this is in one of my client's homes and they did not want any photos to be taken.
>>2022107
It didn't start out as a full time job, but it grew pretty quickly through word of mouth, I have 14 clients and an assistant I send out when I get a little over booked. I started my business from the ground up and it pays me well enough and it's growing, I have a few consolidations scheduled for the start of next year, I might have to promote my assistant to a full time aquarist and get another truck soon if it keeps growing
>>
>>2022125
Consolations, I am on my phone right now, Auto correct is a bitch
>>
>>2022125
Hey man, good on ya. I'm happy for you. You seem to be a good professional. Post some of your other work.
>>
>>2022125
sounds amazing, im in the uk - i wonder if this is something I could get into doing. I guess you had an extremely extensive background in this before you began in business. I have not yet into saltwater aquariums which i guess is where the money is but as a animal (and particuarly aquatic) fanatic who sold his soul to a job in an office in a city this sounds like a great change of life
>>
>>2022135
I have 20 years of experience in keeping aquariums and I have a degree in marine biology with a minor in business. If it can be kept in an aquarium, j can keep it alive, I am looking at expanding my services to include amphibians and reptiles in the future
>>
>>2022134
I am not in the office right now or I would post some photos of my work, all of my work photos are on my office computer
>>
>>2022146
interesting enough, I'm also finishing my bachelor in biology and also had some business courses. I would like to have a some what similar business like the one you have, but more directed to terrariums/paludariums.

What business courses did you had? How many did you had?
>>
>>2021944
anemones will eat them, corals can poison them,
>>
>>2022166
I don't remember, college was over 10 years ago, yeah I know I am an old fart.

So I am going to hijack OP's seahorse thread.

Aquarist AMA time!! I am not in the office and won't be until after next week, going on vacation, so no photos at this time, sorry also I won't give my location as I don't want to expose any of my clients. So ask away
>>
>>2022096
Damn nigga I could undercut you easily and take your clients. I've been doing this for 15 years and make close to 15k a month only charging $150 an hour and doing some of the best work in the business.
>>
I hate them they ruined my life
>>
>>2022096
Hey OP here, sorry I couldn't reply sooner (was at work). That sounds about correct price-wise although I do plan on getting a custom built tank which I'm estimating at ~$1,000 more. As for your clients, is all they have to do is feed them between your visits? Or any other tasks?
>>
>>2022364
My seahorse client doesn't do a thing, I come and feed the seahorses 3 times a week, I also stock the refugium with mysis on every visit. They also get the standard weekly water quality tests, which I log and keep a record of to watch for problems and prevent them before they become serious, every visit gets an algae scrub, filters are checked and cleaned as needed, and once a week there is a 25% water change (with aged and treated saltwater that I premixed). So I am not the cheapest aquarist around, but I work hard and do a better job than anyone else in my area.
>>
>>2022288
how?
>>
>>2023057
Seahorses killed my family.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.