[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Dog Trust?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: MiniSchnau.jpg (362 KB, 1053x654) Image search: [Google]
MiniSchnau.jpg
362 KB, 1053x654
Hey /an/,

My family recent just adopted this girl from a local rescue, and she's having a tough time adjusting.

Near as we can tell, she's about 4 years old, miniature schnauzer, was in the shelter for 2 years. The problem is that while she seems very friendly, and is very lovey, for the last several nights while they're trying to lie down to sleep, she's suddenly freaked out and snapped at my parents. Tonight, it was hard enough to make my mom bleed.

I know my mother is taking it really hard, because we've recently lost 2 other schnauzers, and they were the gentlest dogs you've ever seen.

Is there really anything that we can be doing to help her acclimatize to her new surroundings?
>>
Pick up a book on dog body language, watch some YouTube vids on positive training, try to observe when she begins to get agitated and try figure out why she's feeling that way, and maybe try crating her at night. Proper ways to crate train can be googled and should be a positive, safe place for her to go.

Also give her a good month or so to adjust yo a new environment.
>>
>>2020748
The thing is she's asleep when she freaks out. I dont know if dogs dream or have nightmares, but that's certainly what it feels like. Will look into the training vids though, thanks!
>>
>>2020761
Dogs can certainly have varying levels of dreams and actions during dreams, in which case that doesn't sound so much like something that you could train out. Someone could be bumping her in her sleep, she gets irritated, then bites.

It never hurts to do the above suggestions, but it might be more practical to simply give her her own bed to sleep in on the ground.
>>
Get her a crate that she can have as her safe space. It'll take a while for her to get used to but it will help.
When dogs first wake up they can get a bit confused but it may be that she has suffered abuse.
Crates seem harsh if you're not used to them but it's best to think if them as a bedroom and a safe space.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.