[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much does /an/ know about pterosaurs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
How much does /an/ know about pterosaurs?
>>
>>2018643
about 12 I'd guess.
>>
>>2018644
that's right! Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 12 meters
>>
>>2018643
>>2018644
>>2018794
What I do know is that pic is not a Quetzalcoatlus, the neck is far to short and the beak is long and curved, Quetzalcoatlus had a short straight beak.it looks more like a Geosternbergia
>>
>>2018643
That the one in that pic looks hilarious
Other than that, nothing
>>
>>2018643
>bird coloration on a pterosaur
for some reason this irks me, expecially the yellow feet, at least they didn't make the hands yellow also like in 90% of feathered dinosaur illustrations
>>
>>2019122
What color do you think they were then?
>>
>>2018643
I know exactly as much as I want to know, thank you very much.
>>
>>2019126
The yellow scales on birds are a recent mutation, it would be odd to find them in earlier theropods or freaking pterosaurs, and there is no particular reason for them to be yellow either, some birds have blue feet and so on.
>>
File: carrion_by_chrismasna-d8trhc3.jpg (2 MB, 3746x1943) Image search: [Google]
carrion_by_chrismasna-d8trhc3.jpg
2 MB, 3746x1943
>>
File: moo4.jpg (1 MB, 1573x2331) Image search: [Google]
moo4.jpg
1 MB, 1573x2331
>>2018643
I fucking love pterosaurs. No, but I think they're amazing in their weirdness, veriaty and sheer scale they acheived, not to mention the fact that they were the first vertibrates to fly, and they indipendantly evolved fur. Considering just how weird and wonderful they are, it's pretty frustrating how poorly reprisented and overlooked they are, good to see them getting some love here.

>have some shitty arts I did
>>
>>2019516
what a terrifying time period
>>2019608
good art anon, I like that it's some sort of prehistoric zoo. very interesting. also good color scheme on the pterosaurs
>>
>>2019689
Thanks, had this weird dream that they were some sort of local attraction, like huge puffins. They also made this soft mooing sound, was really quite lovely.
>>
>>2019217
ever heard of convergent evolution FAGGOT
>>
my uncle saw a pterodactyl once
>>
>>2019608
it looks nice anon

i r8 8/8
>>
>>2019217
That would only be semi evidence for direct ancestors of birds.
For all we know pterosaurs and every large theropod were all solid yellow.
>>
>>2019751
See
>there is no particular reason for it
Convergent evolution happens to useful traits, there is no advantage to yellow feet, also the scales on bird feet developed after loosing the foot feathers, pterosaurs would still have regular reptilian scales on the feet or other coverings.

>>2019885
>all archosaurs exept crocodylia had yellow lamellar bird feet
what a time to be alive
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.