[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, what do you think about bioethics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: Screenshot_6.png (788 KB, 860x484) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
788 KB, 860x484
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rp4V3Sj5jE
>>
I don't usually come to this board, I saw this on the homepage. But is science stuff like this common on this board? I usually browse /sci/, but I don't usually see much neurology on there.
>>
>>2017766
There are usually some threads discussing phylogeny and evolutionary relationships.
>>
>>2017766

I didn't know where to post this. Just thought I'd share, this is like the closest board I think. It was either here or science yeah.
>>
>>2017751
I sometimes hot glue bugs to the wall if that counts.
>>
File: 29870294832.png (464 KB, 1324x992) Image search: [Google]
29870294832.png
464 KB, 1324x992
>>2017751
this shit is fucking crazy
>>
>>2017751
Heh, saw that a couple years back

Still cool I guess
>>
>>2017898

Apparently the roach is properly anaesthized, although it looks more like waterboarding lol.
>>
>>2017896

So you have a wall covered with writhing, dying insects.
>>
>>2017751
Biology is one of the very few endeavors where we allow idiots to tell us how we're going to do our job, and then pat them on the back and thank them for being so caring and helpful.
>>
>>2017922
Well use to. Before I moved into my new apartment. I never got my deposit back haha
>>
File: oh_god_what_have_i_done____.png (1 MB, 8443x6306) Image search: [Google]
oh_god_what_have_i_done____.png
1 MB, 8443x6306
>Be natural historian
>Hey anon, today we're going to teach you how to mount insect specimens
>mitebecool.jpg
>Frolic outside and catch butterflies
>Curator instructs us to put butterfly in jar, then a few drops of liquid which gives off a gas to kill it
>Put in some drops
>Butterfly goes fucking ballistic
>Thrashes about desperately clawing at glass to escape
>Slowly succumbs to a painful death
>Entire class' face when
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 487x639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 487x639
>>2017938
Mfw
>>
>>2017941

why is that 100 percent spot on, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 295x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 295x302
>>2017941
I want to spill my beans all over her face.
>>
>>2017931

I can see why lmao
>>
>>2017929

It's unfortunate, but that's the way the news goes.
>>
>>2017960
Joey you little savage man
>>
>>2017938
>painful death
Insects don't feel pain.
>>
>>2018026
>Insects don't feel pain.
Than why do they writhe in pain when it is hurt and you are a dumbaSS.
>>
>>2017751
Must be nice being completely disconnected from reality.
>>
>>2018049

lol I was just asking for thoughts. I guess being objective = dementia or something.
>>
>>2017938
That can't be true at all. If you're mounting butterflies or moths than the last thing you want is for the insect to thrash about and therefore damage itself, thus ruining the specimen. The curater must have been incompetant and not used the right kind of poison or you fucked up and didn't put enough in. Should have froze them though.
>Slowly succumbs to a painful death
Try putting a live insect in a closed jar. They'll try to get out regardless of whether there is poison in there or not.
>>2017921
Insects are cold blooded which means that as the surrounding temperature decreases, they essentially go into hibernation. Doesn't help the cockroach when it's warmed up again though.
>>
>>2018070
>That can't be true at all
it sounds like they were using alcohol maybe.

that stuff takes forever to kill and causes a great deal of stress on the animal.
>>
>>2018036
>Than why do they writhe in pain when it is hurt and you are a dumbaSS.
funny, most kids understand this sooner.

they don't writhe in pain, they're programmed to writhe when injured. Because often enough writhing around will let an animal escape an injurious situation, and animals that writhe when injured are more likely to survive and reproduce than those that don't.

you need to think about why ANYTHING does ANYTHING. Usually you'll find the behavior didn't evolve for amusement of humans.
>>
>>2018067
being objective is usually equated with autism here.

/sci/ is better in that regard but they have no respect for biology because they don't actually understand it. It's too complex for hard science types.
>>
File: myheadisfallingoffletsfuck.png (144 KB, 294x607) Image search: [Google]
myheadisfallingoffletsfuck.png
144 KB, 294x607
>>2017751
>tfw I love insects so much that entomology is something I absorb without even trying.

This shit makes me feel so distressed and disturbed, even if I know it's just me being overly caring. It sucks loving something which so many people literally walk all over all the time.
>>
As a mycologist, I hope that bioethics doesn't become a thing so I can still experiment on bugs and small mammals with cordyceps in my professional career.
>>
File: Ants-milk-Aphids.jpg (424 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
Ants-milk-Aphids.jpg
424 KB, 1100x733
>>2018367
Isn't entomology mainly about a) nailing insects onto boards and calling it a "collection", and b) conducting experiments on them(which ultimately kills them) and calling it "practical entomology"?

How can you like entomology if you actually care about their lives?

Not judging or claiming a high ground, just asking.
>>
>>2018885

bugs aren't people
>>
>>2018885
I'm not an entomologist, but I expect it's a lot like any other descriptive science. (aka "Stamp Collecting")

you go to school for a few years where you learn a lot of shit that has nothing to do with your field of interest, and a tiny bit of very broad, very shallow information about what you're actually studying for. You'll probably spend some time teaching classes so your professor can fly off to Venezuela and study carob-colored shit beetles or some such. If you kiss enough ass and polish enough brass he might choose you to co-author a paper or two, and then you're golden.

After that you might do a grossly underpaid internship, or even crank out a doctoral thesis if you're a real maniac.

Eventually someone might agree to pay you minimum wage or less to actually study an organism or two. You need to pick some creature so obscure nobody else is already working on it, but interesting enough that people will notice you and offer you more jobs.

Once you've picked a bug, you begin by reading. You read everything ever written about the stupid animal. If you picked correctly this shouldn't take more than a couple days. Next you go out in the field and collect a couple of the unlucky saps. You'll notice that bugs from different areas are a bit different in form, and this is where the real work begins. You probably have a new species or two on your hands, bugs are particularly poorly catalogued. Or maybe you've just found reason to change the last poor schmuck's understanding of the relationships of said bugs, which could be a problem since he's probably the only expert on the subject in the world and isn't going to like you reducing his life's work to a footnote in some study somewhere. You'll need his help either way.

so you begin corresponding with said schmuck, hoping to learn everything he knows. You put up with exhaustive tales of his travels to borneo and the hooker he spent the month with in mexico that one time. Eventually your patience pays off
>>
>>2018897
>cont.
You finally realize the dude either never noticed the differences you saw or perhaps noticed them and didn't care. Either way, you're in business.

next you spend a few billion hours with a binocular microscope, taking pictures of parts the bug usually prefers to keep private. These parts need to be compared to the various holotypes of the species which are invariably kept in four different museums in entirely different parts of the globe, for no real obvious reason. You begin corresponding with the various curators of those museums, all of whom are far too busy to help you. They pass your request off to an underling, usually named Scott. Scott has been waiting 15 years now for his boss to die so he can be in charge. But Scott needs connections in academia as much as you do, so he does you the favor. He wrangles your bugs from the hallowed crypts of the museum and photographs their floppy bits for you. By the time this is done you've spent several years eating ramen noodles and bad beer. You've lost 50 lbs and are beginning to question your life choices.

But onward! I'll skip the boring parts where you write a computer program to place your new species in the anals of existing knowledge. Or where you write up the last five years of your life into a shockingly short three page paper, one full page of which is just citations.

You submit your work to your professor, who tells you to redo it completely to reflect his views. This takes a year and a half. Eventually he ok's it. He sticks his name on it, you pay $6000 you got by selling a kidney to get it formatted and published, and viola! you're an entomologist.

almost. You actually have to keep right on doing that stuff until one day you either write a book or your professor dies and the university offers you his job at half his pay. But only if you can actually get along with your colleagues that long, they want his job too but you can't kill them. Whatever.
>>
>>2018897
>>2018902

This. OP here, thanks for sharing. This was part of my consideration to change majors from bio, albeit I couldn't see as far down the road as you. Just couldn't see myself working in a lab all my life.
>>
>>2018885

Yes. 100% of ento is collecting and killing insects.

"Oh my, a new species!"...."Awesome, lets kill it and have a look up close".
>>
>>2018897
>>2018902
This is beautiful and applies not just to entomology, but to all field biology.

You forgot one thing though.

While doing your fieldwork you encounter Crazy Joe. Crazy Joe (name may not be Joe, but will always be monosyllabic for some reason) is a legend in your field. He doesn't have a secure position at any academic institution, but seems to scrape together funding by sheer willpower and testicular fortitude. Crazy Joe will tell you your work seems cool and he'd like to see your field site.

Once there his field skills will make you feel like a complete idiot and he will discover somewhere between 2 and 47 utterly astonishing things and manage to sufficiently document all of them. You can't jealously kick him out because not only do you now desperately need the data he's collected, he's a charming motherfucker and has totally won over all of your field assistants.

Eventually he leaves and you heave a sigh of relief and thank God he's gone. Your professor calls you a lucky SOB for getting Crazy Joe's help. When you present, the members of your committee who only do modelling instead of fieldwork have no idea who Crazy Joe is and dismiss all of the world-shaking data he produced because he doesn't have an advanced degree.

Your professor is off hungover and misses the meeting and doesn't help. Crazy Joe doesn't respond to your desperate email asking for his help with presenting because he's either walked off into the jungle by himself (again) or is off leading an expensive tour.

You have to cut all that crazy awesome stuff from your work. One year later Crazy Joe publishes a very unorganized version of it in a minor journal because he's decided you must not have been interested in it after all.
>>
>>2019364
lol
in my field he's crazy Bob.
aka Uncle Bob. Dr. Bakker to the uninitiated.

I also forgot the part where you enthusiastically mention your latest find to a colleague at a symposium and then find out a year later he accidentally published it with an adequate description in his broad work on the taxon based entirely on your verbal description of two and a half of the diagnostic features. Or when five minutes before you're ready to publish, some snot-nosed doctoral student accidentally publishes something exactly like what you've been working on for three years in his thesis, and then never bothers to follow up with a formal description in the literature. Or when you've thought up a name for your beast and let it slip and suddenly someone else has poached your perfect name and used it on a fungus from Zaire so you end up naming your find Spongbobia patricicus instead.

Seriously kids, don't get into field work unless you're a masochist with a penchant for poverty and obscure organisms. If you don't absolutely love studying and classifying critters, this isn't the game for you.
>>
I wouldn't mind building one of those myself. Maybe I'll try to. I have relatively little experience working with insects, but I get a kick out of building cool shit.
>>
>>2018885
That's true. What I meant was more that I've learnt a lot about anatomy, behaviour, etc.

Insect collections upset me too, so I probably won't be a real entomologist. I'd like to keep some bees some day, though.
>>
>>2017751
FAKE. Thats not the same roach as the start. He uses cut scenes and glue.
>>
>>2019437
So what would you recommend for someone who wants to get into genetic engineering and cloning?

I wanna fulfill my spergy autism desire to clone obscure recently extinct animals, most of which are insectcs and create a turkeyraptor
>>
>>2019731

Glue? Yes. Cutscenes? Please elaborate.
>>
>>2019880
hes saying he fucked it up killed the roach then got another and he cut it to make it look like he did it in one roach
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.