[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generally speaking, how safe is it to put a 150 gallon aquarium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 874n-cichlids-ba3Hscc.jpg (286 KB, 910x748) Image search: [Google]
874n-cichlids-ba3Hscc.jpg
286 KB, 910x748
Generally speaking, how safe is it to put a 150 gallon aquarium in a 2nd floor bedroom?
>>
Depends on how sturdy the house is and the region.
Generally, it isnt.
>>
>>2016113
it's fine.

Most houses in 1st world countries are built to support a king sized waterbed or better.

if you're worried, just put it next to a load-bearing wall. I'd be pretty comfy putting anything up to about 500g on my second or third floors. I'd probably put a 1000g if it has a big enough footprint and goes right next to an exterior wall.
>>
File: 1430723800436.png (513 KB, 600x782) Image search: [Google]
1430723800436.png
513 KB, 600x782
>>2016146
1000 gallon tank upstairs

That's over 8,000 pounds.
>>
>>2016168
over 10,000 lbs if you're doing saltwater. All that rock and glass weights more than water.

modern floors can easily handle that so long as it's spread out across several joists.
>>
>>2016172
You are nuts.
>>
>>2016175
no, I've done it before

I currently have a 100g system not near any load-bearing walls on the second floor of my house. (the main floor, but it's the same as a 2nd floor because I have a basement.)

I used to have a 1000g saltwater cube in the middle of my basement, I had it there for about a decade. That floor is built exactly the same as my upper floors.

it's fine, newish floors are way stronger than people think.
>>
>>2016113

If the house isn't 30 years old, and you make sure it's laying opposite the floor beams (so the weight is divided across 5 beams instead of 2) ... it won't crash through the floor. But, hell, I got a 30g tank on my 1st floor on a slab basement and it still worries me. If that think tipped or broke open somehow, it'd cost thousands of dollars because it'd go under the wall and into the kitchen, under the cabinets - basically it'd smell like a sewer unless all the cabinets were pulled out and cleaned underneath ... what a nightmare. It flooding TWO floors would be even worse.

Anyway, point being, shit happens. But the floor, if done right, SHOULD hold the weight. Just keep in mind where the beams are and keep other super heavy stuff off them.
>>
>>2016184
>I have put a 1000 gallon tank in my upstairs bedroom

No you have not.

The average home floor is rated at 40 pounds of pressure per square foot. If you had something like that upstairs your house would be fucked.
>>
>>2016222
>The average home floor is rated at 40 pounds of pressure per square foot.
lol

if that were true nobody would have a fishtank over 30g.
>>
>>2016222
also, just for the record, the average person puts three times that much pressure on a floor just standing around.

unless you're counting the whole floor, then your claim becomes even more ridiculous since it says the larger the floor span the more weight it can take. The exact opposite of reality.
>>
>>2016231
>the average person puts three times that much pressure on a floor just standing around.

The average 4channer would be putting six times that much pressure on the floor just standing around.
>>
>>2016222
Are you completely retarded?
By what you're saying someone would smash through the floor just by standing on it.
>>
>>2016262
I'm guessing his stat applies to the floor as a whole.

for example, my basement floor measures about 20'X60' for a total area of 1200 square feet. At 40lbs/foot, that means my basement floor could hold about 48,000 lbs.

this is about 4 times what my 1000g tank actually weighs. So I could according to that measure put 4 1000 gallon tanks on my basement floor. Which may actually be true.

but we'd need to know what the "average" floor size is, since floors aren't actually built to some arbitrary lbs/foot standard. Larger floors in general will hold less weight. It also depends a lot on the materials and type of construction.
>>
File: 132212892493.gif (58 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
132212892493.gif
58 KB, 400x400
I was interested in this thread because I too was planning on upgrading my tank to a bigger one, but fuck, you autists can't even use the metric system.

Fuck you and your shitty calculations. I bet you live in wooden houses too. Hope the hurricane or tornadoes take it.
>>
>>2016359
Don't use a site made by an American full of Americans
>>
>>2016359
Maybe you should learn to math faggot
>>
>>2016359
so tell us how many litters in your tank and what your Haus is made of and we'll do the converting for you.

We liberated your country, we don't mind doing math for you too.
>>
>be me as a child
>live in apartment
>middle of the night
>why do I hear running water?
>go into living room
>mist spraying in my face
>turn on light
>water is steadily pouring out of the ceiling fan
>ceiling fan is on and spraying water all over the room
>it's not even raining outside
>wtf

I didn't even know my upstairs neighbor had a fishtank, much less consider the possibility it may one day randomly spring a leak. Make sure there's nothing important in the room directly below any tank if you put it above ground level, just in case.
>>
File: 13_1.gif (494 KB, 260x135) Image search: [Google]
13_1.gif
494 KB, 260x135
>>2016362
>Don't use a site made by an American full of Americans
Not anymore, it isn't. Times have changed. Your reign of power has ended!
http://www.geek.com/news/4chan-sold-to-the-creator-of-2chan-the-japanese-4chan-1634578/
>>2016364
Or maybe y'all should learn how to use the metric system, like the rest of the world. What do you have against perfectly reasonable units for measuring things?
>>2016369
Why are you so nice? I feel only anger and hurt! How dare you being constructive when I'm raging and shitposting!? I don't deserve it!
Anyway, I wanted at least a 200 liter one, maybe even 250. I think the floor itself is made out of concrete, but there is a layer of laminated wood flooring on top of it.
>>
>>2016377
>Not anymore, it isn't. Times have changed. Your reign of power has ended!
That doesn't make it any less of a site made my an American full of Americans. The only difference is in who owns it now.
>>
>>2016377
a poured concrete floor with rebar should easily hold up to 20000 ltr.
250 is well within spec.
>>
>>2016377
Do not use a site made by an American full of Americans you kek. Math isn't hard.
>>
On a different note: What type of glass for aquariums is the absolute best?
>>
>>2016377
>250L
That's fine pretty much wherever you put it. Though, make sure you are close to a source of water to lessen the chance of spilling some during a water change.
Also, make sure the stand has a solid flat contact with the floor and is not resting on little "feet". That can dent/scratch your laminate.
>>
File: 1449476305370.jpg (22 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1449476305370.jpg
22 KB, 300x400
go for it, OP
>>
>>2016451
low iron glass for best viscosity. It's several times more expensive than normal glass though.
>>
>>2016222
s-so you mean a human standing still is to much anon?
>>
File: mistake.jpg (152 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
mistake.jpg
152 KB, 640x720
tfw my entire house is made out on concrete and I can put a fish tank wherever I want.
>>
>>2016113
I wouldn't do it.
>>
>>2016359
>An objectively inferior measuring system using base 10 rather than base 12 has taken over most of the world
And people still take the masses seriously.
>>
I am high as fuck right now and now I am very concerned for my house's structural integrity

I am currently trying to weigh everything on my house's floors and it is fucking mind boggling
>>
>>2017645
Put your ear to the ground, man. Listen to what the carpet has to say.
>>
>>2017562
>but da imewiaw system is haaawd!!!!

To be fair it is confusing as fuck when you've only been taught base 10 all your life.
>>
>>2017788
>Listen to what the carpet has to say.
But the cats and dogs have all surf wiped their asses on that very carpet, NASTY.
>>
>>2016113
Make sure the area is perfectly level and the weight is distributed over a bigger area. Don't reuse tanks unless you add extra sealant. If you know what you are doing you should be safe, if you aren't confident in your skill dont do it.
>>
>>2016113
i have one upstairs in a re purposed built in wardrobe
>>
>>2016113
I wouldn't do it either. Take one gallon of water and pour it on the floor. Watch how far it goes. Then imagine 150 times that amount.
>>
>>2016113
generally speaking op its fine (qualified builder) as long as your house was built to code its will handle it no problem. the only thing is if the floor is springy i.e has movement of more than a couple of mm (not sure in imperial less than 1/4 inch) than you will have major issues. but just try it out and make sure you use expandable film between the floor and the tank stand and then bed the tank on a layer of 1/4-1/2 thick polystyrene between the tank and the stand and you will be fine. i have had a 240 gall on my 2nd story it was fine it was just a bitch to move and to service i had it upstairs for years but it is much better down where i had for the last few years till i got rid of it. only from a service aspect of course
>>
>>2016222
>The average home floor is rated at 40 pounds of pressure per square foot.

How retarded are you?
Atmospheric pressure is 15 pounds PER SQUARE INCH
>>
>>2016269
>So I could according to that measure put 4 1000 gallon tanks on my basement floor

You cannot possibly be this fucking stupid.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.