[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I could use some advice. 2 weeks ago we took my little buddy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20150531_114600389.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150531_114600389.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
I could use some advice. 2 weeks ago we took my little buddy to the vet because he was breathing hard. He weighed 5lbs when we brought him in. They drained 3lbs of water from him and told us he has severe heart disease. It cost us $1800 plus $500 for the medicine. We have to give him 3 pills 2 times a day. It is difficult to give him the pills and he hates it. The doctor says he would have 3 months to live but his breathing is getting worse. My family said that I should be the one to make decisions regarding him because I am the closest to him. What should I do?
>>
File: IMG_20150125_174003581~2~2.jpg (338 KB, 1416x1339) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150125_174003581~2~2.jpg
338 KB, 1416x1339
>>
File: Miko.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
Miko.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>
The fluid will vontinue to fill his body and this will cause breathing problems heart doesnt pump fast enough.

If fluid is not removed again. He will no longer beable to move and eventually stop breathing lungs are too much work for body use.

My grandfather let him "sleep in" when fluid removal was too often (heart weak) i think you will notice when its time.

I wish you prosperity
>>
>>2011777

Three months to live means things are very, very severe. I'm sorry to say that your friend is dying. Try to make him comfortable but be prepared that you will want to put him down. The heavy breathing is from fluid pressure build up making it hard to breathe. If he is not put down he will die of suffocation. He will not make it much longer. Be his friend, take videos and make memories, then let him go.
>>
:(
Put him down soon and save yourself 3 months of sadness. Don't make your friend suffer. It is the course that nature just happened to take. Be strong, OP.
>>
Three months is going to be long and hard for your kitty OP. I would say, give her a day or so of extreme lovings, all the kitty treats she loves and take her in so they can at least let her go in some comfort.
>>
Fuck Anon, is it dilated cardiomyopathy? That sounds exactly like what happened to my little guy several years ago. He was only 5 and died 2 weeks after being diagnosed despite the medication.

If you haven't already, try getting some Pill Pockets, or wrapping them in cheese, or hidden in a little wad of tuna. My old girl would eat her blood pressure meds right off the plate if it was in tuna. It won't help with your decision but at least it might help make the pilling process easier.

...I'm sorry. There's no "right" decision here, all your options are shit. You clearly care for your cat and I wish I could tell you definitively that one call is better than another. But as someone who went through something very similar, if I was in your shoes... I would search around and see if any vets in my area did home euthanasias. This is a service some vets are starting to offer clients these days, since that way they can die in a place that's familiar and safe to them. I wouldn't want to wait and worry for weeks again, and watch him decline. It's not a good way to remember any member of your family, human or animal.

Miko is a handsome guy. I wish you both luck.
>>
File: IMG_20151205_170828689.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_170828689.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>2012026
>>2011973
>>2011963
>>2011899
>>2011873
Thank you all for your replies. His health is deteriorating rapidly and I'll have to have him put down. This will be the first time I've mourned for something so close to me. Wouldn't mind some advice on how to handle it.
>>2011777
Also nice trips
>>
New cat immediately. It wont kill the pain but you'll have a demanding, soft, fuzzy thing there to distract you and who will either do stupid cat things around you or curl up with you when you feel like crap.
>>
>>2011777
He looks like a great cat.

>>2012031
I'm sorry to hear that, but yes that is probably for the best.
You did everything you could for him, OP.

>This will be the first time I've mourned for something so close to me. Wouldn't mind some advice on how to handle it.

Well, you can check these two threads >>2009392 >>2011324
>>
>>2012031
>Wouldn't mind some advice on how to handle it.

Either get a new cat ASAP or just remember the times you had with him. You're going to feel sad, that's a part of life.

I really feel for you though. I remember when my 21 YO cat died. I didn't have the funds to put her down so I had to watch her suffer and die for hours. It felt so wrong. At least you can make it peaceful for your little one.

Fuck, tearing up. I'm so sorry anon.
>>
>>2012031
Don't be shocked if he dies before you put him down.

Mine died the morning he was going to be put down.
>>
>>2012097
>>2013378
>new cat

Is this really a good idea?
>>
>>2012031
OP, this >>2012097
>>2013401
Like it was meant to be.
>>2013582
Yes. Distraction will help the passage of time. Time will help you heal. You will find happiness in a new friend. Remember pets are only temporary and we have to move on, they help us through phases of our lives, and just like you go through phases, you will go through different animals in life. Think of this as a good thing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.