[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/ could you please settle this for me and my friend.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11 KB, 480x360
Hey /an/ could you please settle this for me and my friend.

The biggest male gorilla ever vs the biggest polar bear ever. Who wins?

I've used forums but most of the responses are along the lines of "I'm a gorilla and have killed 9 polar bears"

Please help xoxoxoxo
>>
>>2002858
Yes
>>
>>2002858
brock lesnar
>>
>>2002858
The bear.In a single swipe. The bear is bigger,stronger,more durable,more skilled at fighting and has claws.
>>
Bear, is your only exposure to gorillas King Kong?
>>
>>2002858
Depends where the battle takes place.
If it's in polar bear territory, the gorilla would probably freeze to death in minutes.
If it's in the Congo the bear would overheat with just the slightest exertion.
>>
>>2002930
Let's say, it happened in outer space. Which one will win?
>>
This is how gorillas fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDYyv-iLmRY
This is how bears fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO_LzNeqps

You are basically asking who would win between a jock and a sumo wrestler with sharper teeth and claws.
>>
After reading this thread I couldn't believe that a Gorilla would be so inferiour at first. But after a bit of research there is no doubt that a polar bear would fucking wreck a Gorilla (of any subspecies). The average adult male polar bear (Ursus maritimus) weighs around 350-700 kg with a length of 2.4 - 3 m while the average adult male eastern lowland gorilla (Gorilla beringei graueri, which are considered the largest of any gorilla subspecies) weighs around 163 kg and with a height of 1.69m. You see: there would be no comparison between these two, the polar bear is just out of the gorillas league. But I think you can't really compare these species solely because of the fact that the polar bear is a mostly maritime creature. Maritime creatures are always bigger than any land living species. This is just as retarded as comparing a blue whale and an elephant and thinking about which one is heavier.

A more interesting fight would be that of a gorilla vs a brown bear (Ursus arctos). With brown bears you would have a more reasonable opponents since an adult male brown bear can weigh 55 - 360kg depending on population.

So now that we have a better opponent that fights in the same weight division I would go for the gorilla as being the winner of a fight.

The fighting scenes that this friend showed us
>>2002939 are nowhere serious fights but more playing around with each other. If you look at an adult male Gorilla doing serious business like defending his females or fighting for a better rank in his family than you can see what a real fight looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0z1CT-nR8 (though this fight is not serious at all but shows good the way gorillas fight) You can see that when gorillas make contact they constantly try to hit their opponent and make as much damage as possible using their fists and teeth.

cont.
>>
With bears I have the feeling that they are more "lazy" fighters. They try to bite their opponent and just hold on to them as long as possible while not doing really anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6r81UOzIHg

This might be okay for fights between bears but when there is another opponent the bear would be pretty much fucked.

I imagine a fight between a bear and a gorilla like this: they both attack and the bear tries to bite the gorilla. The gorilla goes in for a punch and the bear gets the gorillas fist/arm. The gorilla would panic and try to free itself without any success. With the gorilla and the bear being locked in place and the bear being basically disabled because of its own fighting technique the gorilla would just punch the shit out of the bear until it gets unconscious or killed.
>>
>>2002858
Hmmmm... 400~ lb Gorilla vs 900~ lb Polar bear.
>>
>>2002858
one is a predator, the other is prey.

in fights between predator and prey the prey generally dies.
>>
>>2002931

both of them suffocate. Shit nigga, did you not pay attention in science class?
>>
>>2002858

I don't think even a gorilla with a human brain can kill a polar bear.

Unless you have the gorilla some sort of weapon.

What are the gorilla's chances if he had like an iron spear and a shield?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h8ef3eKiRI

Bears of any size and breed will take out any other land mammal of any size. And you know why? Because they are natures masters of wrestling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h8ef3eKiRI Just look at the zone control in that video!
>>
The bear would obliterate the gorilla just about instantly, with zero chance for the gorilla to win.

>>2003066
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

>>2003746
>Bears of any size and breed will take out any other land mammal of any size.

Thats not even remotely true. Bears are pretty top tier for fighting though.

>>2003122
>What are the gorilla's chances if he had like an iron spear and a shield?
Not any better, since it wouldn't be able to use them.
>>
If I remember correctly, the Romans had to stop bringing bears to the Colosseum because they just killed everything and it wasn't even fun any more because the outcome was never in doubt.
>>
>>2003115
kek
>>
I think the bear wins but the gorilla may be just as strong

Primates are evolved to have awesome pull and grip strength, a bear is just a large dog
>>
The gorrilla would bleed out the second it got swiped in a vital place because it's circulatory system is closer to the surface of the skin.
Bears have lots of flabby loose skin so this sort of thing doesn't happen to them really.
It would be like dragging a fork across the surface of a plump grape vs a raisin
>>
File: kodiak-brown-bear.jpg (170 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
kodiak-brown-bear.jpg
170 KB, 500x375
ENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHH, HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED THIS THREAD! FUCK, THEY SHOULD JUST PIN THIS SO NO MORE WILL EVER BE MADE. COMPARING A GORILLA AND A BEAR IS FUCKING STUPID.

Bear top feats: bone density 8-12 times that of a human depending on species, muscles 8 - 10 times as dense as a humans, meaning that every pound of muscle puts out up to 10 times the force. Insane bite force, inb4 "B-BUT MUH FUGGIN 1600 PSI GORILLA BITE". That doesn't matter as it doesn't have the teeth or mouth structure to use it (it couldn't bite anything on a grizzly except for the paw and snout, the paw could crack its skull open with a swing and the snout is 4 inches away from a REAL predators mouth. The grizzly also have more total force.

top end size: 2500 lb weight and 14 feet in height.

Durability feats include charging while having been shot enough to turn a gorilla into hamburger. Deflecting big bore rifles and 12 gauge slugs off of its skull.

"t the turn of the last Century a Grizzly Bear was terrorizing the Wyoming Territory. The Territorial Government posted a $10,000. in gold reward on this bear. Many hunters went after the bear for the reward and many hunters never returned. Years later a rusted rifle or belt buckle would be found. Wonder what happened to the hunters???

When the bear was finally killed (after killing the hunter’s dozen well-trained hunting dogs and taking at least three magazines from a .30-40 Krag), over a hundred rifle rounds were found in the bear’s body. None had killed the bear. The biggest surprise was discovered when the bear’s skull was opened. There were five old handgun rounds of diverse calibers lodged in the bear’s brain. These had been fired up from under the bear and none of these medium and large bore revolver bullets had succeeded in killing the bear."
>>
>>2003861
"More than a 100 rifle bullets were found in the bear's body, all diverse calibers. Some high velocity rounds had shredded vertabras but the wounds had healed. One of the bear's eyes was gone as a bullet entered the eye and exited taking out the opposite jaw hinge. Its jaw was just hinged on one side. This too had healed. The real surprise was when they looked at the brain. Five revolver bullets, again diverse calibers were lodged in the bear's brain. These had been fired up from the bottom of the bear's head. I'll let you guess what the fate was of those firing these handgun rounds. " And if those sound like crazy stories the body was later donated to a museum which still has the bones as proof. Gorrilas have been hunted with simple spears by europeans for like 600 years.

Other feats of durrabillty against other animals include 300 pound bears forcing a stalemate about half the time against 700 pound tigers in siberia, even when sneak atatcked.

feats of strength include 50 mph run speeds (chasing down horse and buffalo), small brown bears killing lions and tigers of equal size with a single strike in the colloseums again and again, completely caving in the skull. It got so bad they stopped bringing in brown bears. This skull cracking feat was also repeated on bulls in the early 18 and 1900's, aswell as on lions again.

Ok so i got a shit ton of feats and sources that i could use but basically
>>
>>2003862
> way stronger, as in a 300 pound bear would still be 3 times as strong at least
> Much hardier, 00 buckshot is the standard for bushmeat hunters and a record 6'4 gorrila was killed with one shot to the chest. Dogs and spears have also been used to great effect for centuries. Meanwhile bears can deflect elephant gun rounds off of their skull, charge with 2 shattered shoulders (i can testify to this), take swipes that would crush a steers skull or snap the bulls neck, and generally survive dumb shit.
>Natural weapons made to kill instead of basic defense teeth
>Fight like a predator, gorrilas are used to social fighitng in which they only try to assert dominance and not kill the other
>>
>>2003863
>>2003862
>>2003861
Sauce on that bear? Never heard of it and I love reading about man eaters...
>>
>>2003864
it might take some searching but look up the last bear of wyoming
>>
File: 571200490.jpg (42 KB, 809x695) Image search: [Google]
571200490.jpg
42 KB, 809x695
>>2003819
>a bear is just large dog
>>
>>2003756
Tigers hunt bears
>>
>>2003867
The worlds largest tigers, weighing in at 700 pounds, MAY IF INCREDIBLY DESPERATE, ambush a bear less than half its size by jumping on the top and bitting the neck. If it cant get the jump it normally gets fucked up and both animals call a draw and run
>>
>>2002858
inb4 gorrilas can deadlift 10000 pounds guis

https://www.quora.com/How-much-can-a-silverback-gorilla-bench-press

A HIGHLY TRAINED GORRILA, WOULD ONLY BE TWICE AS STRONG AS A HIGHLY TRAINED MAN, AT A LIFT WHERE IT EXCELLS BECAUSE OF BODY PROPORTIONS. a human could over head press more, squat more, and bench more because gorrilas have lanklet arms

i need to spell check my post but FUCK YOU FOR THIS SHITTY GODDAMN THREAD, im gonna go to bed

https://www.quora.com/How-much-can-a-silverback-gorilla-bench-press
>>
>>2003746
I don't think even the largest polar bear could take out a hippo or elephant

They struggle to kill walruses you know
>>
>>2003966
Walruses can be like 5000 Pounds or something with meter long tusks and very protected organs
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.