[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is with my Betta? ive owned a few in the past, and i got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: R0003159.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1101) Image search: [Google]
R0003159.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1101
What is with my Betta?

ive owned a few in the past, and i got Morgoth here just a few days ago, whenever i get near the glass he flares up and puffs his face out at me
>>
File: R0003158.jpg (1 MB, 1200x887) Image search: [Google]
R0003158.jpg
1 MB, 1200x887
>>1994810
another photo
>>
>>1994810
Your dude is just super aggressive. It's rare, but betas can sometimes be aggressive against non-betas and even their owners. He may warm up to you in time, but either way I woudn't stick your fingers in there without removing him first just in case.
>>
Since it's still so recent, it could just be stress from a new environment. The longer you hang around, the more he'll realize you aren't a threat (and likely mean good) so he'll settle down.
>>
>>1994823
>>1994828
yeah i guess that can make sense

but i have another theory, could it be a filter that is too large for the tank?

Pic related is the 3 gallon tank i have him in, i recently got rid of my old 15 gallon one and wanted to just keep it simple and go smaller

only thing is i kept my whisper 10-15 gal. filter for a 3 gallon filter, could all that waterflow be tiring/frustrating him?
>>
>1994831
Probably not. You're supposed to over-filter a tank because filter capacities are always over-stated or run on the lightest-living fish around. Double your tank size is a good idea in general, especially as you can stick a sponge over the intake if the flow is ever a problem.

I bet he'd love to be back in a 5 gallon at least, though. You can even keep the old filter if you do that! In the meantime you can also rearrange the tank a little to give more mid-ground and front hiding places to see if that helps. Good job on keeping things heated, BTW. Most people forget that's important with betas.
>>
My betta used to do that because i kept doing positive reinforcement when he flared. Whenever he flared, i gave him food, so now he flares every time i come near the tank.

I don't think it is because of stress. its just a personality.
>>
>>1994831
High flow is stressful for bettas.

The way I slowed down the flow for my filter is i took out the fan thing and cut the blades shorter with a wire cutter. It is easy and cheap to get replacement parts if i decided to go back to the fast flow.
>>
>>1994891
thanks a ton

i went down in size because i live in an apartment and it was a real struggle for me to keep it in tip top shape for over 27 mollies, so a long while back i gave those to some great people, and went down in size

and yeah, i remembered how much bettas love warm water, and little hiding places, so i made sure he has enough privacy
>>
>>1994810
its gay
>>
>>1994810
you named it Morgoth, what did you expect
>>
>>1995333
lol good point, +1 for you for knowing the reference

it was a tough choice between that or Gothmog/Feanor/Fingolfin
>>
>>1994898
Or you could just shove a sponge or some filter floss into the output of the filter.
>>
My beta likes to fight my fingers when I put them in the tank. I flick him on the side and pinch his fins to simulate real fights (mental stimulation)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.