[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Handling winter with new dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (89 KB, 1181x329) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89 KB, 1181x329
My puppy is a little over 7 months now, and I don't want to buy him a coat and have him grow out of it, so I'd prefer to wait until he's at least ten months (the low end of his growth finalization) old.

However, we live in Denver, and our winters can be unpredictable. Two years ago/last year we had a few weeks where it was in the negative 20s, but the only time I remember it reaching the negatives before then was in...2007? Usually our winters hover around 20 degrees. Then we always have a good amount of days in February where it gets to 70. You get where I'm going with this...?

My point is, when will be a good time to buy my dog a coat, and what kind? I was thinking something like pic related. He's a retriever mix with a double coat, so should I get something lighter, or even not anything at all?

I'm also concerned about what the best brands/types of booties are since we live in an apartment and he WILL have to walk regularly on salted/de-iced pavement, guaranteed. I've heard those rubber booties that look like water balloons are good because they allow the dog to feel the ground and he won't hate them as much, but I'm concerned about them freezing to the ground if it gets to be like last winter.
>>
what type of dog is it? most don't need a coat unless you're in the arctic.
>>
>>1992479
Golden retriever mix, but he's sort of small for his age--45 pounds at 7 months. Wondering if his size will factor into his ability to keep warm.
>>
I use the rubber booties like you mentioned, they work great, just make sure you keep his nails short. As far as the coat, if he has a double coat then he probably doesn't need it. For my dog, anything over 20°F she still gets overheated to her usual degree from play. 20°F-0°F I try to limit her to around 30 min outside, and below 0°F I limit her to just elimination walks.
>>
>>1992481
Just put a blanket over him and use s belt to sucure it over his midsection and ruck the front part under his collar tightly
>>
>>1992489
Tuck the front part*
>>
You need zero coats ever, just don't leave him outside for hours. At least wait until he is a year since it's a purely wardrobe enhancement.
>>
You probably won't need a coat. It gets to like -30 Celsius here in winter and my golden doesn't mind at all. He loves it actually and like to bury himself in snowbanks. He has only experienced one winter btw, and he was around 4-5 months and was fine.

I do worry about ice and salt in his paws so he wears the rubber boots though.
>>
>>1992539
Not OP, but, even golden puppies? My pup's hairs are clearly growing compared to a month ago, but it's still nothing compared to an adult golden I know. Plus, her little belly's still furless. 2cute
>>
>>1992563
Oh uh, mine's four months old right now.
>>
>>1992539
>I do worry about ice and salt in his paws so he wears the rubber boots though.
The little balloony ones?

>>1992528
>You need zero coats ever, just don't leave him outside for hours
But remember, we live in an apartment and he's a golden mix. On days when he's not at puppy daycare, the ideal amount of time for his walk is an hour to keep him well-mannered. He won't need anything at all?
>>
>>1992575

An hour of activity? Absolutely fine, he will keep himself perfectly warm. The problem would be if you left him sitting out in that weather for hours. During his walk his metabolism is more than capable of keeping him warm.

In fact when he's on a brisk walk the coat runs the serious risk of making him colder by trapping heat to much heat, causing sweat, and then causing that sweat to get too cold and chill the dog.

Coats aren't really necessary but in very rare instances. Dogs are born in their own coats.
>>
>>1992596
Dogs don't sweat of idiot.

Disregard whatever this moron says, he obviously is retarded.

Op I live a few hours from Denver. I would have a sweater handy for cold snaps and windy weather. Just get your pup a cheap sweater from petco. It will cost you 20-25$. Cheap enough to use one winter anyhow.
>>
>>1992599
>cheap sweater from petco
eh, the pet stores near me really only sell clothes for small dogs. despite him being small for his age, he's still too big for any of those sweaters. where do you live? we lived in parker for a bit.
>>
>>1992611
Steamboat Springs.
>>
>>1992475

A golden retriever does not need a coat. The only reason you might need it is because he's a puppy.
>>
I bought one for my 11 year old dog last year when I noticed he was acting like he was cold when it got down in the 30s. I went to petsmart and a few other places but all the coats they had seemed to be more for looks that actual warmth plus they were all for small dogs. Mine is a sheperd/husky mix yes I know he shouldn't be cold but he is old and seems happier in the cold with the coat. Anyway I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YCBBIQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

They only have the small versions right now but it is a real coat yet not thick or poofy. Has soem weight to it.
>>
>>1992611
You're in Denver. It's a major city. Try other pet shops. There's TONS of them. I have an autistic friend(like not even joking autistic) who can find medium dog clothes in Denver. You totally can too.
>>
>>1992563
Yeah, should be fine. My guy was like 4 months old and was perfectly fine. Especially if they're running around, they'll stay warm for sure.

>>1992575
Yeah, the balloons.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.