[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NewUber Species
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
Turns out there's a dog-wolf-coyote hybrid that's rocking shit in North America.

>http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes
>>
Yeah its been like this for awhile. My friend works up in the Adirondacks at a wolf preserve says they're all coywolves that are wild
>>
>>1989135
Wait till the furries find out
>>
>>1989135
You guys should fucking shoot the lot of them while you still can. It's only a matter of time before they turn on you.

You've been warned.
>>
>>1989135
I live in the eastern part of the province of Quebec. We have these fuckers all over the place. Small games and hares mysteriously disappeared from all the places i go hunting.
>>
North east USA here. We've had them for ages, its nothing new at all and has been going on for hundreds of years. Coydogs are also fairly common but most of the coyotes here in the east are only 60% or so coyote rather than being 50/50.
>>
>>1989144
>species exterminated due to over hunting for fur
>>1989362
where? gaspesie?
>>
>>1989376
Bas-Saint-Laurent
>>
Yeah, it's pretty fascinating how they've adapted.
>>
In Ontario we did not see these animals until the beginning of the 1900's. They are a hybrid of the eastern wolf and the coyote. They are responsible for the disappearance of the eastern wolf. I saw a god seminar on them put on by our Ministry of Natural Resources.. They are replacing the eastern wolf by breeding with them. This will lead to the extinction of the eastern wolf. They did not appear in our eastern provinces until the 1970's.
>>
Golden Gate Park in San Francisco has a pack of chest height coyote/wolfdog things.

Hide yo kids hide yo wife, them shits is huge
>>
This is amazing to me. Because out here in the west Wolves will NOT share their ranges with Coyotes. We actually have problems with coyotes moving into towns when wolves move into the area, because the wolves chase the coyotes out of their old range, so they move to the outskirts of towns and start praying on household pets.

Wolf proliferation out here has made the coyotes a HUGE pest.
>>
that article is so bad, I hate reading stories about things I actually know about from 'respectable' magazines.
>>
>>1989578
This is bullshit. The only reason why a wolf will interbreed with a coyote is if there are literally no other wolves within range and it's driven via desperation to interact with coyotes.

It's not that coyotes are coming in and stealing all the wolf wives. It's that humans are driving purebred wolves to the brink of extinction and the few true wolves left bond with coyotes rather than be forever alone.

It's the exact same thing as when a lion completely isolated from it's species breeds with a tiger who is also completely isolated from it's species to create a liger.

If you don't want anymore wolf coyotes then quit killing off the purebred wolves and allow them to interact with each other enough to establish a pack and breed among themselves.

Anyone who wants to know the truth about wolf coyote hybrids needs to watch the "Red Wolf" documentary on netflix. It's an excellent starting point.

>>1989938
Don't listen to anybody in this thread. They're all full of bullshit.
>>
>>1989938
Wolf could not find a mate and settled for a coyote instead.
>>
>>1989998
Just wow.
>>
>>1989998
>hurdurr the hunters

You're the one full of bullshit. It's not shooting them thats the problem anymore, its just that there isn't many places left for wolves to GO. You can only have so many in one place.

>It's the exact same thing as when a lion completely isolated from it's species breeds with a tiger who is also completely isolated from it's species to create a liger.
Shitty example because neither of those species have overlapping habitats and and even a moose will try to fuck a statue when it don't got sweet ass bitches around. 'Animals will try to fuck anything' aside, coyotes and wolves are close enough they can interbreed AND their mating seasons overlap. Wolves are not as monogamous as you wolfaboos like to think, and if a wolf comes across a coyote in heat or vice versa - if it doesn't end badly then they're going to bang. It has been well observed that there are male wolves who never 'form bonds' and just go around fucking bitches.
>>
>>1989998
>>1991432
Also forgot to mention that neither the gray wolf or eastern wolf is endangered, and as far as I am aware northwestern gray wolfxcoyote hybrids have never been recorded in the wild.

We already have what, five subspecies of wolves in North America? We don't have to save every single species that is barely a hair different from the rest.
>>
how come I never hear about wolf safety in regards to going into the woods. You always hear about bear safety and prevention, but never anything about wolves.

am I to take away from this that wolves really aren't all that dangerous?
because from what I always understood is bears don't really actively hunt you, they just kill you if you happen to get too close to them. but wolves are straight up predatory.
>>
>>1989938

Coyotes are in every city- small, medium, and large- and eating household pets in North America. Wolves haven't made coyotes pests, the easy availability of food in cities because dumbfucks won't secure their trash, keep their cats indoors, and provide proper security for their outdoor dogs has.
>>
>>1991758

They're not, the folklorish myth that wolves are out to get humans is a bunch of bullshit. The last wolf attack in North America was in like 2010.
>>
>>1991772
is it because they are frightened of humans or do they just not generally view us as a prey item?
>>
>>1991781
Mix of both. They're pretty shy and too busy doing their own thing deep in the wilds.
>>
>>1991789
I was also told if you ever actually see a wolf, then you are already surrounded and about to be eaten and it only exposed itself to flush you towards where the rest are hiding.
is this accurate? if you see a wolf is it time to double down and start shooting shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 249x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 249x230
>>1991811
You just have to show the wolf you are dominant
>>
>>1991811
that's raptors. wolves are just like dogs.
>>
>>1991811
No. It's really only a concern when they are approaching you or obviously acting aggressive. It's really easy to scare them off but the odds of seeing a wolf up close in the wild is already extremely slim.

As another anon mentioned, wolf attacks are extremely rare. I am not sure about else where but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

Only two in the past 60 years from wild wolves, and almost a 100 years if you don't count two inuits dying due to rabies from rabid wolves.
>>
There's next to no reason for wolves to attack humans. We're just as scary to them as they seem to us, because we're both carnivores. Eyes forward, teeth, deep growling voice, and pretty tall in stature manlets excluded.

Children maybe, if left alone.
>>
Some actual science.https://youtu.be/Nedovyuf3aM
>>
>>1989318
>implying a booming population of maneating super coyotes would not make going /out/ on the east coast infinitely more interesting
>>
>>1991811
Wolves do not eat people.
>>
I lived on Cape Cod (the coast of MA) for 5 years until recently. In addition to living on the mainland, I've spent time on the Elizabethan islands, which are a string of small islands a couple miles off shore. Out there, the coywolves are quite big and look to be 90% wolf. They swim between the islands even in winter, and so do the deer. Deer population is high out there, so the coyotes are continuing to populate quickly. I have seen as many as nine coywolves together at a time out there. They are very brave and come up to the windows, right into the yard. Have to carry a gun for safety. I've seen one jump on a 140lb buck, kill it, and drag it clear into the woods- watched from inside the house, about 12 feet away. I've heard tell of them surrounding cars and killing small dogs. The deer are plentiful, so the coyotes will breed. And eventually, the population will swing the other way.... it always happens. When deer and rabbits are scarce, they will likely become more aggressive towards people and livestock, pets. If you live in an area with coywolves, do not go outside after dark unless you have a pistol and telephone. Even in AL where the coyotes are small, it is not worth it to risk coming across a mother with hungry pups or a pack.

I highly recommend that anyone who likes hunting get a coyote permit if they are getting out of hand in your area.
>>
>>1993924
Dude, those are not coywolves, those are probably dogwolves. Coywolves ALREADY live in suburbs and shit, and have been recorded by scientists walking down the sidewalk and within five feet of people. They have this on tape. They are not aggressive towards people at all. Not only that, but coyotes are solitary creatures, not pack creatures. They only come together to breed. Once the pups are old enough the parents abandon them since they are fully capable of fending for themselves at that point.

If you don't believe me, you can watch it yourself, some of the scientific footage was put in the documentary that is mentioned here>>1989998
>>
>>1993943
They are coywolves, the same type that I watched come thru my yard on both Martha's Vineyard and mainland Cape Cod for five years. I was commenting on my experience watching them in a more isolated area, though those islands are only 3mi or so from densely populated towns. They're overpopulated on the Cape and come thru suburban areas daily. I've come home in the afternoon many times to find one passing thru my yard. One followed me down the road for about 1/8mi around dusk- thankfully a friend with a truck was nearby. Once when coming home, one came up from behind me & trotted parallel alongside me from the front to the back of the yard, no more than 16 feet from where I was standing, watching me while I walked to and unlocked my door. They're very brave and don't shy from people. The ones near my house dont shy from loud noises anymore. After the first couple times we made noise to scare them off, they learned it wasn't a threat to them. Now they just back up a couple feet, and return after a moment.

I've seen coywolves in this area packed into groups of 4 to 9, positioned with some distance between on a hillside/field. They also come to the yard in groups, and sometimes i can hear them talking to each other. Often, they're alone as well.
>>
>>1993917
Wolves can and have, son. Just like any other animal.

You think a starving wolf will neglect to eat a lost tourist because of some humanistic honor?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.