[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NEET >want to get a dog >local humane society asks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: dog-shelter.jpg (151 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
dog-shelter.jpg
151 KB, 1600x1067
>NEET
>want to get a dog
>local humane society asks way too many questions
>i have enough money to support a dog, but they still judge me
>nope, you can't have a dog
>i don't want to buy a dog from a sub-standard breeder
>don't want to spend $2,500 on a purebred puppy with all the papers either

What do I do now?
>>
Do you know why they rejected you? That might help.

You could try other shelters/rescue groups. Or look on craigslist--often times people having to give their dog away for one reason or another will advertise there. You can even find tons of "free puppy" ads from people who had accidental litters.
>>
>>1987597
Stop being a NEET
>>
>>1987597
Get a job then get a dog so you can make sure its properly cared for you lazy piece of shit
>>
When you have a job they tell you you won't give a puppy enough time, when you don't have a job they tell you you cant support a puppy.
Get a puppy from a farmer or yokel, look on Facebook groups dedicated to working dogs / dogs for sale. Gumtree, pets4homes ect.
>>
>>1987597
Don't buy a dog then. There are plenty of free dogs if you looks at the classifieds. Unwanted puppies, older dogs that the owners can't keep and won't last long in shelters, dogs with minor behaviour problems. Just scope it out.
>>
>>1987597
If you live in the US, and you don't have at least 2-3000$ disposable income saved up, then don't get a dog. Personally I think you should fix your NEET problem before anything because like it or not, it is a problem.
>>
>>1987598
>You could try other shelters/rescue groups.
this, basically. I'm not a NEET, but I am a hikikomori just the same, and I was able to find a rescue that didn't care about a home visit.

granted, it was a shitty rescue who lied about a lot of things (like that the puppy had been dewormed, vet-checked and given a good bill of health, that he'd already been microchipped and that he would be neutered before he came to me), but I got my dog nonetheless and he's great.
>>
File: 20150623_114637.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20150623_114637.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>1987597
Craigslist or another shelter. Some shelters are crazy strict, while others try to reach a certain number of adoptions per day. Depends on who runs it and how much money they have. Shelling out that much money on a purebred tho? What kind of dog do you want? :|

A shelter that is literally across the road from me rejected my bf and I because we weren't married and they worry about couples splitting up and the dog ending up in the shelter again. They also wanted all of my roommates which were 3 other people at the time to be present at the shelter and at the home visit which was nearly impossible.

A shelter 30 min away in a different city was more than happy to adopt a dog out to us as long as we didn't keep him as an outdoor dog. They were actually fucking thrilled to have us take him and paid for most of his heartworm treatment.
>>
>>1987597
>local humane society asks way too many questions
>i don't want to buy a dog from a sub-standard breeder

Craigslist dogs are exactly the same dogs that end up at the humane society a year or two later.

Get a free dog from Craigslist before the owners give it to a shelter. Win-win.
>>
>>1987615
I have $50K in savings.

I can provide financially for a dog.
>>
>>1987597

Craigslist

Alternatively, find a local kill shelter. They're a little less choosy than the humane society is.
>>
I'm always suspicious of these threads

you still haven't told us why they rejected you, anon, and they would have given you a reason . and was it just one dog you were stuck on that didn't fit your situation, or did they flat out say they wouldn't adopt out to you at all? these are important questions
>>
>>1988176
>They're a little less choosy than the humane society is
"humane society" is an unregulated term and organizations that call themselves humane societies aren't related to eachother
>>
Where the fuck you yall live

What shelter is so stingy about who adopts stray dogs? Fucking home visits? Is this a meme like penis inspections? Here as long as you pay the 70 bucks and dont say you're going to fuck it or something its yours, they're trying to get as many animals out the door as they can.
>>
>>1988471
the thing is, shelters can never please people, since theyre always either super impatient and just want whatever dog they can get for cheap or they actually want to know the dog behaviorally will fit their situation. adopting out dogs the way that the shelter you mentioned does is typicaly an extreme liability, and it's why shelters now have a bad rap for adopting out "dogs that randomly snap", because old style high kill shelters just don't give a shit and give any dog to anyone. everyone complains about shelters being choosy about who they adopt to, but if they aren't then most of their dogs would wind up being returned or put through rehoming roulette on Craigslist.
>>
>>1988471
>70 bucks
Is the dog fully vetted though? like spay/neuter, dewormed, flea control, med check, behavior check, vaccinated, stuff like that? cause those kinds of shelters are notorious for adopting out really sick or aggressive dogs and not telling the person. just all around low quality
>>
>>1988490
Yep, all that
>>
>>1988471
Yeah, here they do that for 100~150€ depending on the shelter.
>>
Lie. They're not the Irs. They're not going to call your job. Go back and say you've been hired somewhere. It's understandable why they have the rule. But too many dogs are homeless and euthanized for such strict adherence when there is an exception that will work. I don't know why they are so strict when it won't prevent you from getting a dog. You may as well not support bybs or irresponsible owners by getting one elsewhere. So just lie for the good of the dog and to save the shelter from itself.

That's what I did when a shelter got uppity about me living in a condo instead of a house despite it being a condo that is open to dogs and I own. So I just went to another and called it a house. Fuck it.
>>
>>1988167
>conveniently avoiding the "why did they reject you" question
>>
Guys he said in op that he is a NEET. He isn't currently employed, that's why they rejected him. But he has 50k in savings apparently.
>>
>>1988756
he didn't specifically say THAT was why, and he's ignored everyone asking him to specify what they said. that's pretty damn suspicious
>>
>>1988836

>NEET
>want to get a dog
>i have enough money to support a dog, but they still judge me

Probably because he expected someone around here to have some reading comprehension and is just an autistic NEET. If he had previously been running dog fighting leagues in his back yard and that was why I'd expect he would probably not have mentioned being a NEET in very literally the first line and only talked about money he has saved and his ability to afford a dog.

I mean yeah he is coming off as autistic like you'd expect of a NEET but let's not see weird dog abuser specters or whatever it is you think is very suspicious.
>>
>>1988853
he also didn't specify if it was just one dog that they said wouldn't be a fit for him and his lifestyle or if they refused any adoption to him, despite being asked more than once in this thread. avoiding questions like that is usually considered suspicious, anon. plus it could be a variety of things related to being a NEET, like not going out and exercising or socializing the dog. hell, it could be something else entirely. he gave next to no information about the situation

>stop judging~~
they're completely normal questions for this situation that he's conveniently avoiding. I don't think he's an animal abuser and I never said that. I think he's just leaving out info because it makes him seem at fault or that the shelter was justified in not adopting to him. people come here all the time for their own personal validation in irl situations. these are perfectly normal questions, stop acting like it's just being mean to the poor wronged NEET
>>
>>1988902

I wasn't trying to white knight, just asserting that it was pretty clear what he meant since he went on repeatedly and specifically about money. and I think it is generally autism and not animal malfeasance that is causing him to be a shitty op.

I think they should just give him the damn dog, I'd he has 50k and a roof over his head then it is probably better than the shelter.

I really don't care what you think of him on a personal level. I think he sounds like a fag but he may as well get another dog off death row if he's reasonably assured he can care for it.
>>
Talk to a breeder anyway, sometimes they have puppies/dogs that get returned that they will give up at a much lower cost and sometimes for free. although i will say that a breeder is going to ask you a lot of questions too if not more.
>>
>>1988911
>I think they should just give him the damn dog, I'd he has 50k and a roof over his head then it is probably better than the shelter.

except if the dog is bad for their situation then the animal just ends up back at the shelter or dumped on Craigslist. it's a big reason animal homelessness is an issue in the first place
>>
>>1992125

just shup up you fucking dickturd
>>
>>1992123
Wrong quote?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.