[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rat General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83
File: fatty.jpg (69 KB, 934x611) Image search: [Google]
fatty.jpg
69 KB, 934x611
Last one got bumped off, let's not let this one die too
>>
Ratties have the cutest yawns
>>
I've never been able to let my ratties outside, who here does it and how does it go?
>>
File: honhonhon.jpg (63 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
honhonhon.jpg
63 KB, 625x417
>>
File: h11F1162A.gif (990 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
h11F1162A.gif
990 KB, 245x184
I had to pass on getting a hairless rat this month due to living circumstances and I'm still really sad about it. Poor Pat.
>>
File: rat.jpg (45 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
rat.jpg
45 KB, 640x427
Best rat picture of all time
>>
File: halloween ratty.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
halloween ratty.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>
>>
Brought my baby to the vet tonight to put her down. She had a big tumour growing on her underside. I miss her so much. Rats are so depressing...
>>
>>1977935
I'm so sorry, it seems to hurt so much more when it's a rat you lose. Do you have another ratty still to look after?
>>
how do i know if i have a plain cold or rat respiratory? i work at a pet store and i may not have always been as careful as i should have been regarding gloves and whatnot. worries me that the rats die and all
>>
>>1977938
Yes, she has a sister. I'm too sad and unsure if I should get another rat at this point to accompany her. These two rats are my first ever. My rat that died was 2 years and 2 months old and her sister is 2 years 1 month old.
>>
any tips for a beginner (getting two rats next week from a rattery, hype af)
>>
I just noticed a lump on the belly of my rat this morning. I swear it wasn't there 2 days ago. It is huge and she has just started to bite at it (has really ripped it up in the last few hours).

The vet was able to squeeze me in today. Says she has a mammary tumor. Going to give me an estimate to remove it.

My rat is 2 years old. And is the last of 4 I had (respiratory infection got the others).

how could a Tumor grow so fast?
>>
>>1978456
They can grow very fast. I once went on a week long vacation and when I got home my girl had a surprisingly large lump on her neck. I hope your girl's surgery goes well.
>>
File: 1445047704458-1882604581.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1445047704458-1882604581.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
I've just adopted this female rat, who's only got one eye. My question is of rat should always have rat conpany? I've read about it online, but every one is different, right? She seems to be content laying around alone and getting played with whenever she's not sleeping, but I'm worried she might not be. Yes, she does get along well with others and I don't think the eye was a fighting incident. Also, should I get that checked by a vet to be sure there was nothing the store overlooked?
>>
I don't have any rats myself, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to feed a rat a whole food diet. It doesn't seem to ever get brought up. I've always heard that Oxbow is supposed to be a really good brand, but the ingredients list just seems like a bunch of cheap crap.
>>
>>1978550
I mix my own rat food. search suebee's rat food mix. you get to control the quality of the ingredients
>>
Has anyone ever fed your rats pumpkin? Did the like it? How should I go about giving it to them?
>>
I just adopted a pair of these little niglets yesterday. They seem like they were well-handled in their last home and will come inspect my hand curiously when I stick it in their cage.

Any tips for getting them to like me? And how will I know if/when they do? One of them does the teeth-grinding thing a lot - bruxing - even when nothing in particular is happening, like if he's just walking around in his cage. Is he just a jolly little shit or could this be indicative of something else?
>>
>>1979302
Give them treats when you put your hand in the cage, take them out and let them run around freely supervised (maybe in the bathroom). Then they will know that you are a source of both food and fun.

It's easy to tell when your rat likes you, they come running to the cage door when you enter the room, they keep coming back to you for safety and cuddles when you let them freeroam, they will sit still on your lap and brux contently when you stroke them. Some even groom you like they would with their own cage mates.

An easy way to tell your rat has become used to you is by simply offering your hand as a means to leave the cage. If they willingly step out onto your hand it means they fully trust you not to hurt them. (some rats never learn this)

Chattering of teeth simply shows the rats is experiencing intense emotions, it can be anything from anger, fear or joy. They also do it when fighting with a another rat or if they're scared. Normally, if they're happy and excited, their eyes will also vibrate and boggle. If he's just doing it randomly without anything to be agitated over, he's probably just very excited.
>>
>>1978514
Yes you should get your rat checked by a vet. Never trust what a pet store tells you about their health.

And, it is not safe to assume that "every one is different" when it comes to rats' social behaviors. Every effort should be given to socialize your rat and every rat should be with at least one other. Only in very rare circumstances will a rat be so aggressive that they need to be alone.

Your rat "seems content laying around alone" because she's lonely and depressed. Rats are occasionally lazy, yes, but once you see her interact with others you'll see how much she just wants to frolic and play.
>>
>>1979238
Yes they love it. Cooked or raw, the seeds are good as well. You can just mosh it up and give it to them in their bowl, or roast the seeds and use them as treats.
>>
>>1979602
Thanks for the response, I'm going to invest in a bigger cage and more furniture as of now
>>
Is this the bubonic plague general?
>>
>>1979564
Wow, thanks anon. They already do all of that except stepping freely on my hand - they come forward to sniff my fingers but don't commit. I hope they can get to that point someday, because in the meantime the backs of my hands are scratched the fuck up. They don't panic when I pick them up but they always grab on hard, like they think I'm going to drop them.

Are there any shampoos that are safe to use on rats? Ferret shampoo, maybe? Both of them have such rough fur, almost straw-like, so I thought a gentle wash might help once they're more settled in. The only rats I've seen that had coat textures like this were pretty old, but these guys are only supposed to be 1-1.5 years.
>>
>>1977925
I did when I was younger but I am too afraid of them getting parasites now. That and the sun can hurt albino rat's eyes and make them even more blind than they are already.
When I took my first rat out in the yard as a kid was mostly just scared and stuck close to me.
I put my big fat black rat out in the grass and walked a good distance away from him to see what he would do and he came hopping through the grass full blast after me and ran up my leg which was cute but I didn't take him out anymore.
>>
>>1977939
In my opinion they just either live or die from the respiratory issues.
You can take dying ones to the vet and maybe extend their life a little but it's probably going to be a constant battle.
They are all exposed to the mycoplasma and in some rats it exhibits as sort of an ongoing cold and they may get sore looking noses they wipe a lot but they live a full life, others suddenly die in their youth and the strongest ones never show any symptoms even having been completely exposed, well except sneezing which they will do for other reasons like stress.
All you can do is try to be more careful with washing your hands and all that and watch your rat's behavior for anything weird like walking backwards or head tilt, frazzled fur and lack of energy. And to separate them from the others in case they are are having mild issues of their own and can't handle being exposed to the secondary infection the very sick rat has developed.
Often though if it's serious by the time you see obvious symptoms it's may be too late due to rats hiding weakness as long as they can like birds do.
>>
File: IMG465.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG465.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
Okay so I've had a bit of progress in my attempts to make my two male rats friends. A little backstory:

I've had Po (pic related) for 2 years, he's a very cuddly and docile rat who loves humans, but has in the last year developed a sudden aggressiveness towards other rats after the alpha in his cage passed. He bullied his older cage mate and I had to keep them separated. I mistakenly thought Po was aggressive because the other rat was very old and weak - an easy target, so I bought him a new friend.

>Introduction time
>Po immediately begins huffing and puffing, fur is standing up, chattering teeth, trying to bite
>Obviously wants to kill the other rat
>Try to introduce them several times with the same result - Po shows strong aggressiveness and tries to bite him.

This has gone on for about two months, and the new rat has in that amount of time grown fairly big and is very jumpy and strong. And today there was a sudden shift in Po's behavior when the new rat came near. He was suddenly acting submissive and fearful, he tried to escape instead of pursuing a fight and he laid down on his back and began squeaking pathetically when the other started 'power grooming' him. He was so scared he even pooped and froze completely up. The other rat did not bite or hurt him, he was just very forceful in asserting his dominance.

This is the first time I haven't had to separate them because of a fight. But I'm unsure if I'm just being cruel to Po in the case that he truly does not want the company of the other male. Is it normal for a rat to be so scared and squeak like he's dying when he's not being hurt? He does not show any affection or friendly rat behavior towards the other rat, but happily grooms and licks my fingers.

Have you had a rat that was able to overcome this kind of antisocial behavior?
>>
File: do-sharp.php.jpg (92 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
do-sharp.php.jpg
92 KB, 1000x750
>>1980106
I just found this baby photo.
>>
File: 1372997538937.jpg (85 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1372997538937.jpg
85 KB, 500x374
>adopt slightly overweight rats
>pick up Oxbow rat food
>feeding instructions
>"free choice, consult your vet if you feel the need to restrict diet"
>mfw

No, seriously. How much am I supposed to fucking feed them?
>>
>>1980123
They'll probably lose weight on the oxbow, even with free feeding. The previous owner probably had them on a mix rather than pellets and they were picking out the fattiest seeds and such.
>>
>>1980143
At the very least I know for a fact that's what the shelter I got them from was feeding, so you're probably right on the nose. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1979946
She will be fine for a while, as long as you spend as much time with her as you can. Make sure to keep your old cage for the new rat to live in while you do introductions. Any other questions be sure to ask, a lot of people aren't sure where to start with intros and it can help a lot to hear how everyone else does it so you can find what works best for you and your rats. Good luck!
>>
>>1980075
Congratulations on your stupidity and ignorance
>>
File: 1440824445701.gif (287 KB, 482x286) Image search: [Google]
1440824445701.gif
287 KB, 482x286
>>1980928
>taking the bait
>>
>>1980083
I would be too afraid of some bird swooping down and taking one of my rats away.
>>
>>1980944
Sadly a lot of people think that way though
>>
is there a name for that red gunk rats get on their eyelids?
>>
>>1981094
>>1979475

Google is your friend too. Might want to clear your name field.
>>
File: 494286.jpg (253 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
494286.jpg
253 KB, 1366x768
So I figured out the "dander" on my boy is lice! I can't believe I didn't notice it sooner. All 3 of 'em are on something called Revolution and it's only been the first week and they look so much better. Sorry baby boys I feel so bad about that...
>>
I need some advice. I have 2 rescue girls and they like to bite. One of them is pretty okay with hands but once I leaned my face in to pet my older rat and she nipped me pretty hard on the nose. The other one STILL doesn't get it that I don't want her teeth on me at all despite the fact I've been flipping her on her back and power grooming her. They also make me afraid to even go near their cage because they'll bite the shit out of anything near the bars at all.

What do?
>>
File: cuties.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cuties.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1080
>>1981128
My female rat also has lice too. I bought some ivermectin paste so hopefully this works out for her.
>>
I'm going to be one of those terrible owners and make my ratties some halloween costumes. Should be fun...
>>
>>1980083
>I put my big fat black rat out in the grass and walked a good distance away from him
Wow, anon. that might be the most irresponsible thing I've heard on this board. How would you feel if he had gone the other way and you never saw him again? How would you feel if a bird of prey had gotten him (there have been reports of that happening, even hawks grabbing rats from people's shoulders)?

In general, you shouldn't take your rat outside unless he has gotten used to using a harness inside or if he is very well trained and you know he will come when his name is called. Other than that, it is too risky.
>>
>>1977927
Nah m8.
>>
File: IMG_20150815_192924530.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_192924530.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
i had to bury my lady Jade today

she was almost three years old and was losing weight and looking haggard no matter now much ensure and baby food she ate. i guess it was her time.

rest in peace baby. im gonna miss you
>>
>>1981373
I'm sorry for your loss anon, but pleas please PLEASE for the love of god replace the wood shavings in the cage with some other bedding if you haven't already. It's really bad for their lungs and airways. Paper or pellets is ideal.
>>
>>1981401
i know pine and cedar are really bad but that's aspen. i read that it was okay, i hope i didn't fuck up. D:

thank you
>>
>>1981194
He wouldn't ever run the other way. He was terrified. He's always going to run towards you for safety.

Dude is a dick for doing that
>>
>>1981406
I am not that anon, but it is my understanding that aspen is okay. I think that it does produce more dust/stuff to get in your ratties' lungs than paper bedding, but I have never before heard that aspen was so bad that it shouldn't be used.

I use fleece for my rats, but please, someone correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to use aspen in the future if it's not okay. I think you're okay though, anon. Very sorry to hear about your girl. She lived pretty long, for a rat at least.
>>
File: Z2p1f6Y.jpg (69 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
Z2p1f6Y.jpg
69 KB, 852x1136
>>
File: IMG_20150815_192854960.jpg (874 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_192854960.jpg
874 KB, 2592x1456
>>1981526
I just looked it up and Ratguide along with a few other sites say that aspen is okay. Phew.

Thank you for the kind words. Her sister is still very active and at a healthy weight, thankfully. They're on an all fresh food diet and I think that's why.
>>
File: 20151020_1926567.jpg (1 MB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
20151020_1926567.jpg
1 MB, 2080x1560
I noticed that when I pet my rat's tummy (on the right) he starts rapidly licking my finger. Any idea what this means? Is he submitting to me? I haven't tried it on the brown one yet. I only got these little guys about a week ago, so they're not fully accustomed to me yet.
>>
>>1981965
Oops, the white one on the *left.
>>
>>1977935
My dad used to put down any sick pet mice we had with a brick and a plastic bag.
>>
>>1977924
yes they do
>>
>>1980252
Hey! So as of now I have adopted another rat who was reported to be aggressive, but I figured I'd just try her out. She was brought out from the back and put into my hands and as the friendliest rat I'd ever seen, probably just happy to get some attention. I brought her home to see if she and my other would get along and they're already sleeping together and cleaning each other, and they both have progressively gotten happier since
>>
>>1981965
> Is he submitting to me?
Haha It's more likely the direct opposite. he's trying to dominate you! When rats lick rapidly and 'forcefully' they do it as a means to show dominance.
>>
>Fiance playing with rats
>One is sitting on his chest grooming/licking his beard for 10 minutes straight
>He opens his mouth to speak to me
>Rat lumps forward and shoves her head straight into his mouth to start grooming his tongue
>He's laughing so hard he starts crying
>Rat begins licking his tears
>mfw my rat is pic related

She's lovely, but I'm pretty sure she's touched in the head.
>>
To anyone with multiple rats, do they tickle each other?
>>
Bump for rats
>>
>>1979238

it's pretty easy

1. buy small pumpkin--one of the pumpkin pie types meant for cooking, not an ornamental pumpkin
2. wash it and cut a tiny hole or wedge out of the side so they can smell the inside
3. put in cage

they'll have a blast chewing on the stem, eating a hole in the side, and pulling out the seeds and stringy shit to eat. they'll eat the meat as well and it's something for them to do

they like all kinds of cooked squash too, both summer and winter types
>>
>>1983535

yes they do. noisy rats squeak a little funny when they get groomed/played with and it tickles. if you watch them you can see their skin twitch when they get tickled

rats are pretty affectionate with each other
>>
>>1986081
Are ornamental pumpkins bad for rats? I just bought some pumpkins and I'm pretty sure they're edible, since I ate some last year. Thought about giving them the flesh/stringy crap/seeds from the inside as a treat.
>>
File: rat.png (204 KB, 336x306) Image search: [Google]
rat.png
204 KB, 336x306
>>1977923
I accidentally created a new thread, somehow missing this one in the catalog. I really must ctrl + f more often.

Anyway, hello thread! I'm hoping to become a proud owner of two rat brothers soon, but I still have to research some more.

There are unfortunately only two pictures of the brothers. This is the best one- and I've noticed that his ears are very red (maybe it's the lighting). Is this a sign of bad health? Google images isn't helping me so much here, since the skin certainly does not look crusty.

Secondly, I'm planning on building a 30-40cm wide house for them inside their large cage. Three walls, one whole on the sides (except for the back wall), and a drape to cover the front. Is wooden furniture okay for rats? Or is it only wooden shavings that are bad?
Also, should the windows/holes be circle shaped or square shaped? Which one has less chance of the rat accidentally getting stuck as he grows?

Lastly, is it an absolute dealbreaker if they're originally bought from a pet shop? The owner listed them as "tame, clever and very cuddly", and wants to sell them at just 4 months old (did not list weight) as they had developed an allergy.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my blatant amateurness.
>>
>>1986939
>one whole
*One hole on the sides
>>
>>1986939
>Is this a sign of bad health?
Looks fine to me. It looks like he has some of that dark fur on the backs/edges of his ears, which when viewed from the front could make them look more reddish.

>Is wooden furniture okay for rats? Or is it only wooden shavings that are bad?
Just the shavings. Wooden furniture is great; they'll gnaw on it and keep their teeth growth in check. My own cage has wooden ramps and platforms. Be aware that wood will absorb urine (and its accompanying stink) better than plastic would, though.

>Also, should the windows/holes be circle shaped or square shaped? Which one has less chance of the rat accidentally getting stuck as he grows?
Doesn't really matter, honestly. They'll probably chew the opening and warp the shape anyway.

>Lastly, is it an absolute dealbreaker if they're originally bought from a pet shop?
Nah, I'd hazard a guess that most pets rats were. At least if they were "dud" rats that were going to immediately tank health-wise they probably would've done it by now.

Good luck, post pics when you get them.
>>
>>1987072
>wooden furniture is great, they'll gnaw on it and keep their teeth growth in check
That's great! I was just looking at other videos that featured wooden furniture inside rat cages, so that answers that question.
>Be aware that wood will absorb urine better than plastic
Will do.

I guess I'll make a square shaped hole since it's easier to do with the current equipment I have.

Thank you so much, anon. I'm feeling good about this. I still need to gather more knowledge about rat care, but it looks like I will end up buying them. If I do, I absolutely will contribute OC here (and the finished wooden house, if it doesn't look too bad).

If they do turn out to be from a shop, then I'll buy insurance almost immediately. Can't risk the increased chance of tumours, illness, etc from them.
>>
What kind of clippers does /an/ use for cutting rat nails?

I've heard that using a human nail clipper is good (though not the kind that looks like mini-scissors).
>>
>>1977933
So cute.
>>
File: japanese bird showering.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
japanese bird showering.gif
2 MB, 250x250
Good luck from /jp/, /an/!
>>
File: HB6018_1_Zoom.jpg (151 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
HB6018_1_Zoom.jpg
151 KB, 600x600
>>1986939
>is it an absolute dealbreaker if they're originally bought from a pet shop?

Nah, with rats from breeders there is a bigger chance they will have easy personalities and you can get a refund rat if it suddenly dies or has some disease, but pet shop/feeder rats can be just as good as expensively bought breeder ones. If they have been treated well by humans, they'll likely be friendly and make good pets.

Wooden furniture is good with rats because they like chewing on it, but they also piss it up. I usually make houses out of small cardboard boxes which can easily be replaced.

I would also recommend the 'sputnik rat iglo' in my pic. They're great because they can hang from the cage or be placed on the bottom of it and the rats love nesting in them + they can't be chewed through and are very easy to clean.
>>
>>1989794
oh okay thanks

but why just like that?
>>
>>1980082
I'd recommend one of the following:
baby shampoo, diluted
dr. bronner's, diluted
or a homemade soap.

you don't really need to shampoo them, though, so don't do it often.
>>
>>1977923
I've had a rat for a couple months now, and he just isn't getting used to handling. Every time I pick him up, he screams. I try to come at him gently and from underneath, and I've tried to socialize him for the past two months, but he's just not taking to it. He's fine with people and isn't afraid of me until I try and pick him up. He also doesn't seem affectionate at all. What do? He's got two older cagemates, by the way.
>>
>>1977925
Mine are fine. They come when I call them and I have a lot of open space for them to explore safely. I think it's fine if you know your rats well and have a safe place to let them outside. They really do seem to enjoy it.
Harnesses don't work so well in my experience. my rats have always escaped.
>>
File: cc.jpg (16 KB, 480x343) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
16 KB, 480x343
>>1989919
Shit, that's cute. Is that your rat?

I was going to get one of those comfy-looking hammocks, and I suppose I'll be getting two, now.

Thanks, again.
>>
>>1990163
I've had the same problem with one of my boys. He was terrified of being picked up and shat himself every time, unfortunately never learned to like it. Some rats never do. I suspect they are the ones that have been handled badly by people from birth, or not at all.
>>
File: IMG494 (1).jpg (155 KB, 972x527) Image search: [Google]
IMG494 (1).jpg
155 KB, 972x527
>>1990326
Naw It's just a picture I found. This is one of my new boys Lloyd though. I cant take good pictures of him while he's chilling in his iglo or hammock because he immediately sticks his head up into the camera :I
>>
>>1990787
i have that problem with my rats too, soon as I get near em with the camera they are all "wassup" and come running at me
>>
File: 1289701982238.jpg (72 KB, 423x383) Image search: [Google]
1289701982238.jpg
72 KB, 423x383
>2 previous rats love chilling in hammock, bicker for prime position
>old rats die, get 2 new ones
>super stoked to pimp their cage out with all my old rat gear
>they don't touch the hammock except, rarely, as a way to get to other platforms

Could the fact that these niggas are mostly blind have something to do with it? I've never had blind rats before or even liked the coloration, but these guys had such great personalities.
>>
File: corrupt jojo.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
corrupt jojo.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>
File: img002.jpg (192 KB, 600x506) Image search: [Google]
img002.jpg
192 KB, 600x506
>>
>>1990930
i get it
>>
File: 2excited4me.jpg (108 KB, 736x954) Image search: [Google]
2excited4me.jpg
108 KB, 736x954
>>1990787
Still adorable. I love the little white patch on his head.

Moreover, I just messaged the owner and asked if they're still there. I'm so excited! I have my hotmail open in another tab and, while absolutely unnecessary, I feel the need to refresh it every now and then to check if they have responded.
>tfw
>>
File: external screaming.jpg (36 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
external screaming.jpg
36 KB, 400x302
>>1991090
>it has only been 8 minutes since I made this post

THE WAIT IS REAL
>>
>>1990930
>suck suck suck
>>
File: ss.jpg (824 KB, 1000x1440) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
824 KB, 1000x1440
>>1991090
She replied! If all goes well, I'll be welcoming two rat brothers into my home on Thursday. I found out that they were born in an agricultural college, and then given to a pet shop, where the owner had bought them. I feel a lot better knowing that.

I cannot wait, /an/. It's like a childhood Christmas all over again.
>>
One of my rats seems to be scratching a lot. She's got no skin problems and her cagemates aren't itching. Any ideas? Is it just a habit, or does she just need a bath?

>>1990844
Is the hammock new, or if it's the old one, has it been thoroughly washed? If it still smells like your old rats, the new ones might be scared of it since they think they're trespassing into another rat's territory.
>>
Where do your rats like to be pet?
I got my boy a couple weeks ago and he only likes having the sides of his head scratched- try to pet him on the top of the head or under the chin and he's outy
>>
>>1991903
Most rats like having their cheeks stroked, I've found. My own also like the head and scritchies behind the ears, and sometimes long strokes down their sides.
>>
>>1991877
Could just be dry skin? Especially now that the weather's turning colder and drier.
>>
If one of my rats gets hiccups a lot - as in every day, usually multiple times a day - should I be concerned?
>>
File: IMG_1800.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1800.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Invading with a photo of my mouse, Charlie, enjoying his candy mineral block.
>>
How much love, affection, or at least attention can I hope to receive from a rat?
>>
>>1992361
More than you would receive from a reptile thats for damn sure. Rats are incredibly intelligent little animals and they love their human owners.
>>
Don't know if this is the right place, but what pet would you guys recommended that's similar in temperament and intelligence to a rat but lives longer? I don't think I could cope with them only living ~2 years
>>
File: randc.jpg (380 KB, 811x869) Image search: [Google]
randc.jpg
380 KB, 811x869
>>1991135
Taken while transporting them to my apartment. It doesn't seem so comfortable to keep your head in a food bowl, but for some reason, this rat (Chris) thought it was a good idea, even after Jamie got off of him.

They're a lot bigger than they looked like in the advertisment, so I was pretty shocked.

They're very shy and stress a lot when I try to pick them up to put them outside of the cage. I suppose the standard "week or two until they're more comfortable with you" will be applied here.
>>
File: one.jpg (545 KB, 832x1154) Image search: [Google]
one.jpg
545 KB, 832x1154
>>1992530
Here is their cage, which is looking a little empty right now. I'm buying more toys and a rat wheel for them soon. Some toys followed with them from their previous owner, but we had to throw most of them away due to the excessive smell/feel of urine.
>>
File: three.jpg (525 KB, 866x1160) Image search: [Google]
three.jpg
525 KB, 866x1160
>>1992532
Here is Jamie, displeased with my attempt of bribing his love with food.

They both absolutely love sweetcorn, though, so they were happy with a bowl filled with that as a treat.
>>
File: chris.jpg (560 KB, 866x1160) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
560 KB, 866x1160
>>1992534
Here's his brother. The only difference between them is their weight, and the general colour of their feet (which is unfortunately hard to see in this photo. Whenever my camera auto-focuses on Chris, he's already on the move, making most pictures blurry).
>>
>>1992402
A dog? They do say rats are smaller dogs after all.
>>
>>1992556
>>
>>1991903
One of mine likes to be scratched under the chin, around the ears and face, his front legs and lower back. he also like it when i stroke him from the top of his head down to his tail with my whole palm, makes him flatten out like a pancake and vibrate his eyes.

My other isn't interested in cuddling though.

>>1992556
>>1992534
Looks adorable, and a nice size cage too. rats grow from baby to normal sized super fast. It could be that the picture was from a few weeks ago.
>>
File: 18836PL.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
18836PL.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>1992532
The upper right looks really empty, you've got loads of wasted space there. See if you can get a tube like pic related, and have it lead up to a hammock/another shelf. The tubes also clip to the side of the bars, and they're not as huge as they look on the pic (it's a tiny rat). My rats absolutely adore the tub they've got, it's their fav lookout spot when I'm in the room.
>>
>>1992361
Depends a lot on the rat really. Some are very affectionate and groom your hands and face, come when you call, like to sit on your shoulders and lap for hours and chill - like a cat or dog. Some just lick your hand once in a while and act very excited when you open their cage or give them food, maybe likes to sit close to you and eat.

I've never had a rat I didn't feel wasn't affectionate towards me in some way or the other. They're very social. Unless something has made them fear humans, they will want to be social with you too.
>>
>>1992654
Is there a way to tell quickly at a pet store if a rat is more affectionate? should I be trying to handle the rats for a while before deciding to purchase? What time of day is best to try to get a feel of a pet rat?
>>
>>1992962
>should I be trying to handle the rats for a while before deciding to purchase?
YES. This is non-negotiable.
>>
>>1992534
>>1992556
>those dark little feeties
2qt.
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
:3
>>
File: happy merchants.jpg (489 KB, 844x1004) Image search: [Google]
happy merchants.jpg
489 KB, 844x1004
I made them a bowl consisting of cucumber, tomato, apple and sweetcorn.

Spoiler alert: they only ate the sweetcorn.

(Also, if I'm blog posting too much, please let me know)

>>1992652
That's a good idea! I was actually going to make a third level on the top right, while filling out other spaces with climbing gear and a hammock like >>1989919. I'll see if I can find a tube like yours that can lead up to the third level.

>>1992647
>>1992978
Thanks, /an/ons! I do wonder how big they're going to get.. they already look adult-sized to me.

>>1992358
That's one hell of a fluffy-looking mouse. You could've mistaken the thumbnail for a rabbit.
>>
File: chrissy.jpg (451 KB, 735x1100) Image search: [Google]
chrissy.jpg
451 KB, 735x1100
I also managed to take a non-blurry picture of Chris and his feet. If you look at >>1993127 to see that Jamie (on the right) has gloved white hands, while Chris has patches of black/brown.

Pretty hard to tell who you're talking to if their feet aren't in sight. It's going to make name training a little harder for me.
>>
File: cc.jpg (362 KB, 845x737) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
362 KB, 845x737
>>1993128
Here they are, enjoying their first cheerios.

Considering that I have a duvet for a bedding, would getting a mini-hoover be a good idea? When I was little, I remember having a handheld hoover that had a wide opening which picked up small parts/food, but the only ones I can find online are for dust-only (although maybe I was just using the product wrong as a child).

What does /an/ use to make cleaning an easier experience?
>>
>>1978049
If you do, get two younger ones so that you won,t get stuck in an endless cycle.
>>
File: 1446490106775.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1446490106775.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>1977923
My rat's poop is more often than not green and soft.

I've never seen that with my previous rats
I haven't been feeding her anything out of the ordinary, though she's also a very picky eater.

What do?
>>
File: IMG_20151105_184827461.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151105_184827461.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
My rat choked this morning. I googled it and found out that they usually work the food out themselves. She did and she's fine now, but it scared the shit out of me especially since I lost her sister last month.

And her cagemate is sneezing so I have to take that rat to the vet tomorrow. :(
>>
File: setup.png (717 KB, 660x510) Image search: [Google]
setup.png
717 KB, 660x510
>>1993127
Here's the tubes in my setup (cage looks a bit of a mess in pic- I'd just cleaned it out, when I do I scatter fluffy bedding in clumps around the cage, my girls love running about to collect it all and build nests with it). The one on the right they absolutely love. They're great for filling up otherwise useless space in the cage.

>>1993130
>What does /an/ use to make cleaning an easier experience?

I use a kitchen towel to wipe off any mess from the shelves first, then spray with some animal safe disinfectant (you can find it in pet shops), then wipe. Once the shelves are clean then I empty the bottom, disinfect that, then fill with absorbent pellets again. Takes about 20 mins to do a proper job of it. If the bottom is particularly dirty I give it a rinse in the shower as well.

Word of advice anon, remove rats before cleaning shelves, otherwise they'll be swarming all over you, chasing the towel around, getting accidentally sprayed and just being a playful nuisance!
>>
>>1993293
Poor anon :( Glad she's okay now. What did she choke on?

Hope the vet trip goes fine, if it's nothing serious/caught early some antibiotics should sort it out. Good luck!
>>
>>1993296
A piece of dog kibble. She likes to steal from my border collie.

Thank you anon. She is eating and drinking so I'm sure she'll be OK, im just a worrier.
>>
>>1992962
Yes there are some things to look for. If a rat shows curiosity when you come near instead of fear or indifference, it most likely means it isn't afraid of humans and sees them as friends. If the rat has a lot of red residue coming from the eyes and nose, sneezes constantly or makes weird clucking/wheezing sounds, you should not buy it as those are telltale signs it is sick.

Handling it before you make any decisions is a very good idea. Most rats will be a bit scared at first if they're not used to it, but if the rat is relatively calm/not completely panicking and doesn't try to bite, there is good chance it will make a nice friendly pet.

I picked one of mine in a petstore out from the rest because he came running to inspect my fingers when I put my hand in the cage. He was very calm when I held him and showed no fear of humans. I've had him for some months now and he is a great rat, sits on my shoulder, comes when i call, and tries to groom my ears constantly. He was a feeder, but had obviously been treated well by someone before I bought him.

There is a bigger chance the rat will be friendly and used to human hands if you buy from a breeder, but pet store bought ones can be just as good pets.
>>
>>1993288
Feed her blocks so she can't pick? Cut down on vegetables if you feed her that often. It can make their poop runny.
>>
round and round
>>
Do my rats need a lab block? If I feed them healthy people food daily can they just eat that? I don't know if it's too risky.

Ex: oatmeal, nuts, eggs, berries, veggies, occasional meat/fish.
>>
Rat related music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY
>>
>>1993493
It's a good idea to also give them supplementary blocks to make sure they get all the vitamins they need. You can find a lot of info online about their daily need of nutrition and how to create a good, balanced diet with everyday food.
>>
>>1992962
>Pet shop has two rats up for adoption abandoned by shitty previous owner
>Think about having them, ask to handle them to see how friendly they are
>One runs straight up my arm and immediately disappears down the back of my tshirt
>I'm howling with laughter as poor embarrassed shop assistant is trying to fish rat out
>Adopt them because how could I not after that

Always handle before you buy anon!
>>
Is it normal for rats to bicker over food? I adopted 2 bonded males and oftentimes shortly after feeding I'll hear a tussle in the cage (today accompanied by a few squeaks). I know some scuffling is to be expected with social, hierarchical animals, and they do seem to get along great otherwise, but I worry because my two previous rats never accepted each other and needed to be housed separately until they died. I REALLY don't want to keep 2 rats separately again.

Would it help to feed them separately?
>>
File: rat.jpg (108 KB, 500x607) Image search: [Google]
rat.jpg
108 KB, 500x607
>mfw one of my rats boggles for the first time

I feel validated as a pet owner, hooray!
>>
>>1994213
If it's rodent mix or treats, it can be a good idea to feed them individually because rats like to steal from each other and that can cause some scuffling when there is some of the pieces in the food mix that are 'better'.

Or switch to blocks, which will eliminate any reasons to steal and fight because they're all the same and no piece is more tasty than the other.
>>
These things are, objectively, filthy disgusting vermin on par with the mosquito for how terrible they are. What do you fuckers see in them?
>>
>>1993288
>that feel when your stealth is at 20 and you roll a 20+
>>
>>1994483
>clean
>friendly
>soft ears
>shiny eyes
>delicate hands
>twitchy nose
>wacky tail
>>
>>1994479
I'm feeding them Oxbow, which is... not quite blocks, more like kibble pieces. But yeah, it's all the same stuff.
>>
File: 3025688-slide-s-rats-05.jpg (49 KB, 1200x863) Image search: [Google]
3025688-slide-s-rats-05.jpg
49 KB, 1200x863
>>1994483
Bad bait. Rats are obsessive about cleaning themselves constantly, more so than cats. They are attracted to human filth because where there is human filth, there is easy food.

>What do you fuckers see in them?
Cute, intelligent, social, poops and pisses in one spot, can learn tricks faster than most dogs, easy to care for.

Wild sewer rats are not the same as pet rats. They have been domesticated like dogs and differ both physically and psychologically from their wild counterparts.
>>
>>1994483
They're basically quieter, cleaner, lower-maintenance, grossly less expensive dogs. Also, I don't have to wander around in subzero weather waiting for them to deign to pick a spot and shit.
>>
>>1994592
I've never understood how they manage to take those pics. My rats immediately wake up if I go near and jump to their feet. HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING HEY HEY CAN I COME TO
>>
>>1993288
Start giving lab blocks instead
>>
>>1993493
You can feed them people food. Look up basic rat nutrition. Just keep to more grains than protien/veggies.
>>
>>1993548
I went and bought lab blocks today. I don't want to mess up in case I forget some important vitamin.
>>
File: happening.gif (973 KB, 312x213) Image search: [Google]
happening.gif
973 KB, 312x213
>>1993294
Nice cage! Looks like there's tons of things to do and play with in there.

And oh yes, it's a bit difficult to clean while they're still inside. I recently took down the cage from the stand, which has proved to be helpful in many ways. I can now take off the front without having to worry that they're going to fall from a high height, and that they can roam freely from cage to apartment whenever the cage door is open.

I've also found that using plastic, disposable gloves feels better to use than rubber ones.. and there's less curious nibbling with the former (one had even tried to jump inside my rubber glove while cleaning). Bad for the environment, but a whole lot better for my rats.
It's day 4 now, and I noticed that my rats still were not eating their commercial rat food, only bird food and sweetcorn. I'm waiting for my Harlan Teklad to arrive between the 25th Nov. to the 5th December, but I didn't want to risk having them deficient in nutrients until then, so I finally made Suebee's rat food mix.

I'm so happy- they're actually eating their food for once!
>gif related
>>
>>1994213
>>1994584
This is still an issue. I started feeding them on opposite areas of the cage, which worked for like 3 feedings, but the tussles have gotten progressively longer (still just a few seconds) and squeakier. Can someone weigh in?
>>
File: jay.gif (4 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
jay.gif
4 MB, 200x150
>>1995067
Jamie appears to have gotten a congested nose, which took place within the hour. He was sneezing yesterday. If the symptoms get worse by tomorrow, I'm taking him to a vet. Just.. did not expect my rat to become ill in the first week, and I really hope that that's not the case. Especially now that they've started eating properly.
Now I'm riddled with those awful "what ifs" thoughts, but trying to stay positive.

I read that a humid environment is good, and that it is recommended to take your pet rat into the bathroom as you shower. Thing is, I don't want to stress him any more- he hates being touched/held and can only be transported by luring him onto a box. And neither one has ever been to my bathroom, I'm not so sure a new area would be good for stress, either.

Anyone have any experiences with this, specifically with a new rat?

I feel so stupid for not taking into account that they could get sick so quickly..

>>1995074
Are they comfortable with you? I'm no expert, but what I would do in your situation is to let one out of the cage to feed, while the other has his own feeding place inside the cage. Have him outside for a while (maybe a few hours) before letting the other one out, too.

My rat brothers are also fighting over food- more specifically, treats- even if they're being fed the same thing. They love flax seeds- and whenever Jamie (the dominant male) has finished eating first, he goes to Chris (his brother) and tries to fight him for the last of the seed. I have to feed Chris first while keeping Jamie distracted, so that there's less fighting.

They're like this with some foods, too, but nowhere near as bad as your situation.
>>
File: TimeForThatFeel.png (188 KB, 336x459) Image search: [Google]
TimeForThatFeel.png
188 KB, 336x459
>>1995123
I should clarify that the blocked nose is the only symptom he has (no laboured breathing, no lethargy, no breathing through the mouth, etc) or else I would be at the vet instead of posting about it on 4chan.

Regardless, the symptoms have stopped. I'm a lot less stressed now, and I feel better every time I see them eating their food.

It's the little things, /an/.

I'm going to see if I can make more gifs of them exploring the apartment tomorrow.

>>1994601
Neither can I, especially when there are toys/decorations in the photo. I'm sure that they have to take many, many photos before getting that one picture that looks good.
>>
>>1995123
It might be just down to stress. New environment, new owner, new food and new smells will have made him stressed, so his immune system will be weaker than usual. Chances are it was just a sniffle. Good to hear he's feeling better though; respiratory conditions can be very serious in rats, so if they ever get one take them to a vet ASAP. A quick course of antibiotics will usually do the trick, and they're not too expensive either.

>>1995067
Thanks for the compliment! The rats were adopted and the cage came with them. There was barely anything in it, so I've been adding a bit at a time. Rats aren't really bothered with open spaces, but places they can climb and hide they absolutely love.

There's a wheel in there for exercise, but word of caution, not every rat likes it. Out of the four rats I've owned one loves it, one pottered for a few seconds, the other two completely ignored it. It's worth getting one I think, but don't worry if they seem uninterested!
>>
>>1995173
You're right, it might be a lot of changes to take in as a little rat, and that in itself can be stressful. I know about the dangers of respiratory conditions in rats, so I freaked out quite prematurely.
Unfortunately, he's having another episode right now involving a blocked nose and sneezing. I got a pretty good audio recording of it, so tomorrow I'm going to show it to the local vets (friend of a friend works there so it's less awkward). Fingers crossed that it's nothing long-term!

>so I've been adding a bit at a time
That's the best way to go about it, with any animal! Helps keep things exciting and new for them.

>not every rat likes it
I've never heard this, but good to know- I decided to google this and was surprised to see that this is seemingly common. I suppose it just doesn't pique their interest enough.

Well, climbing cages seems to be a good enough sport for now until they get a wheel!
>>
File: IMG_20151109_155306594.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_155306594.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
My sweet girl Mary.

I took her to the vet today after noticing some sneezing and lethargy. The vet said that she has pneumonia and its severe, but it's possible that she'll pull through. He gave her subcutaneous fluids and prescribed antibiotics to give her twice a day. If she doesn't respond, it's likely lung cancer and he can euthanize her peacefully.

I'm crying and I had to vent. I don't want to lose my baby. I've had her since she was five weeks old and tiny.
>>
>>1995221
It's entirely understandable why you would wish to vent at a time like this, Anon. I hope she feels better as soon as possible, nobody likes watching their baby suffer.

She's adorable. How old is she now?
>>
I've had hamsters, gerbals, guinea pigs, fancy mice, rabbits but always wanted to get rats. Can anyone point me to some books/setups for rats. Where I can buy them etc. I wanted to get a huge cage with several floors etc and maybe 3 or 4 females. Any advice or info etc would be most appreciated! =) I love animals
>>
So good rats can live for 5+ years, but most only live for 1 or 2 because of cancer? That sucks.

Haven't labs developed rats that are immune to cancer or something? I feel like I've heard that before, but I could just be confusing it with the fact that naked mole rats are immune to cancer.

If this is the case, though, why aren't there cancer-resistant rats in the pet trade? I mean, they're just rats, they're a dime a goddamn dozen, and even though they're pretty cheap, somebody could earn a pretty penny breeding them as pets.

I love (pet) rats, but it's unlikely I'll ever get one just because of how quickly they die.

Also I literally had to punch a barn rat bigger than my hand to death the other day
>>
>>1995238
Are you in the US?

You can get cages from craigslist, any major pet store, or really good ones from http://www.martinscages.com/

care info: http://www.dapper.com.au/links.htm#ratcare

you can get your rats from a rattery if there's one in your area, craigslist, or a petstore :)
>>
>>1995235
thank you for the kind words. she's almost two years old.
>>
>>1995262
No problem, Anon. Wishing you and Mary all the best!
>>
>>1995248
They end up dying more often of lung related problems, many rats that seemingly died of old age actually passed due to progressed respiratory disease. The ones in labs don't have this, but 99% of all pet rats are infected with it and it breaks out in old age or when they're sick.

The selling of pet rats is largely uncontrolled, most breeders are just enthusiasts who decided to invest a bit more in their hobby, otherwise most of the rats you see in pet shops are for feeding snakes and lizards - the only difference between them and 'pet' rats is colour variations. But since the feeder rats don't need to live for long, and those are the ones the pet shops make most sales of, there is no need for the sellers to try an eliminate respiratory diseases. It is very contagious, rats can easily pass it on to a 'clean' rat through the air. They need to be in an extremely controlled environment only interacting with other 'clean' rats for it to not spread, which would be costy and near impossible to do in something like the ordinary pet rat trade where a large percent has been bred for feeding, and the origins of many are unknown/come from previous owners or 'hobby'breeders.

They haven't found a cure for cancer in rats yet, but I did hear some scientists in Denmark developed something that destroyed cancer cells in mice.
>>
>>1995361
Most of mine have also passed due to respiratory diseases. How horrible that we breed defective animals. I wonder if hobby breeders could actually make a difference, but I think most people breed for patterns/color.

I'd like to see some statistics of causes of rat deaths if there are any. This post actually made me feel bad about owning rats.
>>
>>1995206
If there is no other symptoms it can usually be cleared up with some antibiotics. But yeah, it could also just be that's he's a little stressed from moving. rats usually do sneeze once in a while, and they can have small fits, but it shouldn't be constant.
>>
>>1995255
Thank you! =)
>>
Hey guys. I was thinking about purchasing a couple of rats but I have a few questions. First off, I have never owned small animals before and I realize it will be an investment to get the right habitat. Will a large aquarium suffice? How do you guys feel about buying rats from pet stores? I live in NYC and have no idea where to find a breeder or what their prices are like.
>>
>>1995543
No, an aquarium would be awful. Glass sides mean there's little ventilation. Plus rats love to climb, so an empty aquarium would be boring and unpleasant for them.

Try getting a cage like pic related. Bars let your rats climb and there's different levels for them to play on (get solid shelves, wire shelves can deform their paws). Most major pet stores will stock them, you can also look in your local area to see if anyone's selling one cheap.

If you can, buy from a breeder rather than a pet store. Pet shop rats aren't bred for health and you have no idea where they came from. You can get decent pet shop rats, but it's pot luck. Get from a breeder if you can, since they will have also handled the rat and got them used to people.

Google is your friend for finding breeders. I'm UK based so not sure what the US situation is like, but here rat clubs publish lists of ratteries and breeders. Look for a rat club and see if you can find breeders close to you.

Prices should be fairly cheap, unless you want a rare breed/colour. Make sure you get at least 2, preferably 3. A lone rat is a miserable rat!
>>
File: 10_Freddy_Cage.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
10_Freddy_Cage.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
>>1995664
Forgot the pic like an idiot.

Also found this for you, it might help:
http://www.meetup.com/New-York-Rat-Group/messages/boards/thread/10129180
>>
>>1995543
I've had good experiences with rats from Petcos in NYC, but if you order them to a smaller pet shop they can get them from a breeder for you. If you're new SI, I can recommend the Petco or Arcadia Pets if that still exists.
>>
Just adopted 4 rats off craigslist a few hours ago.

I just spotted a tumor on one of them ;w;
>>
There is a small mouse on my room

How do I catch it
>>
>>1996017
get a cat
>>
>>1995832
>>1995664
Thanks for the info, friends. I'll be sure to get everything I need to make sure they are all good and healthy. (Once I save up some dough for everything).

A question about feeding that seems to get mixed answers. Do you guys feed them periodically or let them have a bowl with food all the time.
>>
>>1996025
Rats like to nibble on food throughout all of the hours they're active so it's best to leave a bowl. They don't eat it all at once, they just stash it and safe it for later.

The cages can be pretty expensive from new, but you can get them fairly cheap(sometimes including rats) if you look around on facebook rodent groups in your area, craigslist, ebay etc.
>>
>>1996025
All the time. Get a big water bottle too. Try to feed them nice treats everyday- for me that tends to be bits of my dinner.

You should aim on saving ~200 for everything new, or free-100 for used.
>>
>>1996037
Yeah I got 2 ferret cages for $90, delivered, including rats and a bunch of food and other stuff.
>>
Do any of you train your rats? I just got a clicker and I plan on starting tomorrow.
>>
>>1996047
Yes, although I make the "clock" sound with my mouth/tounge. It just feels easier, no equipment required.
>>
>>1996047
I've never used a clicker, just treats and mouth sounds. Pretty easy to train simple stuff... mine learned not to shit on me because I put them back in the cage if they do.
>>
>>1995373
I've had an idea- it could be an allergy. He started sneezing the day I bought a paper based bedding for their litterbox. I'm buying a new litter alternative when the stores open up.

Anyone have experiences with rats with allergies? Do the symptoms end immediately after changing the suspected product?

(Or of course it could just be new home sneezes, like you said. I'm re booking my appointment with the vet tomorrow anyhow to see if symptoms persists)
>>
I'm getting a huge cage this week end and I plan on getting rats in a near future.

The thing is there is a really shitty pet store next to my school and they have two adorabld rats. The place is shitty, it smell bad and the two rats are in a cage sized for a russian hamster.
I don't want to support pet store but I feel so bad for those two ratties in such a small space, Idk what to do.
I'm affraid they will be sick or affraid of me if they've never been handled by humans...
>>
>>1996073
Two options:
don't buy the rats because you will be supporting the business and making it possible for them to abuse more animals
OR
just buy them anyways

but handle them first so you can tell if they're nice
>>
>>1996083
>making it possible for them to abuse more animals

Yeah I know, you are totaly right. And I had plans to get baby rats from a serious breeder.
I just hate the idea of letting animals suffer and live a shitty life in a dirty small cage.
>>
File: OBxCDoV.jpg (81 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
OBxCDoV.jpg
81 KB, 960x1280
Say hi to Chu Chu
>>
>>1996017
You will need
-cardboard tube
-tall plastic trash bin
-newspepper
-bait

First find out what the mouse is eating in your room. Using a small piece of tape, attach the tube to the edge of a desk so that half or more of it hangs off. Place bait at the hanging end. Put trash bin under it with some newspapers crumpled on the bottom. Leave the room and you should find the mouse in the trash soon after. Fucking tubes man, rodents love tubes.
>>
post more cute rats
>>
I'm looking to get rats again at my new apartment. Hoping for blonde or light gray females. However I'm going to need it smelling nice so my landlord doesn't complain.

Please recommend me your odor-suppressing beddings and rat-friendly disinfectant sprays.
>>
>>1996089
One of my friends bought a rat from a seedy petshop because she felt bad for it and it was all alone in a small cage. That rat did NOT make a good pet. He was terrified of humans. He never stopped pooping and screeching when picked up.

Buying a pet out of pity usually isn't a good idea.
>>
>live in basement
>want to get rats
>dogs own the ground floor
>looking up rat info
>basement is too dusty for rats
>dogs barking hourly will stress them out
>tfw alone in the basement

I love my dogs but theyre old bastards and dont really like to be bothered anymore.
>>
File: jimh.jpg (30 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
jimh.jpg
30 KB, 400x225
>>1977923
My rats keep jumping up on the table where my computer, keyboard, etc are. I try to put them down, and after several attempts, I eventually put them back in their cage. They don't seem to understand that they're not allowed on there (really it's just the fact that they crawl over the keyboard that I dislike greatly for obvious reasons).

How do I fix this? I've been considering putting cardboard around the table, but I think that they'll learn to jump up on the chair as they get older.
>>
>>1996254
I'm interested in any thoughts on this too. One of my rats keep biting everything he comes by and likes to jump up in my plants and eat them, I put him in the cage immediately when I see it, but he doesn't seem to be learning anything from it. The temptation is just too big for him it seems.

I've read using a spray bottle with water can help with stopping unwanted behavior in rats because they won't associate the water with you, but is that a good method?
>>
>>1996265
I've read that rats are actually incapable of learning from negative reinforcement but that sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>1996265
Train him to come when you call him and just call him away from your stuff.
>>
>>1996111
that rat has a huge lump??
>>
>>1996211
-Nature's Miracle spray- they even make a small animal one
-cat litter: paper pellets with zeolite and baking soda

you could always set up a rig like pot growers do?

>>1996268
Mine were easily trained with negative reinforcement (putting them back in the cage if they poop/pee outside it). I have a hard time telling them not to go places though.
>>
>>1996291
This seems only helpful in the short term, if you think about it.
>>
>>1996291
He is pretty good at coming when I call, EXCEPT for when he's focused on doing something he shouldn't. He gives no shits no matter how many times I call him if he's decided he wants to nibble on the floor panels or destroy plants.
>>
How do I get my rats used to being out in the open, outside of their cage? When I let them out I put them on a table with their little castle hide, so they can go in when they're scared. When I take it away they start to run around and look for it, they obviously get uncomfortable without it. Should I slowly start taking it away, to wean them off of their hide and help them get used to being out in the open?
>>
>>1996650
no don't take it away. rats need a space where they feel safe. what I do is lure them out with food until they're comfortable coming out on their own. try peanut butter or soup on a spoon and hold it in front of them so they're stuck out in the open to get the food. if you can rat-proof a room that'd be ideal- somewhere safe where you can have them explore safely.
>>
>>1996656
Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure if they would end up becoming too attached to it, like a security blanket.
>>
>>1996325
Describe a pot growers rig pls.
>>
>>1996650
How about sometimes leaving the cage door open for the rats without taking them out yourself? I always do that with mine to get them used to my room and it works very well. They feel secure when they know they can venture out and come back again on their own terms.

The easiest way to get rats to become comfortable out of their cage is to first make sure they're comfortable around you though. Right now the rats see the castle as a safe place, but that safe place doesn't have to be a castle, it could also be their owner. Ideally, the rats should come to you for comfort if they feel unsure.
>>
File: SadCat.jpg (25 KB, 171x158) Image search: [Google]
SadCat.jpg
25 KB, 171x158
>biting away at my shitty wallpaper and tearing chunks of it dowqn, landlord is going to be pissed
>keep crawling on my keyboard and biting the cords
>costs more than I had expected when giving them high quality food
>keep climbing to high heights (ie the top of their cage) and end up falling
>poop a shitload for such small animals

I think I went in over my head when buying these rats. I feel godawful. I thought my mental health was going to improve when buying pets- and I've always wanted to own rats- but this isn't how I'd expected to feel.
>>
File: P1205L.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
P1205L.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>1996886
No offence anon, but be a better owner.

>biting away at my shitty wallpaper and tearing chunks of it dowqn, landlord is going to be pissed
Supervise them when they're out, or only let them play somewhere like the bed or the sofa.

>keep crawling on my keyboard and biting the cords
Mine do this, either shoo them away, give them something more interesting to do, or step away from the computer

>costs more than I had expected when giving them high quality food
What the fuck are you feeding them? Caviare? I feed mine pic related, it costs £9 for a 4kg bag and lasts for months. A little extra each week for some fresh greens and you're set. I've eaten more expensive cereals than what it costs to feed 3 rats for a week.

>keep climbing to high heights (ie the top of their cage) and end up falling
Rats love climbing, it's in their nature. Falling is a worry though, what do you mean? Losing their balance? Getting stuck and having to jump?

>poop a shitload for such small animals
All animals do. Just be glad it doesn't stink like a cat or smear like a dog.

It's an adjustment getting new pets anon, and I know when I first got my rats I regretted it. But keep looking after them, learn their quirks and make the little adjustments to your life to fit them in, and soon you'll fall in love with them. Owning a pet, particularly one as quick and clever as rats, can be difficult, but once you've learnt how you'll wonder how you lived without. Feel better soon anon!
>>
File: ratties.jpg (33 KB, 679x488) Image search: [Google]
ratties.jpg
33 KB, 679x488
>>1996977
None taken-- I know I'm the problem, that's why I'm feeling awful and guilt-ridden.

>supervise them
I do, but they don't seem to learn what they're not supposed to be doing, i.e biting the wallpaper. I'm considering putting cardboard all along the ends of the walls to avoid this in the future.

>Caviare
kek
No, it's Harlan Teklad. The shipping prices are outrageous in my country.

I'll give Nugget Rat Food a go, their shipping doesn't seem to be so bad. Unfortunately, they didn't eat their last two commercial foods, so I don't have high hopes. Teklad is fine though.

>Falling
For instance, they climb to the top of their exterior cage, and then they can't get down. It's quite a tall cage. I put them down whenever I see them there, but sometimes they'll try to take matters into their own hands before I get there (maybe they're scared when they see me running over? They're comfortable with me, but maybe my frantic running could be fixed..) and end up falling.

I'm not giving up on them, but like you said- I'm still adjusting, and no amount of rat knowledge prepared me for the practical side of things. Really, I just needed to vent anonymously, since I'm terrified of getting the (albeit well-deserved) "why did you get them in the first place? You're a bad owner!" from people I actually know IRL.

>Feel better soon
Thanks, Anon.
>>
Is there anything I need to know about ratty dental care besides providing them something to gnaw in? In terms of cleanliness?
>>
>>1997129
No not really. Rat teeth turn yellow, but that is not a sign of bad hygiene or decay like with humans.
>>
>>1996992
One of mine falls often when he tries to make impossible jumps or overestimates his own climbing abilities. It spooks me sometimes when he falls a little too far for comfort, but he never seems hurt or to even give a fuck, just gets up and runs around as normal.

When he did it the first couple of times I would run over and make a fuss/check him all over, but I've stopped worrying about it.

I did place my clothes basket next to the cage so he can aim for that when he tries to climb down though.
>>
>>1996819
Create a negative air pressure in your room. Always run an exhaust fan and if you use an intake fan make sure it is smaller than the exhaust fan. So, the only way air is leaving the room is through the exhaust fan.
Run your exhaust vent out your roof of the place where you have your room set up. The neighbors 2 doors down may smell it but when someone gets close to the building you are growing in there will be no smell
Charcoal filters work well, but do have a continual cost as you have to keep replacing your filters, as they get old.
Ionize filters work well to remove the smell from the air. If you recirculate your air and add CO2 to it this may be a good option.

>http://www.pot-heads.com/hide-smell-marijuana.aspx

litter boxes with built in fans also use characol filters. they're not as expensive if you buy bulk activated characol and refill the filters yourself.

you can also get an aromatherapy vape and keep that running. the humidity is good for their lungs and there are some essential oils that help get rid of smellz.
>>
>>1996992
You could look into Suebee's rat mix- it's dirt cheap to make and mine thrive on it.

Don't feel bad. It's good you're not content being a bad owner like some people are. Being a new pet owner is hard. Come up with a gentle way to discourage them when they do something you don't like and stick to it- they do pick up stuff like that. I tell them 'ouch' if they nibble me (they like beards a lot too), or make a tch-tch noise and gently tap them and they always desist chewing what they shouldn't be.
>>
>>1996992
>>1997161
My first rat was crazy. I'd have him on my shoulder, then all of a sudden he'd get bored and decide he wanted off - and would just jump. From ~5 feet in the air, sometimes onto tiled floor. He lost shoulder privileges pretty quickly but never actually got hurt from doing it. Rats are resilient little fucks.
>>
Ive done all my research but I have one problem. I live in the basement of a house with zero climate control. That means the room is literally as cold as dirt during the winter time. Summer is an ideal temp though but my worry is my rats freezing. Im talking like 13 degrees Fahrenheit. Would a space heater be good for them or would that just end up cooking them.
>>
>>1977923
Rats are so fantastic. I had three girls that were all so sweet. They all piled into their hidey house together when they slept and they'd go to the store with me on my shoulders (I'd hide them in my jacket ass I walked). Unfortunately they all developed cancer a few weeks apart this past summer, one right after the other. Three years I had them. Kick ass where ever you are now you glorious little (fat) beautiful dudes. Macy, Daisy, and Hecuba.
>>
>>1978447
Give them plenty of attention and love and you'll see a fantastic response from them. I always had my girls on my shoulders around the house and they'd get off and explore and then hop back on to go with me. Also teach them to come to you with some sort of a command. It makes it 1000 times easier when they're running around and you want them back. They always ran to me when I made a kissing noise.
>>
Does anyone know a cheap place to get antibiotics online? I'm worried one of my babies will come down with myco and I want to be prepared.
>>
if I place a couple towels over my bed, is that a large enough play area for two rats?
>>
>>1997204
I did, but they live up to their "picky eater" standard and only eat the oats and seeds.

Well, I had a complete breakdown today while cleaning their cage. Instead of the usual hour cleaning time, it ended up taking much, much longer because they couldn't stop jumping into the bin bag and taking poo-smeared paper with them, then messing up the apartment with it. When one rat was doing this, the other was up on my keyboard chewing the wires. Then I saw that the one carrying the paper was eating it (its a water-absorbing paper, so I thought, "shit"). I had to keep running back and forth between the two and cleaning up the mess they left behind.
I live alone. I only have two hands. This is too much, I can't even sleep at night with them awake.

I hope-and am sure of-that they will find a better owner than me soon.
>>
File: 507745[1].jpg (73 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
507745[1].jpg
73 KB, 400x288
>>1997301

I highly recommend tetracycline for mycoplasma. I use this for all my feeder rat rescues. 1/8 of a teaspoon added to a full water bottle, and let them drink it for a week. Very severe myco (barely breathing, slowly gagging to death) might take two weeks but don't go longer than that as you don't want them to develop antibiotic resistant mycoplama.

TSC Stores sells 400g for $16.99 and that's more than enough to save all the rats you'll ever own. :)

http://www.tscstores.com/400G-TETRACYCLINE-250-P23785.aspx

More info on tetracycline for rats:
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/tetracycline_hydrochloride.php
>>
File: 2206034[1].jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
2206034[1].jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>1997444

Previous link was for Canadian stores.

Link for stores in the USA (only $5.99):

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/oxytetracycline-soluble-powder-6-2-5-oz?cm_vc=-10005
>>
>>1997366
How big is your bed? Single, double, king?

I have a double and it's fine. I put down some towels for them to tunnel in and some toys like a tunnel.

>>1997418
I assume your cage comes with a separate bottom bit? If I need to clean mine out, but am alone so can't get anyone to supervise them, I lure them to their top hammock and remove the top of the cage with them in it, then put it on the floor. Then I'm free to clean out the bottom and they're still securely in the cage.

If you absolutely need to take them out the cage, get a small pet carrier like pic related and put them in there while you clean. Put some treats in there like slice of cucumber and they'll quickly learn that carrier = tasty food time. If you make a noise when taking the carrier out they'll quickly learn what time it is and practically throw themselves in it. Mine learnt to come to a certain spot for treat in a single day!
>>
>>1997366
Depends on how big the bed is, but it should be fine. I have a queen sized bed, and I let my two boys run around on it while I sit with them.
>>
>>1997418
How long have you had them for? If you're not used to keeping a pet I can see how that could be overwhelming. Can you shut them in the shower or use a milk crate to keep them in? Also, where do you live, if you do choose to rehome them maybe someone here lives nearby.

>>1997446
Thanks! Turns out there's a store near me even. 2 hour bus ride but definitely worth it :) Gonna grab some ivermectin too in case of mites and I think that should cover most things I'd run in to that I can treat for myself.
>>
File: WP_20150328_001.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150328_001.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
Does anyone here make their own rat furniture? Got any advice to share?

I'm planning to make some custom hides and toys using plastic, wondering if there's anything I should watch out for. I also need a cage flooring that's comfy but doesn't absorb too much. Maybe even drains into the bin.Recommendations?

Post your homemade stuff! Pic somewhat related
>>
File: 735.jpg (55 KB, 526x404) Image search: [Google]
735.jpg
55 KB, 526x404
>>1990930
Jesus lel
>>
File: IMG_20151113_184419788.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151113_184419788.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
I know rats aren't supposed to have too much protein. Should they have extra when they're ill?

Two of my rats now have pneumonia. Both are on antibiotics and I'm giving them as much baby food as they will eat. The vet said they need a lot of calories to recover.

Should I give them meat? Will that help their recovery? Pic related, Mary chowin down on some sweet potato.
>>
>>1997366
Yeah, this is what I do too.

>>1997418
You're being really hard on yourself. Sometimes pets just don't end up being a good fit despite the best of intentions. It happens. Look for rat rescues and no-kill shelters in your area, or post on Craig's List. Sell them together with the cage so they don't end up as snake food. Good luck.
>>
>>1995123
huh. looking at that thumbnail, I can kind of see why people would think rats are gross, especially if they had bad eyesight. Fella kind of moves like a paramecium or euglena
>>
>>1977923
??????? ?? ???
>>
>>1977923
>Last one got bumped off, let's not let this one die too
gggbnn
>>
Okay I have a question, do rats know which part of us is the face/eyes? I'm just wondering if they ever know they're making eye contact. Relatedly, do they realize that our hands are our hands or do they think of it as being our head/face since that's the part they interact with most directly? I just think about this a lot.

also do they know we love them
>>
>>1997418
>>1997418
Do you have a carrier for them or something like that? Should be cheap at a store, just shut them in there while you're cleaning if there's no place you'd feel safe letting them run around.

The thing is, it doesn't sound like you find them lovable or engaging in proportion to makeup for the effort (apologies if you do like their company and I misread your tone.) If your enjoyment of them doesn't feel like it makes up for the work then maybe they aren't a good fit for you.
>>
File: 450.jpg (39 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
450.jpg
39 KB, 450x450
Does anyone know if drawing salve is safe to use on rats? One of my girls has an abscess getting ready to open and I was considering buying some to help it along. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>1998382
>I'm just wondering if they ever know they're making eye contact.
Doubt it. Their eyesight is so shitty that I doubt they've developed social instincts dependent on them like dogs and cats have, especially cross-species.

>Relatedly, do they realize that our hands are our hands or do they think of it as being our head/face since that's the part they interact with most directly?
I dunno. My rats will seek out my face, but I hold them up to it a lot (to kiss them, and because... uh, I like the way they smell) so maybe that has more to do with it.

>also do they know we love them
I think so. Not "love" specifically, but they can certainly recognize when a bond is being formed and do attempt to reciprocate it (grooming your fingers, cuddling up).

I think it's really incredible that these creatures, which are naturally inclined toward skittishness since they've always been the food chain's bitch, can come to trust and actually seek out safety in beings a hundred times larger than them. Sometimes mine will lay dozing with their heads stretched across my hands, and it's like... do they even realize that if I wanted to, I could snap their necks in a heartbeat? I could crush their bodies to pulp in just one of my hands and not even expend any effort. I could throw them into a wall and that would be the end of them. But I don't, and would never, and somehow they come to trust that despite instincts telling them that danger could be fucking anywhere. That's really something.
>>
>>1998400
Aw, that is a beautiful sentiment anon, I feel the same way. It's lovely how much they trust us.

You're probably right about the eye contact etc, it's just that mine seem to move towards/stare at my face as well which made me wonder -- it's probably just because I'm always thrusting it at them, for similar reasons.
>>
File: deadskinrat.jpg (102 KB, 932x224) Image search: [Google]
deadskinrat.jpg
102 KB, 932x224
jesus christ why
>>
>>1998382
>Do they know we love them?
I've undeniably had some rats were I felt I received the same form of love and affection from them one would expect from a dog.

They seek you out for safety and cuddles, lick and groom you, they sit on your lap for hours and fall asleep while contently vibrating their eyes, they choose to sit next to or on top of you to eat and groom themselves, they just love being close to you; and like >>1998400 mentions, they trust us so much.

I am 100% sure they know we could crush them if we wanted to, but they know we won't and that's why they come running to the cage door and step out into our hands willingly.
>>
File: kiss rat.jpg (48 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
kiss rat.jpg
48 KB, 650x366
>>1998382
>>1998400
>>1998492
I sometimes wonder exactly what the rats consider us to be in their social hierarchy though. A giant rat? Their equivalent of some sort of god?

They never challenge or attack my hand as if it was another rat when I use it to break up a fight.

One of my current ones hates his cagemates, will not sleep or play with them, seems afraid of them when they come close, he only wants to interact with me and constantly runs to me for safety when they try to groom him. But he loves licking people's fingers and being cuddled. Clearly, to him, humans are not a threat like rats, which leads me to think they consider us another creature outside of their pack dynamic all together.
>>
>>1998501

Well most dogs know we're the "boss", but that we're not dogs. They don't interact with us like other dogs, so there's clearly a level of recognition.

But I don't think they do much thinking beyond, this thing gives me food and plays with me...but we can never know really.
>>
>>1998501
Could this be imprinting, or was he raised with other rats? I had one guy some years ago who refused to accept any cagemates - but he was adventurous, easygoing, and friendly as could be to humans, and would lick even strangers like a dog. He was kept as a solitary rat before I received him. The first buddy I got for him had been raised with other rats... but mine just didn't seem to "get" interacting with him. Buddy-rat would just do normal non-aggressive dominance behaviors and solitary rat would flip the fuck out.
>>
>>1998501
I find it weird too. I've been thinking a lot about that actually- if they weren't domesticated in the past like dogs and cats, why are they so compatible with us? maybe it's just because we've evolved alongside them and most of them rely on our garbage/food storage/etc for food? what would rats be like if we really tried to domesticate them?
>>
>>1998386
I'm gonna say that'd be fine. seems to just be full of herbs so go for it. although this seems more for skin healing: you might want to consider something with antibacterial properties.
>>
>>1998386
why don't you buy real medicine instead?
>>
>>1998545
this is for an abscess... there's not really a medication that magically gets rid of them.
>>
>>1998535
Well, we'll know in about ~1000yrs I guess, if we continue breeding them for suitability to domestic life as dogs have been. I think they probably have much more potential for it than wolves did at the time we began selecting them for docility.

>>1998547
I don't know if that stuff is good for rats or not (never heard of it, but if its all natural should be fine) but for abscesses you can encourage draining using a warm water compress. If stubborn or persistent then may need lancing with a needle. Never heard of anyone needing an ointment for them.
>>
>>1998547
there are medicines that actually treat them.
>>
>>1998553
>but if its all natural should be fine
the shit people believe
>>
>>1998556
I mean like I said I don't know what that stuff is, but if it's just some random health supplement that's safe for humans to rub on themselves it'll probably not be poisonous to rats, since mammal skin is mammal skin. I'm not a homeopathy nut or something -- probably should have said "if it's save for humans..." since neosporin et cetera is fine on rats.

The problem is that they lick it off, and while unlikely to poison them if it's stuff people use on our very porous skin, it means it won't have a chance to work.
>>
>>1996089
your rat is growing another head
>>
>>1998509
>Could this be imprinting, or was he raised with other rats?

He was fine with other rats until about one year ago when the current alpha male in the cage unexpectedly died. He then began displaying aggressive behavior towards his older cage-mate and was very frightened by a new rat I bought to keep him company as I thought he was just being a bully to the old rat because it was an easy target.

When the new rat was small he tried to bite and viciously attack it, now when it's grown he screams and poops when it wants to groom and never returns any sort of friendly behavior. He just freezes up and runs to me as soon as he sees an escape, then sits and shakes like he's traumatized or something. .

My theory is he became confused when the alpha died and wasn't able to correctly take on the role as the new 'leader' without being aggressive (he's small, round and clumsy, not alpha material) so he bit and harassed weaker rats, and now fears the younger, stronger rat will do the same to him even though it's friendly and doesn't bite to assert dominance.
>>
>>1998545
It's not really medicine, you just use it on boils and cysts and the like to encourage it to open. I've used it before on slivers and it actually works so I thought it might help here.

But regardless, the abscess opened on its own a few hours ago and it looks pretty good I guess. I've gotten it cleaned out and she is on antibiotics, so hopefully she'll pull through.
>>
>>1998586
It shouldn't be a problem. Rats heal insanely quick and rarely get infected wounds. But it's likely the cyst will return at some point.
>>
>>1998587
Meant abscess of course.
>>
>>1998554
an abscess needs to be drained first, and then you need to avoid infection and promote healing. are you saying there's a medication that drains the abscess, because I doubt it. I recognize the ingredients and am aware of what they do and whether they're dangerous to rats or not: like I said in my post, I don't think it's the best medicine to use but it's my opinion that it won't hurt them.
>>1998567
he sounds a little neurotic, but some rats just want to be alone
>>1998586
still technically a medicine. I wouldn't discourage the use of it, I make my own salves and recognize many of the plants as having good medicinal properties. I'm glad it opened up, keep an eye on it.
>>
>>1998590
>he sounds a little neurotic, but some rats just want to be alone
He's so very social and cuddly with people though. But I've had to accept he's fucked in the head when it comes to interacting with his own species.
>>
>>1998553
>1000yrs
Less than that hopefully, don't rats have like 1/10th the reproductive cycle? I'm surprised we don't have hunting rats or show rats by now
>>
>>1998604
And that's totally fine! You just might want to consider rehoming him or the other rat so he can be happy as an only rat.
>>1998634
I think that in a hundred years we could definitely see rats that have been domesticated to the same level of dogs: it would just take breeders dedicated to breeding for sweetness with people vs breeding for sneke food.
>>
>>1998638
Yeah I keep him in a separate cage and am planning to buy the other a new friend. Just still think it's weird he won't share space with another rat when he otherwise loves social contact and seeks it from humans.
>>
>>1998646
like I said, a bit neurotic. no harm though, just keep him alone and never breed him. you could consider checking out craigslist though, since some people actually look for that kind of rat to adopt.
>>
>>1998650
Haha no I could never give him away, he is such a good little friend to me. Honestly, the thought of him dying some day not so far off in the future makes me a bit teary eyed to think about. But yes, his fear of other rats would be a very positive trait for an owner who only wants one.
>>
>>1998509
He probably never experienced proper dominant behavior from an adult rat, just soft petting from humans, so when the buddy-rat wants to power groom, he gets frightened because he thinks it's out to attack him.
>>
One of my rats has cancer and she'll be on medicine for the rest of her life. She hates the taste of the medicine so I've been mixing it with a little mashed banana/chocolate spread to get her to eat it (it's pretty hilarious to watch, she pulls ridiculous faces because she hates the medicine but loves the treat). The side effect though is that she's starting to get chubby. She's not an active rat either and is getting old, so she's not getting the exercise to burn off her fat. Is there any healthier things I could mix the medicine with?
>>
>>1998706
poison
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>1999231
>>
Anyone have any tips or guides to help with aggressive rats?

I recently took on 4 girls that had been locked away in a wire bottom cage for a year with no human contact aside from food being chucked in. It was completely empty aside from a plastic house and a tube.

They didn't come out of their hammock for the first 3 weeks but I've been going and feeding them with a glove/tweezers everyday and they all rush out when they hear me now. I'm too chicken shit to actually put my hand in the cage without a glove, 3 of them are pretty calm but one of them is crazy. Whenever I'm near the cage it snatches food, attacks the gloves/tweezers and if I have no food it stands on it's hind legs all puffed up, bearing it's teeth at me and breathing heavily.

Adding to this, any ideas on stress free ways to move them from one environment to another? Trying to clean the cage out is a nightmare. I had to catch them all with towels and gloves last time and they are strong, wriggly things that scream and jump straight up into the air, banging off the roof of the cage and I don't think that kind of stress is really helping them at all.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 83

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.