[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: sadfrog.jpg (94 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
94 KB, 399x388
I have 2 options for my career.

1. This job will pay exceptionally well, will have more flexible hours, but I won't enjoy doing it very much.

2. This job will not pay as much as job 1 but I will get a good amount of money, I will enjoy the job itself more, but I will enjoy it more despite the longer hours.

What do I do? Do I pick the job that I could do and be mildly annoyed with going into work, or should I pick something I would enjoy more even if it will be a harder path for me in life?
>>
Bump.

And one more thing is that if I pick one job, I can't jump into the other field. I'm locking myself down into one field
>>
"Can't jump into another field"

Try not to think like that, dude.

To your question: nobody here can really tell you what to do. it's more complicated than money vs. Enjoyment. You should probably hit up a career counselor if you have the time to do that.

Overall, though, people generally regret going for the money more than going for the enjoyment, but everyone's different.

Good luck.
>>
>>17366541
If job 1. is going to result in you constantly being stressed, then it might not be worth it to risk your health just for some money.

I knew a guy who died at age 46 from drinking too much. His job was very well paying (I think he was a CEO or a senior director or something like that) but he developed cancer from all the drinking, smoking, sleep deprivation and stress of job.

If Job .2 makes you happy and keeps you afloat, go for it.
>>
>>17366541
Can you give me hours? Like 6h vs 8 or 8 vs 10
Cause being locked 10 12 hours even if you are enjoying it will probably get stale fast since not much time is left for hobbies. Also keep in mind you need to do shit arou d the house as well (even if minimal).
>>
>>17366592
I'm applying for residency to be a surgeon. My option for job 1 is plastic surgery and my options for job 2 is general surgery just to clarify a bit. Hours wise, both are rough during training, but if I were to do private practice plastic surgery, my hours would be really flexible vs general surgery career choices.

If I were to do general surgery, I would wanna do something like trauma or vascular surgery which both have crazy call schedules where you're on for 24 hours at a time, maybe longer depending on the day. However, they're more shiftwork so you have 2 crazy call weeks on and then 2 off depending on the practice model.
>>
>>17366644
Shit this changes a lot.

Plastic is easy work for easy money on easy people with easy morals (least my way of seeing)
While general surgeons have either medium to easy life due to most operations being apendicitis. But medical fields tend to be a lot less monotone than other things. Also you dont need to worry about jumping fields. Theres plenty of spots for surgeons.

Go with 2 its better than 1.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.