[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Party
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: ZxDxXy8.jpg (107 KB, 407x547) Image search: [Google]
ZxDxXy8.jpg
107 KB, 407x547
I'm making an effort to go out more, make friends, have fun, and hopefully meet some girls. I'm going to my first party soon and I'm very nervous. I don't know anyone except my only friend who is taking me. A part of me wants to not show up but I know I'll let my friend down and I want to change myself so I'm going.
Any advice?
>>
>>17362536
If you're new, talk to everyone but don't treat the girls differently from the guys. If you don't know what to say, just ask people random questions and act interested in what they say. If they keep up their end of the convo well and put in effort into talking to you, then compliment them on something. Once everyone's friendly and cool you can do a little more if you like.
>>
It's very normal to go to parties in twos. You talk and hang out with the new people you meet. It's kinda the point.
>>
>>17362556
The part that bothers me is that I perceive everyone around
>>
>>17362556
Fuck I sent that too early.
One thing that bothers me is that I feel like everyone is happy to chat to me but its kind of a placeholder conversation until someone that actually is fun comes along. Or until a cute girl comes along. Any tips on getting over these feelings?
>>
Here's a secret fact about parties, and in fact about social gatherings/people in general:

the people you meet at parties are, most often, just as nervous as you are.

Most people, especially young people, are insecure and unsure of themselves. So, they go to drink a ton of beer together for the express purpose of relieving this nervousness. When you go to a party, think of it like you found a (non venomous) spider in your shower: they're just as scared of you as you are of them.

Practically speaking, here's what you do:
>pregame—if you arrive a little drunk, you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing
>bring a six pack or something—unless it specifically says otherwise, most parties could always use a little more beer so you'll instantly be a cool guy
>stick around with your friend for the first half hour or hour or so, but if it feels natural to split off for a bit at some point, go for it. Worst case scenario, you can go find a cat and pet it or something. People go to parties *to* meet people, so there's no shame in not knowing a lot of people when you first get there
>don't overdo the drinking, of course. It sucks to be the guy puking in some toilet at the end of the night!
>>
>>17362570
I have the same problem OP,
I'm 20 now and the first time I went to a club/bar was when a few of my classmates forced me to come with them when I just turned 18.

I still can't stand the noise, the amount of people and the fact most of them are not likeable, but what really helped me was not having high expectations.

The first time I went all my friends were like YEAH WEED DRUGS BOOZE CHICKS FUCKKKKKKK DICKS YEASS DUDESS and that gave me the feeling I had to be loud and agressive and drink a lot and pull chicks and all that.
Needless to say I woke up like shit

Next few times I just tried striking 5-minute conversations with people I felt like had genuinely something interesting to listen to, and since most people are a bit buzzed and some drunk, they'll be happy to tell you all about themselves.

So then you listen and if you find someone who you think is nice you fucking tell them and make sure you can spend more time with the people you think are nice and less time with the loud drunk betafuckbois.
>>
>>17362572
just part of the natural ebb and flow of social interactions my dude. Don't think of it as a "placeholder/fun person" dichotomy, it's just that some combos of people hit it off more quickly, etc. Further complicating this is that people are always unsatisfied, looking for the "next new cool thing", whether it's people or dumb apps and shit, people are petty. But don't take it personally! You ARE that "fun person" for plenty of people out there in the universe, and going to this party is a good first step to finding them.
>>
>>17362585
Not OP but yeah the other thing with bars (and this applies to parties too) is that some are shit and some are great. Most people who say "I hate bars" just haven't been to the right one yet. The difference between a shitty normie/yuppie bar and a cheap dive with cool people and music is astronomical, and these two places can often exist on the same block.
>>
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go, drink a little, try and have fun. I'm a bit of a low energy kind of guy so I hope it will be interpreted as the chilled and relaxed guy. Maybe I'll play some drinking games just to endear myself to a group...
>>
>>17362599
Most people who say 'I hate bars' are pretentious fucks
I can know because I was/am one

The difference between a good/bad bar is so hard to tell because of the different reasons for going there.

If you're like me or OP and want to be more sociable and get yourself out of loneliness, or even find a gf, you want to be with people your own age who you can actually get to know, so loud drugs/booze houseparties are off the table, there go half your options.

A place I have been to like 4 times now is great for that type of stuff, it's a bar with more space than average club
There's a pooltable and dancefloor and a stage and some tables scattered and other arcade type stuff around
In those kind of enviroments you have the advantage of alcoholic self-esteem/confidence, and a more easily available conversational topic like the games around.

Anyways sorry for the incoherent ramblings OP
Hope you got anything out of it and I hope you have a good time trying to make new friends :)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.