[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I mirror others speech patterns without trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 260-subordinate_mirroring_boss.jpg (51 KB, 522x346) Image search: [Google]
260-subordinate_mirroring_boss.jpg
51 KB, 522x346
I'll greentext my realization of this:

>me and white friend walking around my neighborhood
>black friend walks up and gives me dap
>"sup senpai"
>"whassup mane"
>walking away from said black friend
>white friend: "what the fuck was that"
>"what"
>"you just turned wigger out of nowhere"
>"I did?"

After that I payed closer attention to my speech patterns, and I do change my accent and vocabulary based on who I'm around, and I don't know why.
If I'm talking to myself, I have a generic, slightly mumbled voice, but when I'm with my black friends I use ebonics, and with my redneck family I have a drawl, and I didn't even realize it.
I've tried to avoid doing it since I realized I do it, but I don't seem to be able to. It's like knee jerk.
I think it has to do with me being pretty socially impared but I'm not sure.
Does this have a name? Like could this be a symptom of something?
>>
>>17361590
Lmao why does it say sempai? I typed senpai
>>
>>17361593
Lmfao *f a m
>>
>>17361590
A lot of people do. I don't like it whatsoever, nor do I like being slave to automatic reactions and intonation, so I worked on stripping that tendency when I was 18 or so. It is now only conscious, and rarely used.

I came in this thread expecting something different though. I do unintentionally take up and mimic people's speech patterns, and if I try, I can practically mimick their voice itself. Lisps are especially catchy, and I'm good at faking them. Listening to a lot of Modest Mouse puts in this zone. Never bothered to get rid of that tendency, but as I think about it, it's fading as well.

I think it's a habit the adolescent brain is biased towards on a hardware level in a good deal of people, and it's readily developed. If you don't like it, draw it into your conscious mind, and counteract it. Eventually strip it outright. No more yeah dude man etc, and feeling like an empty facade. Just the comfortable feeling of wilful and deliberate manners of self expression that may be crafted as you choose.
(my father did this as well)
>>
>>17361608
I kind of feel like I don't really have a default accent, I usually am around more white people (my immediate family), so I talk with a "white" accent more often. Most of my friends are African American, so I do tend to sound wigger when I'm not with my family. Since my current accent is whatever accent the person I'm talking to has, should I just pick one I like?
>>
>>17361645
>I kind of feel like I don't really have a default accent
I avoid thinking about this too much. Ultimately I do have a base state that appears to be blank and malleable, and the implication on self and identity is difficult to ignore. In my younger years I developed an easily splintering personality and would often feel as though I'd get stuck as the wrong person. The automatic process of mimicking applied to personality and outward expression as well. Caused a lot of misery trying to understand why.

You're probably very detached and don't, or cannot, rightly fit anywhere. I would stop floating, and drifting, and just let go. Focus on what's really valuable to you and watch as you settle around key pillars. Allow yourself to immerse in the moment and in a given task.

A lot of my problem was I hated myself and tried to achieve change by taking from my environment as using it to engineer something better. Anything to not be what I felt was "me", even though every me I made was no more nor less me than the last.
>>
>>17361666
I used to hate myself, but now the hate has kind of evolved (or devolved) into a constant dissatisfaction, paired with my anxiety issues, and my social impairment birthed my current dilema.

I think you nailed the detached part, especially in relation to my personality. I don't necessarily float or drift, rather tip toe, trying to avoid looking or sounding different, I guess. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "let go". Do you mean just stop caring about the opinions of others?

Also I don't know if this is worth noting, but I'm not faking my accents in an attempt to fit in, they come naturally. I just feel fake.
>>
>>17361590
I do this too. By why avoid it? I don't really understand the issue.
>>
>>17361748
It's rather jarring for people I know, like my white friend I was walking with. It also alludes to me being two faced, or disingenuous.
>>
>>17361775
I dunno. My accents switch up quite a bit depending on who I'm talking to and people around me just find it humorous. Two-faced, that's a first. I mean it's changing an accent not changing your beliefs.
>>
>>17361783
Well its not solely accents, it's vocabulary and body language. It pretty much looks like, from an outside perspective, I'm faking it to fit in.
>>
>>17361788
I'm the same way, exactly. I think you feel it sounds like you're trying too hard, or faking because of your white friends/upbringing. Especially as you say you never thought about it before. I don't have as many white friends/family as you despite being white, but my advice is not to worry about it.
>>
>>17361590
>gives me dap
Double anal penetration?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.