[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What incentive is there for marriage over just living with your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMAG0758_1.jpg (754 KB, 2304x4096) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0758_1.jpg
754 KB, 2304x4096
What incentive is there for marriage over just living with your bf/gf forever?
I keep seeing these people on my facebook constantly posting shit about marriage being the best thing that can ever happen to them.
I just don't get it?
All I can find is the benefit of medical decisions and social security payments.
And then some minor things such as lower car insurance and easier to get mortgage.
It feels like the negatives just outweigh the benefits, especially in the event of divorce.
>>
As you said, certain legal provisions and tax related matters.

If I were me, I would argue to get rid of marriage entirely. Simple registration system little different than a change of address.
>>
>>17359736
>All I can find is the benefit of medical decisions and social security payments.

bingo
>>
It permits you to have sex without offending Allah.
>>
>>17359736

Marriage is primarily a custom. People don't follow customs because of incentives, they do it to continue traditions that have become part of a shared culture.

To, "get it," you need to look at where marriage came from. Marriage used to be less about the joining of two people, and more about the joining of two families.

When families were run more like small corporations, it's clear to see why merging your corporation with another was a big deal, a move with potentially great rewards, but also a lot of risk.

The institution of marriage, with all its ceremony and ritual, helped to solidify the merger of two families, and snuff out any animosity that might cause the new, larger, family to waste time and resources with infighting.

Marriage has changed because society has changed. If it holds no value to you, that is no mark upon your character. But people can want to get married for a variety of social and cultural and yes, economic reasons.
>>
>>17359751
>The institution of marriage, with all its ceremony and ritual, helped to solidify the merger of two families, and snuff out any animosity that might cause the new, larger, family to waste time and resources with infighting.
I don't think that works as planned anymore.
>>
>>17359794
>a mostly religious ritual that's been around for a thousand years is no longer applicable in its standard form to modern day society

Gee, whoda thunk it?
>>
>>17359804
I think >>17359794 was specifically referring to stopping infighting amongst the "new" family. One only needs to look at the typical relationship with in-laws to know this is bullshit nowadays.
>>
>>17359736

There is no incentive to get married. The incentive is to find someone you want to be married to. If you fing that person, you will be able to answer your own question.

Unfortunately, the culture makes people so shallow these days that you may be out of luck.
>>
>>17359736

a lot of people think marriage is no longer valid simply because no one expects marriage to last from the outside.

that being said, 'something isn't beautiful because it lasts'.

now im not saying you need to get legit marrie,d but living a married lifestyle isn't bad if thats what your life wants and needs at the time.

i dont plan to ever get legally married. but gays had weddings and moved intogether for years before marriage was 'legal'. if i ever met the right guy, id go ahead and have the wedding and move in together.

but to be honest i doubt I'll ever get to that point in my life.
>>
Most people get married because they are following the lifescript and literally just don't know what to do with themselves.

The best is young couples who want to "settle down" from a life that in many ways hasn't even started yet.
>>
>>17360179
>something isn't beautiful because it lasts
No but we sure spend a shitload of resources preserving things that are beautiful and criminalize the destruction of a million year old rock formation.

Don't make real arguments based on movie quotes, they are intentionally designed to sound deeper than they are.
>>
>>17360141
This, all of my this
>>
OP just fyi- sometimes marriage can hurt everything you listed. For awhile I worked at a job where I made a lot of money, and my bf worked mostly under the table; he also had/has a lot of breathing problems and requires frequent allergy shots, a ventilator, a nebulizer, etc. Had we been married, I would have to pay for insurance for two people- not just myself and letting medicaid take care of the rest.

I am now in school- if my bf and I were married, he would be required to contribute to my education. This for me would be bad- I am under 24 and my dad is disabled, so I go to a state university 100% free. When I'm over 24 next year, I anticipate being done with school- but if I'm not his income would determine whether or not we could get married. (I don't want to lose my financial aid.) We are looking into buying a house, and don't mind putting it in one of our names; if we apply as single, we can qualify for affordable housing credits that would cover closing costs.

Finally, there's the issue of kids. Depending on your state, a family under a certain income might get reduced premium coverage that they wouldn't qualify for otherwise. And coming from someone in healthcare, have you ever wondered how really well dressed women with multiple kids have medicaid? If two people live together and there's no record of child support, the mom will qualify for medicaid for herself and her kids- possibly even food stamps. This last one- yeah it is trashy, but that's the extent that the marriage system is such a failure bureaucratically.
>>
Legal stuff. For example, joint ownership of things, permission to access bank accounts, forms, medical information and history, the ability to make decisions and arrangements on behalf of your spouse, or have them made in your behalf. If you do not have a will, I believe having a civil union instead kf a marriage means your partner receives none of your property upon death like they would if they were your spouse.

Civil unions are a thing, but marriage does smooth over a lot of legal stuff that civil unions do not cover.
>>
So your gf can spend tens of thousands of dollars on an expensive wedding to live out her princess fantasies.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.