[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey. I've got two choices in front of me; since the beginning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Army.jpg (314 KB, 1600x1233) Image search: [Google]
Army.jpg
314 KB, 1600x1233
Hey. I've got two choices in front of me; since the beginning of the year, I've been planning on going to community college for graphic design, however this would only land me an associates degree, and the college itself is a 30 mile trip away from where I live. On top of that, I don't have a car, and while I have some funds available to get one with some assistance ($700) I'm worried that it'll end up breaking down while I'm going to school, and the whole thing won't even be worth it.

Alternatively, I could sign my life away to the Army. It's been looking like a good option; I currently have no friends that aren't my family, I've pretty much eliminated my entire sexual orientation, so I'm not chasing after any women, I don't want to have kids or get married. I don't really care about dying, however I'm not one to have a quitter attitude. My motivations behind this potential decision are: 1 - the benefits you can get after being in the military, so I can actually do 4 years of school for significantly cheaper at a legitimate university - 2 - actually learning true discipline so I'm not just sitting around playing vidya all the time - 3 - having a greater appreciation towards life from being in a miserable situation for a few years.

I eventually want to have a career in art/graphic design, but in my 30s or 40s, like Bob Ross. tl;dr - is going into the military the right choice for me or should I risk going to school for a shitty degree right away?
>>
Anybody want to pitch in their two cents?
>>
Honestly you sound like you sold yourself on joining the military. But if you have issues with it still, how about a compromise and joining the reserve instead?
>>
>>17356456
This.
Reserves make it easier. Still get some GI bill benefits, 28 days liberty a month, still get to put "US Army" on a resume.
>>
Are you an amoral idiot, smart enough to shoot a gun but too stupid and immoral to ask (or care) why?

If so, then yes: the Army is the career you're looking for.
>>
>>17357047
I'm gonna have to say yes on that. We all die sooner or later, if my job is to shoot people then I have to expect the same to happen to me. It's the circle of death.
>>
I've enlisted in the army and I leave for basic in a few weeks. I chose to be a linguist and I now have 3 years paid for at UVM when I get out and all college courses are free when you are in. If you want to go for a grunt mos I think you can serve 2 years active and 6 after that on an inactive reserve status. Find a recruiter who wont sell you a load of bullshit. I got lucky but don't fuck yourself over through a lack of research because you are signing your life away.
>>
Also with the conap program in the army you can choose a school to go to, then decide on your major, and the education centers on base will help you with your course selections
>>
>>17356094
Colleges have ride share programs where you can carpool with other students even if it's more than 30 miles away. Just agreeing to pay for gas.

Get your associates, there are many gd jobs that will take it. You're better off getting experience on the job but you'll benefit from a bachelor's.
>>
why the army specifically, why not any of the other branches?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.