[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Signing up for college , 7 years after high school...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 500x453
I've put it off long enough and finally going back to school , I just need to take the assessment test and hopefully go to classss in fall. It's been years since I've done anything school related and was wondering if to just go for it or actually take a couple weeks and study up for it and prolonging it? Any tips btw?
>>
>>17354959
I went back to school when I was in my 20s.

Do some studying first. It's good for reminding you of the basics and for also getting you back into the feeling of being a student.

It really depends on what your'e applying to.

Also, don't worry about feeling old.
>>
>>17354969
I'm 25.... Kinda latish. Applying for undeclared lol , just want to give school a try , and hopefully find a career I enjoy along the road.
>>
>>17354985
Try to plan for something.
I went in like you and graduated with something mostly useless.
Had a grand ol time, but I should have been more on point from the beginning.

If you're not the academic type who loves essays and reading and tests, I'd probably go to a trade school instead.
Learn plumbing or electrical work.
Far better pay and job opportunities than anything you can get at a university.

Unless you got into business shit.
>>
>>17354997
I'm actually in the union for construction , doing labor at the moment. Getting paid 19.44 , in a year or so will be making 34 an hour. It's not something I enjoy tho.....it's not exactly about the money...
>>
>>17355009
Jesus that's good money.
>>
>>17354959
never feel ashamed for going to school later than others. people accomplish different things in life. I personally went on to pursue work instead of school, and didn't go back until I was 23. I'm 25 now, and still in school and don't regret it for a second. Just because you go later doesn't mean you're missing out on something; in fact, for some people I think it's better to wait because you get to understand the importance of actually going to school instead of toiling away at a job that makes you miserable.

I have two years left but I'm working on a degree in biochem forensics and will have a bunch of doors open to me, plus work experience under my belt. I take things much more seriously than I believe I would have, and you will too.

My biggest advice to you would be to see if your school offers pre classes, I took prealgebra/calculus and preenglish classes to get back in the swing of things. Other than that, you need to actually read the material the day it is assigned, or alot an hour a day to going over your books.

Good luck, anon, and congratulations on deciding to go back.
>>
>>17355009
my brother works construction, and he completely ruined his back and has been without work for years, living on disability.

sometimes hard labor isn't the way to go, so I can definitely understand where you're coming from not caring about how good the money is if you can't enjoy your health and life.

You can always become a contractor with your experience, and instead have people work for you so you don't have to do the labor.
>>
>>17355044
Yeah man, I'm honestly with the same mentality now , as in I want to better myself and take this seriously, it's not about having fun anymore. I'm just honestly scared not knowing which path to take.... Should I stay in the union or go college or look for a trade school. I plan on fitting both at for awhile. I honestly appreciate your feedback , they actually do have pre classes everyday. I'm go tomorrow.

>>17355054
It's actually not too bad in the union , don't get me wrong you do get nerve damage in the back.... But I plan on having a kid in a year or 2 and want to really make a better life for myself and my future kid. That's the thing tho , I have less than a year in construction , since I'm moved around a lot , I've learned multiple things but not enough to run my own thing.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.