[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it still possible to live in LA as a waiter while you write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 1400x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 1400x550
Is it still possible to live in LA as a waiter while you write scripts?
>>
>>17354254
I dont live there.
But of any career/industry ever, its seems like Hollywood is the most 'who do you know' of any career.
>>
>>17354254
Potentially. Do you have a trust fund or parents who'll give you a monthly allowance?
>>
>>17354254
I'll piggyback on OP. Is it possible to live in ANY city as a waiter?

I desperately want to escape my parents, but it seems like it's impossible to live anywhere on min. wage these days unless you have roommates.
>>
of course. Without people who write scripts, we'd have no waiters, and that's not me being cheeky, that's just the economical truth
>>
>>17354254

yes. many many many people do this.

my best friend and his gf do it but with acting instead. he works as a waiter at buffalo wild wings, she works as a shift manager at starbucks, and they have a two bedroom apartment in noho.

i live in hollywood, my nice two bedroom apartment with a view of the sign is about 1520 a month. i only pay half cuz i sublet the second room, so its not that bad.

you probs have to work your way up in terms of living situation. while 1500 was the going rate for a two bedroom six years ago, times have changed.

you may need to live as far as glendale or los feliz or whatever where its cheaper.
>>
>>17354903
do we live in different cities bro, or is glendale not 8 fucking miles from LA while los feliz is in central? equating the two gives people the wrong idea, don't you think?
>>
>>17354917

i guess, but i know plenty of people in glendale who do the hollywood thing. it is why i said 'work you rway up' but its all los angeles.

im mostly throwing out what little i remember of the current prices of housing, but the point is that it is possible. everyone does it. again you might have to work your way up in terms of housing but its all possible.
>>
>>17354877
what's wrong with roommates? met my best friend and the love of my life while being forced to edure roommates(they're brother/sister twins, i try not to dwell on the implications too much)
>>
>>17354965
I guess as a sheltered person who's lived with his parents his whole life, it's hard to imagine being comfortable with a roommate. Like, it's a total stranger living in your home. They could steal your shit and you'd have no one but yourself to blame. They could bail without notice and leave you scrambling to scrounge the rent.

It just sounds shitty unless you have a friend willing to split rent with you.
>>
>>17355000
i'm gonna tell you a big secret bo. here in LA, you'll encounter worse things than a lack of complete privacy. the City hates it when we reveal our secrets, stifles the flow of tourists, but I got you back
>>
>>17355018
I currently living in Washington DC and can't imagine LA is much worse. Everyone is a beautiful, vapid trust fund baby and there's nothing to do because everything is homogenized big box stores and franchise boutiques.
>>
>>17355000

if ur dumb maybe.

if ur splitting the rent and both on the lease than they are legally obligated to pay their half. if they walk out on that, its they're credit and possibly their parents (assuming they have a co signer) on the line.

assuming you are renting your own place and just sublet than you are still fine. just make sure you get first and last up front. thats waht i do. if they ever walked out, bam got a full months rent right htere and thirty days is exactly the amount of time to find a replacement.

as for getting your stuff stolen, you have their identity, their cell phone, their everything. this isnt the 80s, just call the cops and explain.

jesus you make it sound like everyone who moved out had this happen to them
>>
>>17355037
That's the thing -- I would be dumb when it comes to renting. I don't know anything about that world and I'm a non-confrontational autist who lets people walk all over him.
>>
>>17355032
>600,000 white people

>comparing DC to LA

I like you kid, you shouldn't be raped and robbed on your first day here, but you will be
>>
>>17355056
I mean, I'm sure LA is a lot more dangerous, but have you ever been to DC? There are black crackheads and babbling homeless on every street corner. Some screaming woman threw an empty bottle of vodka at me the other day.
>>
>>17355099
maybe you should have nodded when she explained to you the intricacies of the illuminati conspiracy instead of acting like you don't even give a shit!
>>
>>17355032
Clearly you aren't a DC native. Yeah, mostly the people who move in and out every 2/4/6 years are a bunch of pampered shitheads who will only associate with you if they think you have something they can use. The LA attitude is very, very similar with an extra veneer of pretend friendliness. After being in the LA area for 15 years, the majority of my friends are people from the east coast or midwest.

>>17355049
And you're determined to stay that way, right?

Just try to hide away in your parents' basement all your life instead of trying to learn and grow as a person.

>>17355056
You're a moron.

>>17355099
DC you have to worry about black people everywhere. LA you only have to worry about black people in areas that you're probably not going to be going into very much. You have to get used to watching out for the Latinos. If you somehow end up out in San Bernardino or Riverside, you have to worry about the white people. SB county has some of the absolute worst white people in the USA, and I say that having spent a lot of time in the deep south and Texas.
>>
>>17355153
>And you're determined to stay that way, right?

>Just try to hide away in your parents' basement all your life instead of trying to learn and grow as a person.

I get you're doing the tough love thing, but clearly I'd like to change my situation, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Trouble is, I have no money, no friends, no prospects, can't land a job, etc.

I'm not exactly in a position to up and leave to some far away city and start improving myself in trial by fire situations.
>>
>>17355176
No, this isn't me doing tough love, this is me being dismissive of a loser who wants to stay a loser. You don't need to give me excuses, it's your life. If you want to live like a loser, that's your choice.
>>
File: 17eaut.jpg (15 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
17eaut.jpg
15 KB, 468x351
>>17354254
Seth MacFarlane, go away. Your jokes are stale.
>>
>>17355192
Alright, man. I'm just curious what you honestly think is within my power to do. Because I'm not here to whine; I'm open to suggestions on /adv/ (advice) so far all you've done is be an ass.
>>
>>17355208
not the guy, but where are you now? where do you live?
>>
>>17355275
I live with my family in DC. Haven't worked since 2012. I'm 26 and all I want in life is this aimless idea of living on my own and far away from my parents.
>>
File: 1461979411720.jpg (500 KB, 728x640) Image search: [Google]
1461979411720.jpg
500 KB, 728x640
>>17354254
>>
>>17355208
If you live in an area that's so economically depressed that not even McJobs are easily available, you are going to need to be persistent to get a job. Be that guy who's constantly coming by looking for work, and when something comes up, people are going to think of you and the chances that someone will hire you increases. Are you unable to do this because you're spending your time on something more useful?

There are areas where the need for labor is guaranteed: migrant farm work is one of those. We're in the middle of fruit picking season in the USA. A lot of employers don't like hiring whites because most whites are lazy, not serious about working, and quit when they realize that the work is difficult, but the jobs are there.

I mean shit, you could even do what millions of unimaginative kids without good prospects have been doing for decades and join the military. Get some income, get a guaranteed opportunity at an education.

If you have no prospects for a decent job because you have no education, then fucking go educate yourself. You don't need to be a genius to browse job ads, see what might be a good thing to learn, and then learn it. You don't even need to pay for formal education, though certainly formal education can be useful to demonstrate to someone that you're not a dope. There are plenty of free resources on the internet or at public libraries. Are you unable to do this because you're spending your time on something more useful?

If you don't know something about something, and you think you need to know it, then you should be trying to learn it, not making excuses why WAAAAAAH I CAN'T I'M AUTISTIC, I DON'T KNOW THIS STUFF, SOMEONE NEEDS TO HOLD MY HAND TO SHOW ME WHAT TO DO.
>>
It's possible but honestly, the chances of you being discovered are insanely low. If you really feel like you could make something out of it then go ahead, but make some concrete steps towards a different career as a backup.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.