[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I'd appreciate some advice and I have no-one else
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Carrie.jpg (18 KB, 395x368) Image search: [Google]
Carrie.jpg
18 KB, 395x368
Hey /adv/ I'd appreciate some advice and I have no-one else to ask.

I'm 24 years old, soon turning 25. Since I was 22 I've been working for a small tech company in an entry-level role which involves little more than data entry.

Would it be stupid and naive to quit my job without another job lined up? The idea of travelling doesn't appeal to me and I feel too old now to do the sort of things someone younger could get away with without appearing to be creepy or desperate in some way. I have ambitions in life, though they are not work-related, but my current job is so irrelevant to said ambitions and is really wearing me down (I work from 8:30am- 5:30pm with a 30 minute commute each way, which I realize isn't particularly long, but still I really don't want to be doing this in a year's time).

Am I being ungrateful?

Am I being too demanding?

Am I naively thinking that quitting this job and having some time off will remedy my mental issues?

I have no friends and no girlfriend. My father left when I was young and we have never been close. My brother was kicked out when I was a kid and he and my father each have their own businesses. My mother is a kind woman but she worked the same job all her life and now lives with her partner. I no longer experience happiness in any significant sense. I suffer in work and I live in a series of apartments which are too loud and which are often shared with unpleasant people. I accept that my suffering and failure is down to my own mistakes and poor decisions, but I really do feel like I've trapped myself here.

Thank you.
>>
bumping for a response
>>
>>17350346
Kill yourself,

I am not being mean, its just my life sucks too and its what I plan on doing tonight.
>>
>>17350346

Sucks to be you. Not being sarcastic.

You probably know what to do. You're just looking for permission to do it.

I give you permission.
>>
The hour commute is probably what is killing you. Keep working and look for something closer in the mean time. You think you go through the motions now in life, try applying for jobs and realizing that 3 weeks have gone by and you didn't even notice.

Also it is worth mentioning but go to a therapist. I have MDD and it wasn't life changing, but the pills at least got me out of my head enough to where I could pickup a hobby.
>>
>>17350405
It's not permission I need. I just don't want to quit my job, take some time off and struggle to find work like I did when I left university.

>>17350415
I have lived within 10 minutes of work before and I am only in this place for two months since it was cheaper than usual. But even then I wanted to quit. I get home with a headache every day and I just feel like I'm living as securely as I can, which I realize a lot of people appreciate but I don't want to waste my life this way. And I may visit a therapist but I don't know if it's free or not. I have considered admitting myself to a psych ward since I really do feel very despondent at times but I don't want to be forced to take medication.
>>
>>17350427

Man you be careful with that psychward stuff. I just got out a year ago from a week stay and it helped me dick. Like I will admit you may have depression problems, but the doctors are going to see you are somewhat stable (albeit depressed) and spend most of their time with the less stable meth heads and schizophrenics. You will spend a week in a ward about the size of a doctor's waiting room with smelly people and have to make chitchat with them as the nurses won't talk to you outside of taking your vitals twice a day. Also the TV is bogarted so expect to watch Storage Wars for the entire week you are in there.

Most states have cheap mental health clinics. The time between your visits will be a month at least, but it is pretty cheap. I can understand about living securely, but man I am in the same spot you are but 4 years ahead of you. Hate IT and need a change and etc. See here (http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/55542845#p55542889)

Are you in anyway legally disabled? Like ADD or tism or anything? Your state also has stuff setup where the disabled can get job counseling or job placement. My MDD qualified me for this and got me both some money for therapy and some job counseling years ago.
>>
>>17350462
Hello. I am not legally disabled, no. I probably have autism though, in a non-meme sense. I hope things turn out well for you mate.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.