[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/. So I played a show recently and afterwards I was told
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: andamnbruh.jpg (136 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
andamnbruh.jpg
136 KB, 500x340
Hey /adv/. So I played a show recently and afterwards I was told that barely anyone could hear my vocals. I was actually singing pretty loudly too. Apparently my vocals in my monitors were turned up way louder than they were on the PA. If you went to see a local band and heard this, would you give them a second shot or dismiss them? I'm just worried about getting another show after that disaster. I was singing all passionate and jumping around and stuff too, but barely anyone could hear me.
>>
>>17347948

>If you went to see a local band and heard this, would you give them a second shot or dismiss them?

I think you're thinking a little bit too deeply into one show. If you're a good musician and you put on a good show people will come to see you. If you aren't, they won't. Thats all you need to know.
>>
>>17347948
Probably not. Was there no way to double check the acoustics before you began? Sound check?
>>
>>17347953
Nah there was no sound check and when I plugged in earlier just before I played my vocals seemed loud enough, but I guess I was just hearing the monitors.
>>
>>17347948
Hey anon, I am in a pretty established metal band that's played a lot of DIY and professional venue shows alike. Bad sound happens to anybody, even the best pro bands, and honestly most of the time the audience are filthy casuals who don't really notice anything more than the energy you're giving them (in terms of performance). Some sound guys, especially the ones in big nightclubs, are still in the "Kick and Vocals only" philosophy and it totally kills the sound quality of the music, but that's just how it goes unfortunately. Makes the show total dogshit but it only ruins it for audiophiles and musicians in the audience, who can be a small percentage depending on your genre.

There are things you can do about this; you can play venues with better sound, you can have your band turn the fuck down (if you're too loud, and you need to be honest with yourselves as to whether or not that's the case), and you can do your best to learn more about audio engineering to more accurately gauge what's going on.

It's also worth noting that the audience is not going to hear shit through the PA if they're up against the stage. The ideal sound is right next to the sound guy's console.

In general whether or not you get another show has to do with the turnout you drew and/or the bands willing to play with you who draw. Has little to do with how you sounded/played any particular night.

In short: I wouldn't worry about it too much. Focus on performing well and feeling the energy, and then tweak your sound as best you can with your band, but always acknowledge the possibility that a sound guy or a poorly designed venue can fuck it up. A lot of the time, your audience won't care either way.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.