[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good, concrete, self-help books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: travel_HD.jpg (205 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
travel_HD.jpg
205 KB, 1980x1080
Since my ex broke up with me, I seem to be having an incredible urge to develop myself in the most myriad of ways possible. Travelling, challenging myself educationally, walking, reading about life, etc.

Therefore, I was wondering if /adv/ has some suggestions for good self-help books. I read The Power of Now every now and then when I feel shit, which helps me.
>>
>>17345787
Read
> No more Mr nice guy
> How to make friends and influence people
> the book of pook
> the book of pook and mill
> starting strength
> shit my dad says (not self improvement)
>>
>>17345820
That's way too much shit to read.

OP, you want to focus on taking action, not just mentally masturbating with self-help shit.

Read No More Mr. Nice guy and then buy a copy of starting strength and read it while finding a good coach who can teach you to do what it says.

You'll be 10,000x better off if you do just those two things than if you read a bunch of books and do nothing.
>>
>>17345820
I second How to win friends and influence people.

On self-help book I liked. Every other one I've seen is just snake oil bullshit that keeps saying shit like "be the best you you can be!"

This book is more of a psychology book imo. There aren't any generic platitudes, just concrete things you can do to be more persuasive.
>>
Life is Tremendous.
>>
>>17345820
>>17346426
>>17346522
>>17346550

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll be getting a copy of No More Mr Nice Guy to read on my backpack trip.
>>
Man 2.0 - Engineering the Alpha

Also, I just returned from backpacking around the Big Island of Hawaii for a months and I highly recommend. Easy to do on a budget and plenty of work trade/WWOOF opportunities to spend less money.
>>
>>17347314
I will be going to Peru for 1,5 months. Just totally immersing myself in another strange culture. Gonna try and pick up Spanish lessons there to try and immerse myself even more!
>>
Nice! Enjoy the trip. Traveling is a great way to learn about the world, yourself, and to further personal growth.
>>
>>17347356
That's what I was thinking, too. Peru will be another challenge for me, because I am Spanish illiterate and have never been to South America before, let alone, on my own.

But, still, coming out of one's comfort zone, huh.
>>
Once you break out of it, you will see it wasn't all that bad. Keep an open mind and be respectful when traveling anywhere. When you actually show an interest in learning about people and their culture rather than just being a tourist, people will welcome you with open arms and be happy to help you. There's really not much to worry about. Granted, there are dangers everywhere and those dangers vary from place to place, so just educate yourself prior to arriving and upon arrival - you know, certain places to avoid and all that jazz. I've been all over the US, to Guam, and to Saudi Arabia so far. Haven't had a problem. South America is next for me.
>>
>>17347479
Thanks for your comforting words!
>>
Big Magic is a great self help book for creativity.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.