[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change & baby on the way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1453431823095.png (739 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1453431823095.png
739 KB, 800x600
tl;dr 25 years old, married 3+ years, baby on way and made redundant at career-type job. Going for worker retraining at local community college. Any advice?

Hi /adv/, like the tl;dr says I'm at a crossroads for my life.

My wife and I have been married for 3 years and together for 6. We recently found out we're expecting our first. At 25 this seems like a good time, however I recently lost my management position and all the benefits that went with it. Instead of taking unemployment I took a part time job at night. Knowing that this isn't a career I went to the local community college and found out that I'm eligible for paid worker retraining. They have a Cybersecurity 2 year course I would be able to take for basically free. Knowing that is a good field now and in the near future I plan on taking that course.

What should I expect from a Cybersecurity course? What about being a new father working part time and going to college full time? I am nervous but it's exciting to be growing.

Pic unrelated, I'm in WA though.
>>
>>17335968

Married at 22? You dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>17335974
>t. I've literally never seen a vagina
>>
>>17335968
so have you looked at management positions elsewhere?
does your wife have a higher earning potential?
do you own a house?
>>
>>17336019
>so have you looked at management positions elsewhere?
I have but in my town it's pretty limited. I'm keeping my eyes open. Here, working for the City, a mill, or a logging company are your common top-tier jobs outside of owning a business. On the other hand its very cheap and more or less very friendly.
>does your wife have a higher earning potential?
She does not. I've always been the breadwinner in the relationship but she can hold a job and typically does really well
>do you own a house?
No but I'd love to. It's one of our goals in the near future.

>>17335974
Thanks for the advice

Back OT, my management experience was in hospitality, mostly for hotel operations and a little bit of bar/restaurant management. As much as I liked it I wanted to try a career change anyway and since I was given a mostly free education option I figured we could buckle down and struggle for 2 years to get something good in Cybersecurity.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.