[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Jews here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Star.png (88 KB, 2000x2308) Image search: [Google]
Star.png
88 KB, 2000x2308
The past few weeks, without any real reason that I can think of, I've felt an enormously strong pull to Judaism.

I was raised Christian, Christian private schools through my youth, married by a Christian pastor, but I haven't directly practiced since my youth and I have a ton of doubts about Christianity as an organized religion. While the LGBTQ movement has annoyed me due to the constant bombardment of "look at me, I'm proud', I hate Christianity's views on those people. I hate how I'm told that I'm nothing but sin, and how my life should be nothing more than to sing praises to the lord. I feel like the religion is meant to break me down, rather than raise me up. I've had pastors tell me to just "speak in tongues" to feel "closer to God," which is just absurd. I just haven't had a good experience with the -organized- part of Christianity, nor some of the doctrine.

Then I look at Judaism. No New Testament, which is where most of my issues arise. Reform Jewish temples with female Rabbis that openly welcome any creed, color, or gender. A focus on accepting others and helping everyone instead of judging and hating and accusing of sin constantly. But, then there's the Shabbat, which seems to be absurdly restrictive to the point where I couldn't function as the father figure in my family one day a week. This is something that, if I started to go to a local temple and started to immerse myself in the faith, I'd want my wife to feel welcome or to be unaffected. I wouldn't want to be completely useless one day out of the week, though I'm 100% okay with the idea of "no work" for a day, even if it's paying bills, for example. I also have a son at 20 months old and need to figure out if he will have any religious influences growing up, though I won't put him through the same private school forced bullshit I dealt with.

Anyone here a Jew? Would anyone have some insight to share with me?
>>
File: 1467662994638.png (283 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1467662994638.png
283 KB, 408x408
>>17333780
>Would anyone have some insight to share with me?
THE GOYIM KNOW.

SHUT IT DOWN.
>>
File: 1411325844662s.jpg (9 KB, 125x92) Image search: [Google]
1411325844662s.jpg
9 KB, 125x92
>>17333786
I honestly completely forgot about the goyim shit on 4chan, and I've been coming here since 2006. I have no clue why I thought I'd get any legitimate answers, holy shit I'm dumb sometimes hahahaha

I can't even blame you for shitposting in this instance.
>>
File: 1467130964519.png (124 KB, 789x299) Image search: [Google]
1467130964519.png
124 KB, 789x299
>>17333797
Fuck, stop being reasonable, you're making me feel bad for trying to shit up your thread now.

I can't even offer any help, as I know literally nothing about religion.
>>
File: 98365.jpg (44 KB, 350x404) Image search: [Google]
98365.jpg
44 KB, 350x404
>>17333780
>I've felt an enormously strong pull to Judaism.
>>
You'll need to get your penis mutilated.
>>
>>17333780
Judaism is, as most abrahamic religions, more of an umbrella term to all of its sub-branches. We have had a lot of reforms and a bulk of religious works/texts to further aid our "interpretation" of the Torah (Maimonides and Rashi were a few great writers in the pantheon of Judaic rabbi's)

From my experience with the religion, Judaism is also more material and focused on the present and closeby future, in contrast to Xtianity where everything you do now will be judged when you go to heaven (or hell).

Go talk to a rabbi about your interest, but know that there are a lot of streams of Judaism, from the meme-tier Reform Judaism, to the crazy penguins that ghettoise themselves.

My advice: go talk to a conservative rabbi, and stay away from the polar opposites of the religion (liberal reform judaism VS extreme ultra-orthodoxism)
>>
>>17333824
No hard feelings, I literally asked for it lol. Had a mighty fuckin chuckle.

>>17333836
Some extra sheckels from converting wouldn't be a problem with me.

>>17333861
My scar itches every day. That doctor had some serious Michael J Fox shakes.
>>
>>17333880
One of the only local temples here are a "Reform" congregation. Hmm. I appreciate that the focus is on the present though, on your actions in this world, not just being judged in the next.

Admitting this to someone like a Rabbi would probably see me ostracized immediately, but a few months ago I took some LSD, and needless to say it was a lot more than I should have. I was hoping for visuals and new perspectives and growth through introspective epiphanies. I wanted to see the world differently.

I ended up being so drugged that I couldn't hold on to my consciousness. My senses were completely screwed; I'd look at my iPad to read something, every single letter was spiraling, every single color flaring, I literally couldn't read. I'd try to think of something to say and I wouldn't know if I was talking or not because I didn't hear sound the same way. I tried to close my eyes and go to sleep but instead of rest it felt like I was living in a world made of geometric patterns. I asked for it, essentially, I just didn't understand what I was asking for. I realized it wasn't for me, it's nothing I'll ever try again, but that isn't what stuck with me. (continued)
>>
>>17333880
>>17333910 (continued)

What stuck with me is that my "self" is, from everything that I can observe, completely based on chemical reactions in my brain. I have an idea of who I am, what I like, how I talk, how I eat, what I like, where my vision is poor, etc. That all changes if my brain changes in any way. I was not myself when I was on that dosage of LSD, and nothing "I" wanted could change that.

In trying to see this world differently, I learned that my body isn't just a shell or a keeper of "me" until it dies and I move on. My body -is- me. I'm my body. When my body dies, anything could happen, there could very well be an afterlife, but I can't believe in a religion that focuses solely on the "eternity after this life." Whatever religion I settle on, it has to have an immediate focus, but with longterm ambition. I can't weigh every decision I make in the life I know exists based on if I'll be judged positively or negatively in a possible next life, that supposedly lasts for all eternity. There's no winning that game.
>>
>>17333914
Judaism does have an afterlife, or at least a concept of it (Sheol/Olam Haba), I'm not very informed on this topic though so again, a rabbi would know better.

Telling him that you had an epiphany after a strong fever would yield a better result, and tell him that even though you're not planning to make an inference just yet, you'd like some information about the religion and its tenets and then later on consider converting.

The more strict branches of Judaism encourage their Rabbi's to shoo away the potential convert 3 times to see if he/she is serious and devoted to becoming a Jew.

A reform Rabbi can at least explain the basics though, and they're way more open, but beware of any differing/more liberal interpretations that can misguide you or render you disinterested must you want to become a more conservative Jew. The namesake in itself is pretty evident, "reform" Judaism.
>>
>>17333780

>I'd want my wife to feel welcome or to be unaffected.

Doesn't work that way. If you're in a relationship both go or neither do.

>I wouldn't want to be completely useless one day out of the week, though I'm 100% okay with the idea of "no work" for a day, even if it's paying bills, for example

You don't pay bills on Shabbos you idiot. It's a day of rest for a reason, and you aren't fucking "useless." You're following G-d's commandment, praying, reading, meditating on G-d. It's not some kind of bullshit write-off day.

Are you sure you know the first thing about Judaism, because it sure doesn't sound like it.

If you do manage to get someone to convert you, which will be easy in a Reform (read: Christianity without the pipe organ) shul, you will forever be Mr. Christian the Convert. Your children certainly won't be Jewish because your wife wasn't Jewish at the time.

You won't be able to make allyah because you copped out and did a worthless reform conversion.

If you're serious be prepared to spend around $5k on classes, dues, contributions to this cause or the other, and to be seen as a freak for the rest of the time you decide to come around. Of course they don't tell you that at the onset, but that's about what it ads up to.

You'll also learn in a hurry just how racist Jews are.

Have fun learning Hebrew. See you and your shiksa wife at shul, goyim.
>>
>>17333977
You misread what I was saying there.

>I'm 100% okay with the idea of "no work" for a day

The quotes around "no work" implying that I understand that concept not applying specifically to work as in a job.

>even if it's paying bills, for example

So, one example is that I know paying bills would be "work" and break Shabbat expectations/laws.

>I wouldn't want to be completely useless...

As in, I couldn't flip a light switch. I couldn't drive a car. I couldn't write a note to myself. I couldn't take a phone call. I couldn't turn on a TV show for my kid. I couldn't make him lunch, and many other things. I would be useless to my family for a day, because of the restrictions. I understand that the restrictions are designed for rest, but the real world obligations of life in 2016 simply do not allow for that level of disconnect.

I'm not sure why you read everything I've said in the most negative light possible.

I think that you were referring to "Aliyah," in which case I wouldn't move to Israel. My family, my wife's family, and the way I support my family are all here. Real world obligations simply would not allow for it.

You seem really angry. Why are you so angry, anon?
>>
>>17333780
You should look into Sikhism. They're all about equality and shit like that, except you can actually be part of a badass warrior culture and not a limp wristed kike.
>>
>>17333914
Look into Taoism. I'd explain it but you sound smart enough to find your own way and that's really hire it should be.
I don't know anything about Judaism by the way. Not sure how it'll fit with your realization that the soul of a function of the organic brain, what with the higher power and rules and shit.
>>
>>17333780
>While the LGBTQ movement has annoyed me due to the constant bombardment of "look at me, I'm proud', I hate Christianity's views on those people.
>Then I look at Judaism. No New Testament, which is where most of my issues arise.
Honestly, OP, I find this fascinating. Most dissatisfied Christians, especially along the axes you mention, say that most of their issues are with the Old Testament, not the with the New.

Could you please elaborate? It sounds as though you have some very, very atypical lines of argument to bring to the table, and I'd really like to hear them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.