[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I fucked? Don't think I'm ever going to be happy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Miseryfilm.jpg (593 KB, 936x1320) Image search: [Google]
Miseryfilm.jpg
593 KB, 936x1320
Happiness seems impossible. I'm 30, never been in a real relationship. In love with someone but we can't be together, been in love once before but it didn't work out. I hate a lot of people and the world depresses me. What I have going for me is a decent income and a few good friends.

Am I fucked? Have you ever felt like you'll never be happy? What can I do?
>>
Why can't you be with her? Maybe she could help you
>>
Be happy for what you have.
>>
Same situation. No matter how social I am and out in public there are two girls, one that I love but cannot be with and one where it didn't work out, that could fill this emptiness in my being. Every week is a total crawl to go out and get nothing in return and no results.
>>
>>17331687
She could, it's not my choice we're bit together. It's her situation.

>>17331690
I try to focus on my blessings, it's why I mentioned some of them. I just can't seem to shake the cloud of melancholy from over me. I've not been happy for a long time, maybe ever. Right now I'm miserable.
>>
Try to focus on a hobby, start a project. The amount of work along the result will make you feel proud of yourself and probably happy for a short time. While working you won't even have much time think about something else if you're focused.
>>
>>17331698
That's so vague, mind to elaborate?
>>
Anon, a lot of people misunderstand happiness. It is not some far off goal that takes many years to obtain. Happiness is satisfaction with your life. If you're satisfied with your life, you will be happy.

If you're not satisfied with what you have? Just know that no amount of material goods can bring happiness. As soon as you get one thing, you'll already be pining for the next one. Pursue whatever brings you joy. It can be anything but don't give a fuck about what anybody else tells you it should be.Happiness is internal and different for everyone.

I'd also advise against looking to a relationship to be your source of happiness. It can be a single source of happiness out of many, but it should NOT be your sole source of happiness. Depending on another person for your happiness is unhealthy and frankly places far too large of a burden on the other person.
>>
>>17331709
That's great advice and I've thought about it. I have no idea what I could embark on but I'll give it more thought. I am going to try and read more and maybe start to write once I've read enough.
>>
>>17331713
Don't worry, I haven't romanticised happiness. I'm not a materialistic person at all, I've never sought happiness from things, I'd probably be happier if that could give me pleasure. Nothing gives me joy, I know that sounds like I'm putting up barriers for myself, but it's true to the beat of my knowledge. Your last paragraph mirrors perfectly what I've always thought so I hope there'd be no danger of me going down that road.
>>
Learn to enjoy the silence of your own. Have you ever walked in the woods sat down and listened to the birds simply to realize how wonderful of a feeling it is to be alone.
>>
>>17331744
If you're not feeling joy from anything in your life, have you considered that you may be depressed?
>>
Time to start a bad habit. Do you smoke weed? cause in my area you could easily get some 18-26 year olds. Drinking is also a good habit, slowly kills you why numbing the pain.

Sorry I'm not really in a position to give advice.
>>
>>17331744
Don't give up just yet anon, smile and watch the sun shine! Happiness is in constant change just like Heraclitus said. You never step into the same river twice. Try to read about philosophy. Some of the idea might change your perception and help you find your own happiness.
>>
>>17331802
I have. I don't know how I'd know for sure though.

I've read about having trouble getting out is bed is a big sign. Some days I stay in bed most of the day and other days work is the only reason I get out of bed and leave the house.

I wouldn't want to take drugs, is there anything else a doctor could offer me. I assume they don't offer counseling on the NHS to people to walk in and say "I'm sad all the time".
>>
If you subordinate your happiness to relationships, then how fragil your happines will be.

Maybe stopping to judge your life based in cultural stablished moral, I dont know.
>>
>>17331811
I drink a lot. Weed came and gone years ago, I'm not into it.

>>17331823
I've always found philosophy out of my reach. I consider myself relatively intelligent but I've not been able to grasp much if it. Is there anything you'd recommend a beginner? I've not given up and I'd never kill myself. There have been days where if I could decide to not wake up the next day I would've. It's passive, not active.
>>
>>17331849
I don't. Did you read the thread? This is much more than that.
>>
>>17331850
Start reading about the basics of Stoic philosophy or get into Taoism.
>>
>>17331877
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.