[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people think life is a gift? Do most people enjoy life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 1318108779291.png (127 KB, 452x558) Image search: [Google]
1318108779291.png
127 KB, 452x558
Why do people think life is a gift?

Do most people enjoy life?
>>
Most of them never think about it. They're just animals that are born, follow their instincts their whole life, and die before even realizing it.
>>
>>17315140
Cause most people drink and fuck a lot more than us
>>
File: 1319352675704.png (36 KB, 152x201) Image search: [Google]
1319352675704.png
36 KB, 152x201
>>17315143

Really? How'd you come to that
>>
>>17315140
It technically is. Do you know how lucky you are to be alive right now. That everything in existence worked out in your favor for you to be alive. Don't waste it pondering how sad life is because that would be a waste. Let me ask you a question, do you think there a point in life or that you are here?
>>
>>17315140
Yes, they do. They may not fully realise their potential, but yes, life is a net positive for them.

What's getting you down?
>>
File: 1336960880301.jpg (8 KB, 126x140) Image search: [Google]
1336960880301.jpg
8 KB, 126x140
>>17315147

And everyone else is miserable?

>>17315152

I don't see any reason why life has to be important to everybody. But I can understand that experiencing living might be a rare thing.

>>17315154

I like that you put it as a net positive that's a better way of saying it. What potential are they missing out on?
>>
>>17315152

It's not like we're special or something. Something like 150 billion humans have existed throughout history.
>>
>>17315164
They miss out on potential usually due to small errors of thought. E.g. falling into analysis paralysis, or generally overthinking things. Or believing what they want is impossible to get, so they don't try, etc.

That is to say, their life could be better than it already is.
>>
>>17315166

I've never thought of that. Anything else to say?

>>17315170

But say that an improvement doesn't interest someone, or a case where there's genuinely no room for it
>>
>>17315186
There's never no room for it. And if they have no want for improvement, they're already fully satisfied with the way their life is.
>>
File: 1303138574448.gif (892 KB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
1303138574448.gif
892 KB, 240x192
>>17315193

You seem very optimistic , I envy you
>>
>>17315195
I'm not deliberately so, my thoughts are what I consider realistic.

You can choose to be a cynic or pessimist, that's fine. Life isn't perfect and you can choose to focus on the negatives if you wish. You're still operating within the realm of reality.

But if you're intensely apathetic/unhappy, chances are your worldview is wrong. You'll know if you've come out of depression.
>>
>>17315166
And approx ten nonillion lower animals, i.e. insects and other arthropods and nematodes (give or take a couple of zeroes tacked onto the end of that). For reference that's one with thirty zeroes after it, about 20 orders of magnitude greater than the number of humans who've ever existed -- which is to say you had about a 1/(10^20) chance of being born as anything more sophisticated than a bee. Let's just write that number out:

You had a 1 / 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance of being born something more sophisticated than a bee.

I don't feel like looking up figures (which are all estimates, of course, but not unreasonable ones) for the number of vertebrates that have ever lived, but obviously your chance of being born a human was at least a few factors of ten smaller (probably more than a few.) Even as a human, your chance of being born today, as opposed to at some other -- likely to be shittier -- point in history was a little 5%, and your chance of being born in a first world country today is a little over 10%.

So there you have it. You're 10% of 5% of some other small percent I can't be assed to calculate of .00000000000000000001%. I don't care if you're >foreveralone or depressed or chronically ill, being born with human intelligence in a safe, free society that's enlightened enough to educate your dumb ass and technologically advanced enough to let you whine on 4chan is a vastly, incredibly special thing.

And frankly those numbers are generous. If I wanted to really make a point I'd have included the chance of being "born" a bacterium, but I can't be assed to go looking for those numbers, so just mentally inflate those numbers by a couple more orders of magnitude.
>>
If you are on 4chan, you are likely predisposed to be miserable. We are but disgusting flues and this site is like a pile of shit beaconing to us.
>>
>>17315271
>If you are on 4chan, you are likely predisposed to be miserable.

This was never always the case though. I remember being on the aim chat site when I was about 14 and there were lots of miserable loners on there. It's all about the prisoner's mindset you put yourself in by browsing the internet all day, if you're already sad it makes you even more depressed cause you're honestly not doing anything with your life.
>>
>>17315281
No, look for the common thread. We are attached to socializing through the internet because we are averse to facing real life society.
>>
What the fuck else are you going to do, post on 4chan?
>>
>>17315289

And that is a self imposed prison you've created for yourself. It's like saying you can't go out and talk to girls in real life now cause there's tinder. You made this site become an addiction to you, it's upto you to decide whether your life is important enough from breaking away from it or if you plan to still be here in 2030 calling people newfags and complaining about how the world has changed.
>>
>>17315143
This is what the chan's breed of special snowflake believe.
>>
Life is just a adverse effect of your father not being able to keep his reproductive organ in his pants. But they will of course tried to convince you that your life really is some sort of miracle just so you don't go killing yourself so that you can serves the system.
>>
File: happy hulk.png (34 KB, 424x500) Image search: [Google]
happy hulk.png
34 KB, 424x500
>>17315140
Life is fun if you know how to enjoy it
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.