[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just learned I have Prosopagnosia (face blindness). Does any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 1466279158818.jpg (117 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
1466279158818.jpg
117 KB, 1300x866
Just learned I have Prosopagnosia (face blindness). Does anyone have any tips on how to live with this? Maybe I should just end my life so I don't have to deal with it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
>>
>>17306903

>end my life so i dont have to deal with the fact that i dont recognize faces

jesus this is the whiniest tumblr self diagnosis i have e ver heard.
>>
Find alternate ways to recognise people. Try to recognise their voice, their body shape, their body language.

If you're out with a group of people, Maybe have one or all of them wear some kind of noticeable bracelet so you can recognise them.

What's your experience with it? Is it severe?
>>
File: images (21).jpg (22 KB, 385x382) Image search: [Google]
images (21).jpg
22 KB, 385x382
This is a picture of Gustav Fröhlich on set for the movie Metropolis (1927). Can you distinguish his face?
>>
>>17306912
Just went to a doctor and it was confirmed. I took a few hours of tests and everything.
>>
>>17306915
Its pretty bad. I don't even recognise my parents sometimes.
>>
>>17306930
Can you recognise other parts of people? Like their voice, for example?
>>
>>17306932
Yeah. Usually I can tell who's my dad by his hairstyle but if he's next to my uncle I don't know who's who
>>
>>17306925

so what? your life is literally no differant than its ever been. were you already going to off yourslef? is this seriously affecting you in any way?
>>
>>17306903
Get married so you're always meeting your wife.
>>
>>17306940
In that case, then you should start focusing on other things that make people stand out. Like I mentioned, body language could be a good one, get familiar with the sort of clothes that maybe your friends or family often wear, shoes might be a pretty good indication, as I think people don't normally have too many different shoes. You're probably going to have to start keeping track of this stuff purposefully, and apply a bit of evidence-based reasoning to overcome it (for example with ideas mentioned, if you recognise someone's voice and they have a specific kind of shoe that you would expect that voice to have, then the likelihood is high that that person is whoever you recognise) until it can be habitual. You might have to start keeping track of where people are, if you are in close quarters (if you know for sure you talked with your dad in a house, for example, and you move outside and see your uncle, you can reason that the person outside is probably your uncle.)

This sound shitty, anon, but it's not the end of the world, and you'll be able to cope just fine. If this happened spontaneously, I would make sure to find out why it happened and try to prevent more problems from arising.
>>
>>17306947
I always just thought I had a problem remembering things. But now i know it's much worse than that, I just don't see what's the point in living anymore if I can't be cured. And it does affect me greatly. If I don't see my friends after a few days I won't be able to recognise them. Same as my family. I'm going over to work in their hard today and I don't know who they are until I see their bodies or hear their voice.
>>
>>17306983

>its so hard to tell people that they should say their names when they see me next time
>why even live

cut the special snowflake syndrome. i had brain damage earlier this year and made the affirmation to keep going even though i could barely hold my head up with no fucking cure in sight.

you can survive not recognizing people immdiately. just tell people you need to hear them say they're name. boom. problem solved.
>>
>>17306962
I think it started when I had a concussion last year. I passed out in the kitchen and when I woke up there was blood all over the floor that was coming out of my head. After that I've just had a hard time recognising people.
>>
>>17306903
kek I this real?

Not only do I feel like this is a made up condition, but I might have it too. I've always been awful with faces. It's usually like a conversation with my mom
>hey guess who just got married
>who
>angela
>who's that
>remember angela, and the guy sam?
>nope
>they were at marthas house that one christmas
>whos house?
>remember she was sitting next to anna
>next to who?
>>
>>17307020

thats not an issue with faces. thats an issue with people. faces would just be seeing someone and not recognizing them
>>
>>17307020
Its real
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/prosopagnosia/Prosopagnosia.htm
>>
My SO and family has this. They make it work by focusing on one unusual trait, like a mole or a crooked tooth, and memorizing that to a specific person.
>>
>>17306903
Get a job online or in a call center.
In a call center they will all have name tags
>>
>>17306912
It's a real thing. He can't tell people apart just by looking at them. These people have to put way more effort into recognizing people (easiest is to just ask), but this becomes a huge fucking hassle when out in public.

I have heard of this disease plenty of times and I have never heard of a good strategy to combat it.
>>
Maybe there are communities or groups where people that have it gather? Might be good to learn how people deal with it.
>>
OP you undoubtedly already have coping strategies for recognizing people (usually the context you expect to see them in). You just need to get better at that (especially at trying to focus on remember clothing once you've identified someone). Tell people so that they won't get offended if you don't recognize them in situations out of the usual context in which you see them.
>>
>>17307122
I just hope they don't think I'm lying.
>>
>>17307112
Not that I know of. Its not a common disorder
>>
File: 1466894475561.jpg (13 KB, 216x225) Image search: [Google]
1466894475561.jpg
13 KB, 216x225
>>17307020
Does it hurt being that retarded?
>>
>>17306912
>>17306947
>>17306993
>>17307020
what is it about this thread that attracts so many downies
>>
>>17307386
If a thread mentions suicide there's always people who act like /b/
>>
How do you go your whole life without realizing you can't distinguish faces? Face blindness is not worth killing yourself, but being dumb enough to need hours of tests to realize it might be
>>
File: 1467102068682.png (20 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1467102068682.png
20 KB, 560x407
Anon, every single human body has at least one imperfection in its systems. The one in yours is the lack of the ability to recognise faces. I had a friend with a fingerless right hand. Some can't see colors, or need a wheelchair. Then there's lactose, intolerance, schzophrenia a nd a million other things. I think we need to just live with it.
>>
>>17307599
The doctor needed to give me those tests because it was mandatory.
>>
>>17306903
Try to live like '50 First Dates' except never with the same girl.
>>
I just had a thought OP. Can you get an app for your phone that recognises faces and or voices? Might that help? Or could you make one?
>>
>>17307657
First of all, any movie with Adam Sandler is shit. Second, I don't like women. Third, I don't date cause what's the point if I won't recognise them instantly?
>>
>>17307037
Jesus I hope he's not planning on having kids
>>
>>17307677

DINK4Lyfe
>>
>>17306903
Why not study pictures of your friends and family everyday, so you can't forget as easily?

>>17307658
I'm pretty sure holding a phone up to everyone's face to see if he knows them would make OP look like a weirdo
>>
>>17307688
No matter how much I could study it wouldn't even work
>>
>>17307668
1st - agree
2nd - why?
3rd - makes sense
>>
>>17307695
I'm gay. How else could anyone not like women?
>>
>>17307694
You said if you don't see your friends for a few days you aren't able to recognize them, so that's why I suggested the pictures.
>>
>>17307712
Well when I see them I usually look at their hair or body. Or if I have to I just ask for their name. Plus, I'm friends with twins, so I'm really fucked when I try to find out who's who
>>
>>17307708
Ask /r9k/
Find a gay man with a special manerism. It must not be that hard since many gay men like to do that.
But that has nothing with the topic so idk...
>>
>>17307737
I'm not touching the /r9k/ neckbeard men
>>
>>17307746
I meant asking them how else would anyone not like women.
>>
>>17307750
I'm still not touching them
>>
>>17307763
Nigga you are dense.
They hate women even though they are not gay. That's the whole point of "ask x about y". X doesn't like y.
>>
>>17307688
Weird compared to everyone else holding up their phones?
>>
>>17306903
I have a mild form of this too, OP. It's nothing to end your life over if you didn't dream of becoming a face model agent or anything
>>
>implying anyone's face is worth remembering
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.