[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are jobs so miserable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (337 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.png
337 KB, 500x667
Tell me your experiences/emotions with your current job, if you like. I'd love to compare.

I work a simple factory job, have a few friends there but nothing extravagant. It's the closest that was hiring, so I gave it a shot. I'm trying to find the drive to continue it, but it's becoming increasingly depressing. I understand that life is hard and I need to buck up, but that doesn't negate how it makes me feel.

I've tried the whole "look for the good things in it" thing and I'm having a hard time even finding good things. Aside from money, there's really nothing. I don't enjoy the people enough to much care for them, although I've tried. I'm just really lost.
>>
What's depressing about the factory job? Is it just that it's a poor guy's job?
>>
I work customer service. I hate people, and have zero fucks to give about their bad experiences with us. Th pay's decent, but I throw most of my money on booze to numb my hatred for my job. I'd get another one, but he job market's shit.

OP: at least you don't deal with entitled cunts all day.
>>
>>17304330
Yes, and the fact it's all I can get. I guess I want something that I'll actually enjoy but that's hard to grasp for anyone.

>>17304344
That does sound annoying, although, I generally enjoy talking to people. But I guess I've never had to deal with the people you have to deal with on a daily basis.
>>
>>17304227
cuck jobs have racist generic mainstream minorities.
>>
>>17304464
Pardon?
>>
I work part time in a supermarket and I honestly don't mind it. The people are generally nice, the work can be varied, and I have a fair bit of independence.
>>
>>17304495
That sounds really pleasant. Have you worked elsewhere in the past? And how much hours do you clock in?
>>
>>17304227

I used to work a factory job while going to college. It was a night job, so I would attend school during the day. Many Co workers started off with the same idea, but you just get SO TIRED...You can't summon the willpower to pull yourself out and then you stay stuck. 4 years passed before I really had an honest look at myself and asked what the fuck I was doing. My SO also played a big part. I plowed through college and now I'm a high school teacher because I want to encourage kids to avoid that kind of life.

As for complaints, besides the unpaid hours and general disrespect by many in society, it's loads better than what I was doing before. I'm so grateful to wake up at 7am instead of 11pm, to see my family and friends, to help kids who were lost like I was.

I hope you can find something OP.
>>
>>17304511
I haven't, it's my first and only job while I'm in school. I only do 8 hours a week while school's on, but I do extra days during uni holidays and Christmas/New Years
>>
>>17304517
I can greatly relate. I've contemplated college (I'm 20 now), but was never sure what to aspire to be. Not to mention the thought of all the debt I'd be in seems incredibly overwhelming and stressful.

I thoroughly appreciate your response.
>>
>>17304522
Oh wow. Interesting.

I made the plunge into full time and now am regretting it, but I have nothing else (school wise) to do so I thought it'd be a good idea.
>>
>>17304554
I would think since there's interesting technology that your Director would be a little more apt to try new things, so that's strange.

Thanks for your post.
>>
>>17304551
Well I have varied work because I work in two departments. Plus I've been there six and a half years (worked during high school too) so I have pretty solid relationships with some of my coworkers and customers, coupled with the fact that it's in a small 'city' of 40,000 people so I know a fair few from outside of work too. Having been there so long also means I have a fair bit of knowledge and they're willing to give me a bit more responsibility. The job itself can be somewhat monotonous at times and I can't imagine doing it full time, but it's not bad part time.
>>
>>17304227
IT Lead, nice office, cool technology, hours I set (usually 30ish), nice people, but hard as hell to change any process (even with a degree in business/IT), because the Director is stuck in 1970's Cuba it seems.

While it's a comfy position, I like to leave my mark on things and I am unable to do so here, so it's not fulfilling.

Started in a Factory, also. Left, got educated (still working on post-grad stuff), and still manage to find things I dislike.

The grass is the same color here, too.
>>
>>17304544

Have you looked into trade schools? Many of my students worry about college debt as well, so I try to get then enrolled in trade schools for plumbing, welding, mechanic, etc. Mad money there.
>>
>>17304579
I haven't, actually. I can hardly keep up with physically demanding jobs, as even this factory job has screwed up my rotator cuff, but maybe I just need to bulk up some more.

Is there a specific site I could get really in-depth information about such schools?
>>
>>17304571
That's disappointing to hear. Are you ever planning on trying to find something more fitting for you?

I'm not sure if I'm being a "wuss" by contemplating leaving this awful job or not. Considering it makes me feel miserable, which is something I don't need (nor anyone else needs), but needing the money is the big issue.
>>
>>17304564
That's good to hear, I believe. Seems like you have a lot of connections which will really help in the future if you're ever seeking out more job wise. That must be nice to at least know you've got more opportunities and such.
>>
>>17304227
I work as a behavior therapist for kids with autism. I go to family's homes, use a systematic and proven behavior guideline to reduce tantrum behavior, self harming behavior, etc. and increase good behavior (talking, coping with out tantruming, relieving them of sensory needs like rocking back and forth and stuff)

I love my job, but sometimes it is so frustrating and panic inducing that I want to give up out of frustration.

Some of my kids are very easy to work with, and actually really delightful. Other kids, can be brats that just also happen to have autism. Most people assume autistic kids are really unaware of people and their emotions. It's more like they tune out what does not benefit them. I have a handful of very manipulative children. That when they do not get their way, they manipulate their parents or me to get it. For example, just last week, family and I go on an outing to the store. He acts out because there is toys there, and he likes to open them and play with them. I attempted to keep him busy and his behaviors under control. But he kept darting away from me and family and I had to chase after him. Once I got him seated finally somewhere in the store, he snatched my glasses off my face and ran around the store, straight to the toy section and started ripping open toys. I honestly was already having a really tiresome day. I could have broken down and sobbed right there. I actually had to hunt him down and sternly tell him that it was unacceptable. Once I caught up to him, he threw my glasses and pulled his pants down right in public.

I've been doing this for about three years now. Some days suck really hard and you can't do much. Some days progress is very much made. Actually, overall, progress is made on the kids. They get better, but over a long span of time. It's what makes me stay at this job. The daily grind is what's tough.
>>
>>17304592
I am currently working on my MBA/JD in a joint-degree program, so the job fits in well. I've thought of leaving because I have several merit scholarships that make it pointless to even work, but in end I refuse to be that guy who has a mountain of degrees with no experience and cannot find a job because of it.

But yeah, I am using this to achieve bigger plans, so 2 more years or so and I'm out.
>>
>>17304227
You're a pussy. Be a man, grow a sac, and be thankful you're not living in the streets. Keep smiling, if you pretend to be happy long enough you'll end up being pretty happy. Quit being a bitch
>>
>>17304585

Believe me, those types of injuries sustained in physical labor jobs aren't anything you can fix by bulking up. Part of the heartache from my job was that you could eventually work up to a 100k/year job if you held on at part time $10/hr for ~8 years, so people set their hearts on that goal. However, they would sustain so many repetitive motion injuries or back/shoulder/knee injuries that when they finally got a shot at that position their bodies were physically incapable to do the work. Then you find that you spent the better part of a decade in a dead end job. Utterly heartbreaking.

In my area there are lots of local schools, but you could try searching for trade schools near you online. Also Job Corps is an option, though I hear some people having problems with others (trade schools tend to attract people from low socio-economic backgrounds who can't shake the hoodnigga mindset)
>>
>>17304608
Jesus man I volunteered a month at an Autistic children's camp eight hours a day back in early high school, never again. I have my own fucked up mental problems but those parents and the people they hire, like yourself, have it rough.

All of you are doing better than me. I couldn't hold a job for more than a month or two. The longest job was Carpenter's Helper, and I had a two year internship with lab experience and hospital work in Infection Prevention and Outcomes Management. Problem is I have the experience but no B.A, I could do good work easy, its basic statistics, observation, just keeping things clean and being a dick, I reduced the local medical centers HAI rates by half through my measures.

Tldr they don't hire kids who know what they're doing but don't have a BA at the minimum, I'm only 19 and began working in a lab culturing at 15. I used to be really bright in that area. Lots of people egged me on to be a doctor, research, etc.

Now I'm just hoping financial aid goes through so I can go back to Uni. I've dropped twice now.

OP the only thing I can say is I'm bad at holding jobs and all the jobs I've had leave me mentally exhausted and physically drained. I dealt with it through drugs and alcohol. Bad choice. The only thing I can say is set small goals and work toward them, dissociate at work.
>>
>>17304644
This person was most likely just like you at once and is probably projecting to hold you back from bettering yourself, because his only true security is knowing that you presently fall 2 inches below him in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>17304663
I have no idea what you're trying to say desu.
>>
I'm this guy:

>>>17304714
>>
File: image.png (258 KB, 609x548) Image search: [Google]
image.png
258 KB, 609x548
Factory job, it's my second job after I was a dishwasher in high school. I was a NEET for about half a year after dropping out of uni (going back) and the transition to full time was fucking awful. I basically worked here to save up rent and spending cash and built myself a PC, and I'm quitting on the 6th to enjoy the rest of my summer with a part time at a gas station

tl;dr fuck factory work
>>
You gotta start somewhere, and grinding through work you hate actually shows character. If you can do that, then you can do school.

I started at McDonald's, cleaning the restaurant on weekend nights when i was in high school. I cut grass and pulled weeds for neighbours. I washed dishes at a restaurant. Then I bussed at the restaurant, and learned bartending when I was 18. Then I started to earn some tips and meet women. Then tended bar in a great restaurant on weekends, waited on tables in the summer, made a ton of money in tips, paid my own way through university with no debt, in fact had money to spare. Did the same thing through law school. Now I'm a lawyer.

Some days I miss being a bartender though. It was fun. And chicks! Wow, those were good times.
>>
Currently working in a hospital cleaning up blood and assisting doctors and nurses. The job is basically a slightly glorified janitor/errand boy. I have a college degree but this job only requires a HS diploma and it's all I could find. It also pays a few less $ per hour than I'm accustomed to making. I made more per hour working part-time jobs while in college, now that I have a degree I make about the same working full time.

I've applied to it seems like a hundred positions I'm qualified for, got interviews at about 6. They all said no. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm still hoping to find something. The job I have now is gratifying because on some level I'm helping people, but I feel it's beneath me and am starting to resent the work. My most recent interview they were very condescending and one person even said a major red flag about me was the font style that I used on my resume. I tell myself I'm better off not working for idiots like that but at this point I really just wish someone would give me a job I can be proud to tell people I work at. Many of my friends are graduated and have good jobs at nice companies, but I'm still doing this shit.

I've been working for years and earned my degree, I'm willing to pay my dues but I can't seem to get out of entry level positions. I'm trying to build a career and escape the constant grind of living paycheck to paycheck. I want to be gainfully employed, buy a car and someday a house but right now that doesn't even seem possible. I feel like if nothing has changed in 6 months I'll probably be depressed.
>>
>>17304517
How well did you manage going to school while working nights? Did you go full time?

I currently work nights in a foundry and I'm considering going back to school in the fall to get a degree in mechanical engineering.
>>
>>17305155

I did part time student for 2 years (2 classes a semester), though I also worked part time too at that point (~3am to 9am 5 days a week). Would fall asleep in some morning classes so I figured that I would take a nap after work then head to class.

However, when I got my ass in gear and went to school full time (4 classes) I also moved into management for full time during the last semester. I thought it would be easier because I believed it would be lighter work. Completely wrong because I had to break jams on conveyor belts all day erry 5 day. I got incredibly sick at first, but I still went to work. Everyone thought I was going to die because the schedule (classes were crunched between 2pm to 8pm, work started at 10pm and went to about 10am). Luckily I'm an excellent writer and don't procrastinate, so I would work on essays during break periods and type them up on Google Drive using my phone while laying in bed. I also took as many online classes as possible to cut down on time so I could sleep more.

If your job is physically taxing, I highly advise a nap between work and class.
>>
>>17304517
Brandon, of all places, what the hell are you doing here?
>>
I have an engineering job in an office, and the only thing good about it is the money, and even that isn't too great. I am paid 30-50% less than the H1Bs and end up with twice the work.

Corporate culture is rotten to the core. Do-nothing middle managers and silver spoon execs are the worst by far.
>>
>>17304227
I work maintenance in a factory. Pity those poor fuckers, op.

I really don't have the attitude for it and am gradually becoming more and more stressed to the point that it's interfering with life outside work. Like you, I've tried looking at it differently, but have had no success. When I consider that I actually went to college and used all my scholarship funds for this job, one that causes me discomfort, pain, and confusion, I'm dumbstruck by how hard I messed that up.

I've reenrolled in college (in a program that's getting cancelled once everyone in it graduates; not very encouraging) just so I have an excuse to quit, but now I have to try to find something else. There is one job that would fit really well, but I don't want to get too excited about my chances.
>>
I'm a part time cashier at a grocery store. I hate it, but only because it's in a bad neighborhood and the customers are trash. Everyone who has transferred to our store from other stores in the company has told me that we have the worst customers and management of any other location. When I first started working there I was really nice and quiet, but there's only so much bullshit and stupidity one person can take.

I've recently applied for another job I really want. The only reason I stayed this long at my current job is because I love my coworkers and I needed to build up experience since it was my first job.
>>
>>17305351

I'm a woman named Christian.
>>
File: 1466386895967.jpg (50 KB, 643x738) Image search: [Google]
1466386895967.jpg
50 KB, 643x738
>>17305401
Are you gay?
>>
>>17305405

My mom just wanted me to have a masculine/neutral name for business.
>>
>>17304644
The perfect slave
>Grow a sac, suck it and live on, pretend you're happy with your life, be thankful you're not on the street.
Why not
>improve yourself, strive for better, never settle for less, know your worth, don't be complacent, stand your ground, do what you enjoy

Seriously...

OP, I think I'm the only one in this thread who got it all backwards. I'm highly educated and I had a position as a university teacher in England for many years, and I'm not -even- European/American. I was respected by everyone and I easily was the most accomplished in my circle of friends. Around May last year I got extremely depressed and after thinking hard and long, I quit my prestigious position, got hired sorting potatoes in a factory in my poor home country (leaving my homeland broke my soul) and now I'm actively pursuing to become published. I'm writing on my phone during breaks at work, and on the way home. Since the money is little to do anything, I also write at home. I brought a bike and go out and write some more.
Thing is, I'm happier right now than I've been in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm just a manchild who resents the system and hates being responsible. For the first time since uni, I am actually able to read the books that I want to read, and write things that I want to write. I keep my background a secret from my coworkers but I think it's obvious that I wasn't brought up to be a factory worker. I chuckle every time I hear them say "I wanna go abroad and make money".

Nigga I've been there and it ain't all sunshine and rainbows. The grass is not greener.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.