[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I hide my engineering degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1448996670351.png (321 KB, 480x545) Image search: [Google]
1448996670351.png
321 KB, 480x545
I have a 4-year engineering degree, an AA degree, and an internship on my resume. I want to get a job at Wal Mart or some other low paying place as a temp job.

Should I take the engineering degree off my resume?

How should I go about getting the job? Just walking in and asking any random employee if they are hiring, asking to see the manager, or what?
>>
Just apply twice, a day apart from different emails. One with and one without.
>>
>>17303468
Won't the online system or some HR person catch the fact that I applied twice and trash my applications?
>>
>>17303465
>Should I take the engineering degree off my resume?
Yes

>How should I go about getting the job? Just walking in and asking any random employee if they are hiring, asking to see the manager, or what?

Most large businesses require online applications. If its a small indipendant company or a small bar or something talking to the manager might work. But finding jobs online is much easier these days.
>>
>>17303611
Not if you list different emails.
>>
>>17303465
Presumably, you are worried they might feel you are overqualified? If so, then I fear you might be right. My father was in the Navy, a police officer, a correctional officer, AND an EMT, and yet, he couldn't get a job at Jack In the Box (hard times) because he was "too" qualified.
>>
>>17303899
Yeah, I'm worried about being overqualified. I feel like I have less job options post-graduation then I did before it. An anon in a different thread suggested that I either leave my education vague (such as telling them I've "taken some classes"), or telling them I need money for grad school. I guess I'll do one of those.

>>17303625
Won't I get lost in a sea of applicants if I apply online? That's been my experience with professional companies, but I'm unsure if it's the same way with low paying jobs.
>>
>>17303914
Welp, I certainly hope you strive for better even if it is a temp job because sometimes what may seem temporary may become permanent. Hard times, man, and they only get harder. It's clear you are a smart individual, so fixing your resume to best fit the job should be a piece of cake. It all ties down to telling people what they want to hear without making them feel stupid or feel like you're too stupid. Good luck, pal.
>>
>>17303611
Person: probably not.

System: Depends on what it checks. Could check your social.

Just apply at two different places, one with one without.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.