[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can i be a good medical student if my IQ is 106? A friend of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 3404369.jpg (34 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
3404369.jpg
34 KB, 225x350
Can i be a good medical student if my IQ is 106?

A friend of mine who scored 145 said i could never be a good doctor.

Next year i enter medical school and i'm feeling very insecure.

In HS i had top marks and was the best student of every class. I learned 3 other languages and i'm currently learning korean. I do study hard but i'm very insecure about my intelligence for some reason. So, is hard work > 130+ IQ?

Can i become a good doctor even though im not naturally gifted?
>>
IQ is a meme.
Honestly, if it really is over 9000, you may grasp concept faster, but still have to do work.
Make smart people explain oncepts to you and you are even,
>>
>>17302987
School has very little to do with intelligence, people much dumber than myself do much better in school because they try harder, its literally all about being able to remember irrelevant shit that you read a couple of times
>>
Yes, you can. Medicine is 99% learning dry lexical knowledge. You need a big ass for that, not a big brain. A good memory is needed. You will do almost all your work according to protocol, and what you won't, you will consult with others to prevent being sued. Have determination, endurance, and patience for learning a LOT of lexical knowledge, 90%+ of which you will never use.
>>
Med student here, halfway to intern. It's more effort and putting in the time than any difficult to understand concepts.

Helps if ur at least a bit empathetic, or can fake it, more than being a whiz photographic memory nerd.
>>
IQ means jack shit. According to it, I'm like, borderline retarded at under 100 yet I speak English, German, Romanian, French and Latin fluently, I wrote and published a book, finished history with top grades and I own a small bakery in town.

I sometimes think I just messed my IQ exams somehow though... Never bothered giving it another shot.
>>
>>17302987
Qualified medfag here

A good memory is more essential than a big IQ. Also the importance of social skills are underestimated (and largely not needed) before you start life on the ward. Lack of them just leads to more complaints and more stress

I do sometimes worry about my colleagues in terms of IQ though... But I went to Cambridge, so the bar was set high there. They can always be GPs
>>
How do I marry a doctor and be a house husband? I already work in an ER. But all the women are married.
>>
Im about 140 and it doesnt mean anything. Im okay student but i struggle to learn anything. If you put hard work and dedication you can easily become a doctor. Dont sweat it.
>>
>>17303038
You may be able to get in bed with a junior, but generally doctors marry amongst themselves

>have a qt doctor gf
>>
yes, youre gonna make it.
>>
File: 1466804764602.gif (3 MB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
1466804764602.gif
3 MB, 640x357
>>17302987
Fuck that IQ is a meme
>>
>>17303044

Yea. I see that. Four of our ER doctors are married between themselves.
>>
>>17302997
dingdingdingding
>>
>>17302987
The only thing iq is good for is measuring who is legally retarded and who isn't. It has correlations with various aspects of well being, but it's impossible to determine if there's a causal relation.

Hard work really is what makes successful people successful. As long as your iq is high enough for you to spot a good opportunity, you'll be fine.
>>
>>17303005
>Helps if ur at least a bit empathetic, or can fake it
Why'd you even go into medicine if you are not empathetic?
My boyfriend is a nurse, he cares deeply for his patience and it's still a hard job. Empathy seems key in this industry, not just for the patient but for yourself.
>>
>>17303425
There's different branches where you might not need to interact with patients as much.
Some people might just love the biology aspect of it and want to help people, but are not so keen on their bedside manner. That being said, you have to at least learn to fake it.
>>
>>17302987
Diligence>Intelligence
>>
File: 1453332419032.jpg (225 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453332419032.jpg
225 KB, 1920x1080
>>17302987

1) My first advice is to drop your so-called "friend" and attain more supportive companions.

2) Do not allow your IQ to undermine you. Although knowledge is not retained information and more so the ability to work out said information, if you can focus on what you need to do and do your best to understand it, you will succeed. In other words, if you are dedicated and truly want to succeed, YOU WILL.

Perhaps it's time to prove to your condescending friend that you are more than what he perceives you as.

Sometimes the people who seem the smartest are the most idiotic (and cunty).

Study hard and surpass your limits with sheer hard work and persistence.

Good luck, Doc.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.