[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you treat depression without a shrink? I'm against therapy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: toavyhhlqm.jpg (108 KB, 644x527) Image search: [Google]
toavyhhlqm.jpg
108 KB, 644x527
Can you treat depression without a shrink?
I'm against therapy ethically and morally. I refuse to be psychoanalyzed or drugged for reasons I won't explain
>>
>>17301223
It's called marijuana.
>>
Well are you actually clinically depressed or just really sad?
>>
>>17301223
>I'm against therapy ethically and morally
I am now resisting the urge to fucking bash you in order to provide advice.

You "can" """treat""" depression without a shrink, but it depends on the situation. Think of it like trying to power off an airplane without having any knowledge of airplanes. You could do damage, you could just nail it; best news you're gonna get here is that at least good-will counts a lot.
>>
Yea. Therapy ultimately does nothing. You can talk and talk and talk and fucking talk until you're blue in the face. You can re-visit old traumas, and confront every feeling and insecurity you've ever had. But ultimately none of that can cure your depression. Depression is a disease of technological civilization. We are depressed because our lives have no meaning. We are all replaceable, and no one depends on us. We move around too much and only mae fleeting connections. No one cares deeply for you, and you don't care deeply for anyone else. There isn't anything that really, truly, needs to be done anymore. Life is too easy. Easy and lonely.
>>
File: abandon3d.gif (639 KB, 420x242) Image search: [Google]
abandon3d.gif
639 KB, 420x242
>>17301279
>Therapy ultimately does nothing
>Subjective bullshit rant

Welp, only one option left.
>>
>>17301287
I've known so many people who went to therapy for years and didn't improve. Therapy can't cure depression. It can help you, but it isn't a treatment, it's a tool. And most people, therapists included, don't know how to use it.
>>
>>17301287
I've been in and out of therapy since I was 8. It can be helpful, but you have to MAKE it helpful. Too many people just go expecting it be like a mechanics visit where they just poke and prod you until they find the problem and fix it for you.
>>
I became an alcoholic and I can't recommend it.
It just hurts you overall.

If you are so dead set against therapy, try to have friends.
Just talking about your misery will help.

I was depressed before and I escaped it alone. But it took years, and those years hurt me.

Friends help.
Shrinks really do help too.

Just try to get out and do new things, that really helps.
Leave your house. Go sit in a park and read. That'll do a lot.
>>
Yes.
- Talk with friend
- Change lifestyle
- Eat healthier
- Exercise more
- Get better sleep
- Make goals and accomplish them
etc.
>>
>>17301301
Maybe you don't want to be better.
>>
>>17301223
Get a hobby. And I really mean that.

>Start a badass aquarium with a bunch of different organisms. Frogs, fish, snails, etc.

>Pick up an awesome musical instrument like synth, electric bass, or the drums.

>Start hardcore working out and get a six pack. Meet a shit load of chill work out buddies and cardio bunnies.

>Go an a fucking adventure. Take a boat across a lake or go camping for a few days. Hike a few miles. Just generally live with nature for a while, you'll remember it for the rest of your life.

Just pick up something that's incredible. Something you can brag about. Something that revitalizes you.

Weed, alcohol, and 4chan are counterproductive to fighting depression, as much as I hate to say it. They're temporary numbing tools but they just let it build up.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.