[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many sick days is too many? I'm about to take off my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1464974150218.jpg (47 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464974150218.jpg
47 KB, 600x800
How many sick days is too many?
I'm about to take off my 4th 'sick day' from work in half a year (each isolated one off days) and wonder how many I'll need to take before they consider canning me. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Pic unrelated, of course.
>>
Depends on your employer and their policy. Ask.
>>
>>17298763
If I ask they'll know I'm trying to take another day off, which I'm obviously trying to avoid.
>>
>>17298754
I've taken over 14 days, and currently haven't been to work since April.

Yet I'm still considered employed by them.

Most places will prefer to work with you and your illness until you can recuperate

If you can, put in some extra hours to make up for the sick time
>>
>>17298821
Do you have an on going illness? I won't really have any long term excuse to give them.
>>
It's completely dependent on your employer. Are you a fulltime employee? Are you in a union? How long have you been at your job? You haven't given us enough information.

Anyway, the HR guy at my place was so fucking stupid. I'm a fulltime employee and in a union. As per our contract, we're given 10 sick days a year, but after 5 you need to start bringing in doctor's note. So last year I used all 5, then used the other 5 with no doctor's notes. Then I used another one and they gave me a warning, then another, then they suspended me for a day. Then they suspended me for 3 days. Then after that idk what happened but I called in once a month for the next 12 months and they didn't do anything (probably just needed the workers and couldn't afford suspending me again). Then we got a new HR girl and I was somehow able to call in 6 more times in a 2 month span before it finally caught up with me. 5 day suspension (next step is termination) but I got it reduced to 3 days with some union bullshit.

So yeah, there's no way anyone here can give you a straight answer. Also I'm from Canada if that makes any difference.
>>
>>17298754

A mate of mine called in sick over 30 times in 2015, every single one because he was hungover. Kept his job and eventually quit when they moved offices

Another friend got a written warning after taking 2 days off with food poisoning.

Depends on the company you work for and the nature of the job
>>
>>17298855
Not a part of a union. Been employed here just about half a year, and I'm full time. I'm also from the UK, I dunno how much that helps.
>>
Im a casual bar maid and have had maybe 14 sick days, one week for hurting my foot and another week 2 months later for hurting it again.
I have also taken maybe 18 days off for my long distance relationship visits. My employer is obligated to accept my time off no matter what i put in. However he can fire me for another reason if he wanted it.

Im a bomb ass worker though so he hasnt yet. Been there 2 years next month.
>>
>>17298887
I guess this is my worry. Two long sicknesses look way more legit that 5 24 hour bugs.
I suppose I'll just have to accept that this a risk and go for it.
>>
If I notice you're calling in once a month, I'm going to start looking for a replacement. Unless you get the shift covered yourself and it's of no inconvenience to me and my life.
>>
>>17299117
Are you working as a part of a small business or a large company?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.