[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the point in doing anything if someone is better than you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: dolphin.jpg (129 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dolphin.jpg
129 KB, 1024x768
whats the point in doing anything if someone is better than you at it/gets better results than you?

I havent enjoyed anything since figuring this out 3 years ago
>>
>>17298135
For fun.
>>
There isn't. Therefore it's best to kill yourself.
>>
Because someone being better does not take away the fact you were capable of doing something. If all you wanted was to better than someone; you were doin it for the wrong reasons in the first place. Learn to compete with yourself rather than others.
>>
>>17298135
That way you can have that sweet feeling that above all, you came out on top and became better than them.

fuck what this faggot said >>17298146

You don't play for fun, You play to win.
>>
>>17298137
It seems completely futile to have fun knowing youll always be second place to the person better than you. How does anybody enjoy always knowing this person will do better than you without even trying?

>>17298146
It takes away the entire capability of doing the thing. If I were to make a stone statue and everybody thought it was bad because this other guy set the bar for sculptures I shouldnt even try. Ill never amount to that guys sculpture and he wasnt trying.
>>
>>17298168
I'm better at breathing than you

May as well quit now you'll never catch up
>>
>>17298174
well breathing isnt a skill is it
>>
>>17298200
Tell that to Olympic swimmers and divers
>>
You're not even the best at failing or quitting, so stop doing that
>>
>>17298168
Christ, you're a whiny faggot. Would you seriously turn down an opportunity to become a billionaire just because you still wouldn't be the richest man in the world? Fuck what others think or achieve. Do it for yourself.
>>
>>17298135
It's supposed to give you the drive to improve to the point where you completely BTFO and spit in the eye of everyone that ever doubted you and let you humiliate your rival so you can fuck his wife and look him in the eye when you cum inside her

you might have low T dude
>>
>>17298211
it wouldnt be a matter of worldly possessions, money is only a self indicator of how much a persons life is worth from the work they do

>>17298213
No amount of drive will ever increase the main factor in all people: potential. potential cannot be changed or increased or decreased, it is a set factor that will never move.

my potential is low

as for the testosterone I wouldnt be suprised if it were
>>
>>17298168
>second place to the person better than you

Then set yourself apart. Growing up, I was a very good math student (I would always score in the top 2 percentile when I took standardized math tests), but I was definitely not the best in my class.

However, what I did have that most of the kids who were better at math than me didn't have were good social skills, meaning that I was better around other people than them. I wasn't a socially awkward fuckshit growing up, which helped me in the long run. I am much happier and less socially stunted.

I'm top of that, I learned how to speak mandarin and Arabic in college so that I could work outside the country, and having both of these skills also set me apart from other good math students.

What you have to do is to simply become "good enough" at whatever it is that you do, develop whatever skills that you need, and enjoy your life as well. You are not a machine whose sole purpose is to perform tasks and develop marketable skills. Your happiness matters, OP.

I have a job that I work hard to do well because I want to get promoted and make more money, so that I can afford to do all the things that I want to do. Everything else is secondary. I play a recreational sport to get better at it and have fun.
>>
>>17298226
Doesn't matter if you actually win (well it kinda does) but the act of it transforming you into a whirlwind of rage, retribution and dedication is what matters, you'll never be the best if you don't want to cuck the shit out of every smug talentcuck faggot in the world

Get mad and get to work
>>
Comparing yourself to others does not you do any fucking good at all. Imagine if everyone would compare oneself to others?

The only thing you can do is improve yourself the best as possible. Start with some goals, what don't you like about your current life/self? Try to hack that into smaller pieces and look online is there are tips or tricks on how to set those goals in specific areas. MEASURE goals, track your progress. Baby steps is the trick to it.

Good luck.
>>
File: RelaRela.gif (990 KB, 445x225) Image search: [Google]
RelaRela.gif
990 KB, 445x225
>>17298168
>It seems completely futile to have fun knowing youll always be second place to the person better than you.

Then take solace in knowing that youre better than the guy who's third place to the person better than you.

Dude, I become somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my art. Since I go to art school, normally I try to be the best in the class, But unfortunately there are people there who are actually really good. Meanwhile I'm sitting there drawing anime girls and trying to pass it off as art. Now while it does bug me that I'm not the best in the class, I can atleast take solace in knowing that im better than some of the people in my class.

Like for example, sometimes there might be somebody else who likes to draw anime trash. If their stuff looks worse than mine, I take pride in being the best anime drawer.

It's all about the low hanging fruits man. If you can't win, then make sure others fail.
>>
File: fight.gif (1020 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fight.gif
1020 KB, 500x375
>>17298135
because what you don't realize is that they only got good at it after years of training,

also because you will get a great feeling when you finally start to cath up with everyone else

and sure there are people with talent that can get good results without even trying but they can also be surpassed by someone that trains a lot
>>
Go break a world record, OP.
>>
>>17298135
I love people like you. Makes my job of being the best easy as pie.
>>
>>17298336
This anon has a point, the majority of people have this mindset of not trying and whining.
I surprisingly did better than students in my state, because i simply did the best i could. Thought there are people who study 24/7 and i was among the worst every time.
Gotta try to bring that attitude back.
>>
>>17298135
Just because someone is better than you at one thing, does not mean they are better. There is someone better than them too, the difference is that they do not fucking care. You are better than them at other things, so do not get so caught up on this.
>>
>>17298160
Not the faggot, but a mix of both is how motivation is made.

It fucking sucks to lose, we were taught from a young age to win things, winning feels great, and we get pizza when we win (in my case, I don't know about you). Eventually, we build up a feeling that grants us a fun-release as we win. Therefore, it's FUN to WIN.

You can compete with yourself, sure, but why sports and games are fun is that feeling of winning. Even fighting against plot, a computer, or an actual human playing a pyrotecnician means we're competing, winning, and having fun.

I'm drunk, by the way.
>>
File: Max_Stirner-k.jpg (47 KB, 501x525) Image search: [Google]
Max_Stirner-k.jpg
47 KB, 501x525
>>17298168
You're already better than him. You’re the creative nothing. Stop getting spooked and have some fun.
>>
>>17298135
I think the point in doing anything is just doing it for the fun.
For example, i'm not so good at some games that requires skill but i like to play it with my friends. I just go and play it because i actually find it fun.

Sometimes i have a "loser crisis" but then i forget about it and do it for the fun.
With time you get better at things and then it can become even most fun.

Do not seek to be the best at things, but try to have a great time while doing anything.
>>
>>17298135
Listen to this guy.
>>17298233

Basically no one is the best at everything. If someone is better than you at school for example, you are probably better than them at some other activity.

Also realize that the whole point of life is just to be happy and enjoy things. Skills should be a means to an end. The whole point of being skillful at something is to make money so that you can spend your free time doing things that make you happy.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.