[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's even the point of trying to learn something when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
what's even the point of trying to learn something when you can't get better?

i have no skills or talent, and every time i try to get better at something i just fail and go right back to where i was. it makes me feel like i'm worse than anyone else, because they've all got shit they're good at and i've got nothing. my learning curve is literally a straight line.

it literally feels like improvement is impossible. is there any way out of this?
>>
>>17296924

are you a furry
>>
>>17296924
Talent is negligible. You just lack dedication. Mastery takes roughly 10000 hours. Want to learn an instrument? Practice properly for 3 hours every single day, in 10 years you will be good at it. Period. That's how it works, other people with talents and skills have already sunken the time in, you just need to start.
>>
>>17296924
there is no such thing as talent, you're just a lazy fuck that doesn't want to work towards anything so you're using that as an excuse.
>>
>>17296929
i think this is right

i give up really easily, because i know that whatever i draw/compose will be something i'm unhappy with no matter what, so i just stop.
>>
>>17296940
true
>>
>>17296942
Your first 3 million publishable words that you write will be shit, your first few songs songs will be shite. And the people you admire had to go through the same thing, they wrote shit songs and shit novels. They just already have gone past that, that's why they can now be good. If you really want to get good at something then get those hours out of the way, practice 6 hours every single day and it'll just be 5 years to get good.
>>
>>17296958
*Few hundred songs
>>
>>17296924
Make something terrible. Never expect to do or create anything wonderful and perfect. Ever. Strive for completion, not perfection. Improve in increments. Getting shit done is required to make any sort of progress.

Make stupid shit. Fail. People who are good at shit did exactly that. Now they make better shit, and don't fail as often.

Consider this: People who are naturally gifted or talented or were able to figure something out quickly took a really dandy shortcut, but did not learn the valuable lesson of hard work and persistence. People who learn how to not give up, put in the effort and see it pay off are the ones who learn how to accomplish anything and find passion. Passion and skill is a result of effort, not the other way around.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.