[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to get a burger job without ever having to deal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 231x218
Is there a way to get a burger job without ever having to deal with a customer? I don't mind flipping burgers 8 hours a day but I can't talk to people. My voice gets all low and mumbly (even in relaxed situations with people I know, they often correct me on this, though I can't even "hear" it) and apparently my face has a mopey look to it, just by default. My fake smiles are really creepy, too. There's really no happy medium.

Anyway, what places should I apply to? How do I navigate the situation to increase my chances to get put in the back? What signs should I look for in places that would indicate one way or the other? Like would busy places make this more likely, or slower? What other factors should I account for? What other steps should I take?

If it's a thing that's determined after getting hired, what steps can I take in terms of interacting with my boss/coworkers to increase my chances of being put in the back? Is it appropriate to just be upfront with the boss? Also, is there a way to earn juice with my kitchen coworkers to get them to step up and deal with customers in emergency situations?
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 319x319
Anon, this board is about sex/dating advice. This is off-topic.
>>
>>17291852
Just do it , over time it gets better and you get use to it.
>>
>>17291889
No, it's not. What are you smoking?
>>
>>17291902
It's not a matter of "just doing it".

I have spent maybe a hundred hours in front of the mirror, practicing facial expressions, getting to know how my face feels when I look a certain way, so I can "feel" how my face looks in social situations. But inevitably, in a social situation, someone will say "cheer up, kiddo". And I'm thinking "wtf" because I "felt" like my face looked fine. I certainly feel fine on the inside, but apparently I look like a miserable autist.

Same deal with speaking. I used to spend hours practicing talking with my family, with tape recorders. But inevitably in a social situation, someone will point out that I sound low and mumbly. No matter how much I try to get a feel for my vocal cords or whatever, I still sound like this. But I can never even "hear it" until someone points it out.

So dealing with customers isn't an option.
>>
>>17291938
Thing is, you can practice all you want, but you'll only get better if you actually do it. Gotta get out of that comfort zone, anon.
>>
>>17291950
I HAVE practiced with people. I would talk to people at parties and restaurants and malls an arcades and my moms church functions. I even signed up for one class at a community college just to practice talking.

And I always got the response I talked about. I practiced with people for years, and I just never got any better. It's just not going to happen, so I need a job where I don't deal with new people every few minutes.
>>
>>17291852
Most fastfood places are clearly divided between "back room" food preparers and "front room" order takers. Just make it clear when you apply that you are more comfortable not dealing directly with customers.
>>
>>17291889
My female friend is always hanging out with her 5 black guyfriends.

Does she like me?
>>
From my understanding most burger joints train you both in the back and front so you'll eventually have to deal with customers.

I have a resting bitch face, talk low, and mumble. Everyone I've known has said that I look just angry all the time. I practiced a lot trying to teach myself to be more approachable which I saw every little results. I got a job that dealt with customers constantly (cashier) and I was forced to just do it.

There is a huge difference between practice and doing it in front of others. You constantly get feedback from customers which you learn quicker what smile works or if they are able to understand you. It's just trial and error. I now naturally speak clearer with a slightly higher pitch to customers, and know what smile to give.

If you truly want to avoid customers in the food business look into jobs in restruants such as a cook or dishwasher.
>>
M80kins, I don't have the same issues as you do, but I don't really like making phony chatter with customers either. I feel like a clown doing it.

That being said, they usually put the less sociable/ugly people at the back, all the charismatic/presentable people at front. When I worked fast food, I probably seemed normal enough to the manager, and I'm a decent looking guy, so I got put up front.

But idk maybe the manager will be senseless, put you up front, and then fire you for being inadequate.

Sounds tough, hope someone can help you out here. I myself would suggest not doing fast food. I do telemarketing from home, but I suppose that's not an option for you, either.
>>
>>17292008
Nah OP, most places are not willing to hire people who are picky. I don't know what the answer is, but this ain't it.
>>
>>17292015
>There is a huge difference between practice and doing it in front of others. You constantly get feedback from customers which you learn quicker what smile works or if they are able to understand you.

I have practiced in the mirror yes, but I have practiced a bunch with people too see:
>>17291977

For years actually, and I never got better.
>>
>>17292015
>which smile works

ok but I assume OP is a male. Most guys can't pull off smiling in a job like this. They can't look miserable, unconcerned or tough/badass look, there's just this certain expression... Idk what it's called, but most guys who are good at doing counter service have it. I guess it's a happy look of sorts, but it's not smiling.
>>
I have vocal cord/diaphragm damage OP.

Some people have paralyzed faces.

Unless you have those OP than you can overcome these issues. Maybe you'll need to see a speech therapist but you can do it.
>>
>>17291909
Well I mean you're right it's not the OFFICIAL topic, but that is the bulk of the questions asked, and generally sex questions will get answered in far greater numbers than non-sex questions.
>>
>>17292200
Why even bring it up, then? I can see bitching at someone for breaking the rules, but bitching because a thread doesn't conform to the general FEEL of the board is just retarded.
>>
>>17291852
Just tell them you can't deal with customers. This may make you look bad since it's better to be flexible and work multiple positions, but they won't hire you anyway unless you are black.
>>
>>17292225
So close to the quads
>>17292222
>>
>>17292060
>For years actually, and I never got better.
ok how many years are we talking here?
>>
>>17292316
>>
>>17292219
>taking the b8
>>
>>17291852
OP you're gonna have to talk to customers at some point. I was on grill, but sometimes someone from grill would go up front. Occasionally I would be selected. It's probably inevitable, but if anyone knows any different, please correct me.
>>
I worked at a pizza place and was the only person allowed to interact with the customers.
There were 6 people who did prep, grill, and oven. They never had to talk to a soul.

They didnt speak english the best but that had nothing to do with it.

I'm pretty sure most short order cooks never interact with customers.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 261x483) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 261x483
Wow you really are pathetic. So pathetic that I don't even have to tell you to kill yourself, cause there's no chance of you reproducing.
>>
>>17293138
post feet let us judge you
>>
Dude. Don't worry about mumbling. I work in a kitchen and am also incredibly socially awkward. I rarely deal with customers, and when I do it's usually quick and straight to the point of what is said. You will start grtting more comfortable with your co-workers over time and it will help you deal with customers. I feel that way at least. Dont be scared anon. The world is a scary place but asshole customers should be the least of your worries
>>
>>17293219
to be fair to OPs concern, if he's aiming for fast food tier jobs, it might not be a situation where he works exclusively in the kitchen, no matter how much he wants to.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.