[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing Surname as Male
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1290291148185.jpg (63 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1290291148185.jpg
63 KB, 300x300
/adv/, I'm going to change my surname by deed poll to my grandfather's (never met real father and my grandfather only had a daughter, my mum, so I feel he'd be happy with me continuing the name for him)
However, I only intend to use the new surname professionally (and for bills, legal documents etc), and keep my original surname socially

I've thought of the following reasons and considerations, and don't really see any issues, but I was wondering if you guys, as a third party, can see something I'm missing

Pros:
>I'm a medfag and this makes it more difficult for patients and their family to find me on social media (I've had to deal with friend requests before)
>People I meet/know socially can still find me on social media
>Virtually all my friends call me by my current surname. No need to change this
>My current surname is actually pretty cool (certainly unique), and I won't have to drop it completely
>Perfectly legal to do so long as I don't use it to commit fraud

Cons:
>People who I'm not involved with professionally, should they attempt to, won't be able to identify me on the medical register (patients and their family still will as I'll use my registered name at work)
>Should people find documents in my new name, they'll probably think I'm a bit odd or have something to hide
>Awkward explanation to fellow colleagues whom I also know socially
>Awkward explanation to any future partners
>>
Sounds worth it to me, I very much doubt anyone will find it strange, your story of taking up your grandfather's name isn't awkward or weird, I would think you a noble man for doing something like that. Do it OP.
>>
Keep your current last name as a middle name. Solves most of your problems. I know heaps of people who go by their middle name instead of their last name, and most of my mates know me as "Firstname middlename", not "firstname lastname"
>>
All or nothing. This wishy washy bullshit does not pay tribute to your family.
>>
Yeah same
>>
I have legal right to assume 3 diff surnames, and the only annoying thing is sometimes having to explain why. No other issue, don't see it as a bad thing. Good luck doc
>>
Who the fuck uses last names socially? Just tell the few people who give a shit that you've changed your name but you don't really care if they get it wrong and eventually it'll all sort itself out.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.