[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using a "Gimmick" when going out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 007 Kontrust.jpg (282 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
007 Kontrust.jpg
282 KB, 1280x853
Okay, this will sound very desperate, but I struggle to start conversations whenever I'm going out. BUT I play a fairly large instrument which is usually transported in an equally large case or bag. When going to a bar, I could bring it with me and hopefully start a conversation or two with it (people tend to ask me about it), and I'd have a decent reason for having it there as well (just came back from a rehearsal and stopping here to get a drink or two).
Am I retarded? Or could this work?
>>
You're going to be 'that guy' if you do this
>>
>>17277273
I-I think I don't want to be "that guy"...
>>
>>17277264
My face when OP is carrying around a sousaphone or an upright bass.

What the fuck do you play?.
>>
>>17277292
I thought the picture was clear enough.
>>
>>17277264

Do it every once in a while. It's not an awful idea. Don't do it every time you go out.

That's the difference between being a cool musician taking care of his shit and someone walking around with a prop, even if you're lying about just coming from a gig.
>>
>>17277294
Perfectly fine conversation piece. Helps if you look the part, too.
>>
>>17277264
Are you actually good?
>>
>>17277298
Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing it all the time. I've almost genuinely been in that situation, it's barely a lie.
>>17277299
Oh, I do.
>>17277308
Pretty decent. Why?
>>
>>17277313
>Pretty decent. Why?

If you make friends with people while doing this and they aren't impressed with your skills, they'll think you're a loser. Especially if it is a romantic thing.

Of course, this assumes they care enough to witness your playing. Not everyone cares about all of your hobbies.
>>
>>17277331
Only if I lie and hype up the expectations I think. I never said that I'd lie about being an accomplished musician or having a gig, just coming come from a rehearsal or lessons or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with that.
>>
Some mofo gona jack yo shit.
>>
>>17277382
Eh, I look pretty scary and I have a super busted case that makes it look like I'm transporting a piece of junk. And I wouldn't carry around my most expensive bass of course.
>>
>>17277264
Presumably it's a tuba or french horn or something like that. If you can play that you can play a recorder or penny whistle, which is much more practical and a lot more "fun guy"
>>
>>17277411
This was never about playing the instrument, it's just about using it as a conversation starter.
>>
>>17277264

>Am I retarded? Or could this work?

There was an autistic kid at my high school who wore blue sunglasses and khaki shorts everyday who did this exact same thing.

I would audibly laugh at you if I saw you walk into a bar with your road case. I play shows 4 nights a week and I've never seen any musician desperate enough to sit next to his instrument and hope someone wandered over to talk to him about it.

Please forget that you ever considered doing this.
>>
>>17277264
Don't try for gimmicks, be yourself, but also arm yourself with knowledge. If you can't hold a conversation it's because you lack relevant information or you're green in your social skills.

Honestly? Just try and don't mind looking like a awkward dweeb, socializing is just another struggle you need to build experience in to get better at.
>>
>>17277411
>If you can play that you can play a recorder or penny whistle, which is much more practical and a lot more "fun guy"
Though if you're looking for the ultimate "fun guy" instrument, nothing beats the harmonica. Except maybe the guitar, but better still is playing both.

Never bring an instrument you are not prepared to play, OP. You will be asked.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.