[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH MID 2009 13-INCH MACBOOK PRO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 393x250) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
8 KB, 393x250
My Macbook is very old and it gives me some headaches sometimes, but I can't afford another computer right now so I need to fix this. I'm using OS X Mavericks.

It started yesterday when, out of nothing, I simply couldn't do a thing in the computer. When I tried moving files from one folder to another, it gave me "error -50" (same goes for renaming the files). Firefox crashed and the Crash Reporter wouldn't open (instead there was a message saying it could not send reports and the program left a file or something). The game I was playing (Dungeons & Dragons Online) also crashed. Both softwares would not open again and Firefox gave me an error message saying it was already open. I also could not restart or shut down so I had to force it by holding the power button.

After that the computer wouldn't boot and I had to try several times before it actually did. When it finally booted normally (no Safe Mode), Firefox and DDO were still open (Force Quit showed then but there were no windows). After force quitting them they would open fine but after some time the same thing happened again.

It happened about 3 times and now I can't boot at all! After trying about 3 or 4 times, it started to go to recovery mode without me touching anything. I did check the disk and "it appears to be OK". Safe Mode also didn't work (it was shutting down right after the bar hit 100%).

I don't know if this have any connection but it is strange:
When it first happened I was cleaning some folders and then I noticed there was a locked .plist file in the trash. It was the file responsible for search using spotlight. I don't know how it ended up in there so I moved it to the right folder.

I'm desperate and using my phone right now. Please help if you can.
>>
Um. The plist is a file that generally stores your preferences for programs, and deleting them can sometimes be beneficial depending on what program that plist is for. I'm not telling you to delete it but it's probably not the problem.

Have you tried resetting your pram?
>>
>>17273483
Yes I did it and it still boots into OS X Utilities.
>>
>>17273510
Can you restore from time machine?
>>
OS X threw the plots away in case it was broken and made a new on, but it'll ignore the on you put back so don't worry about it. Error 50 is a general can't do anything with that file its broken error, which is not super helpful. Your hard disk probably died, try and back that shit up because a successful backup would eliminate what I think is the most likely issue and also preserve your shit for the troubled times that are coming
>>
>>17273520
No. I did a backup recently but I had to format the HD in which it was in so I can't anymore.
>>
>>17273540
I know the HD is the problem and I do backups from time to time for that reason. I'll still lose some stuff if it's totally dead though. It was working fine before but I had similar problems in the past so I think I might still be able to get over this. I'm fucked if I lose my computer now.
>>
>>17273566
A hard disk is a replaceable part. You could likely get a much better one for $100
>>
I forgot to mention I have dual boot with Windows 7. Is it possible to access files on Mac's partition if I can boot to Windows? That way I could try a backup and then reinstall the OS X. Last time I tried this I couldn't do it.
>>
>>17273568
Probably, but I'm in a bad financial situation right now I will buy a new hard disk when I can but that wont be now.
>>
File: 20160620_012725.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160620_012725.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Everytime I try to boot this thing a new worse shit happens. I just tried holding the power button for 10 seconds and then I plugged the power cable. Now there's a folder with a "?" blinking at the screen. Pic related.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.